Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are LI'ers more dishonest and criminally inclined?
YES -- shiftless weaselry abounds! 10 38.46%
NO -- with the COL here we can't afford to get in trouble and hire lawyers! 9 34.62%
MAYBE -- if we think we can get away with it ... 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

... shiftless weaselry! As per this post from Charlotte, NC:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8727047-post25.html

So, let's vote!

Do you think LI'ers deserve the reputation as shifty and always looking to get around the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... shiftless weaselry! As per this post from Charlotte, NC:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8727047-post25.html

So, let's vote!

Do you think LI'ers deserve the reputation as shifty and always looking to get around the law?
I suspect that the source of the post (the North Carolina forum) has a lot to do with that viewpoint -- meaning that from what I have read on that state's forum, there seem to be many native North Carolineans who resent the influx of so many Northeasterners (a great majority of which are former Long Islanders) bringing our "damn Yankee ways" onto their turf.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:17 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Don't move to NC or SC those most of those people don't get New Yorkers.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
How true; their mental picture of New Yorkers basically includes horns, a forked tail, and fire-and-brimstone.

A common "joke" comment made directly to us at dinner by a native North Carolina couple during a visit:

Q. What's the difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee?
A. A Damn Yankee is one who decides to move here.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:13 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
I'm in Texas and have heard that joke but the punchline is:

A Yankee is someone that moves to Texas.
A Damn Yankee is someone that stays in Texas.

It doesn't offend me; it's all in good fun (in TX at least).

Old 05-10-2009, 10:31 AM

50 posts, read 102,357 times
The Charlotte board always seems to have posts that complain about or make fun of "northerners".

Cities that get an influx of transplants always end up with some bitter natives.

When I lived in Las Vegas, a lot of the natives (or transplants who've lived there for many years) would complain about "all those Californians moving here and trying to change everything".

Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Why do they have to "get" New Yorkers? Ever think that maybe it's the New Yorkers who should be working on "getting" the area they're moving into?

I adjusted to life down here and got into the traditions, history, culture and way things were done in the South (aka my new home) the same way I was into my home town. A sense of place and history is something I think a lot of Long Islanders have lost.

I think the real problem arises when outsiders (sometimes economic refugees) come into an area and immediately start to insult it and claim it inferior. Hey, if things were so great up North then why did they have to head south?

Old 05-10-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Why do they have to "get" New Yorkers? Ever think that maybe it's the New Yorkers who should be working on "getting" the area they're moving into? ......
I think the real problem arises when outsiders (sometimes economic refugees) come into an area and immediately start to insult it and claim it inferior.
I don't think the North-Is-Better attitude situation always applies though. IMHO in most cases it's more that our NY Metro/Yankee habits and personalities often just don't mesh well with Southern culture. We talk fast (especially as compared to most Southerners!), we drive fast, we tend to be impatient with waiting (as opposed to the laid-back 'manana' mindset of the South), and let's face it, Long Islanders especially are pretty much used to instant gratification when it comes to being able to locate something or getting something done. In short, our faster-paced personalities and lifestyles grate on many Southern sensibilities even if we don't say a word about How Things Were Up North.

Of course it works both ways and many transplanted Yankees feel frustrated that Southern life seems to resemble a 78- or 45-rpm record being played at 33.

It's not always possible for a transplant to change his or her personality or lifelong habits to conform to what's normal in their new location -- even if they want to do so. My SO and I know in our gut that we could never stand the slower pace of Southern living and that's why we'd never move there.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:05 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
I'm probably out of line, but IMHO to Clark Street Kid I have to say that although you're morally right, first of all I don't think the other poster meant anything negative about the fact that NC folks just don't get New Yorkers, because they probably don't--they've been southern all their lives. It's just the way it is from culture to culture. There are differences. Doesn't mean either culture is superior or inferior, just different. And, second of all, it's nice that you've tried to fit into the south, but I bet if push came to shove your friendly southern neighbors would still consider you a Northerner and probably will for the next 20 years. And, if they had a job opening they'd be likely to give it to a fellow southerner, if both of you were up for the same job, before they'd give it to you! Again, it's just the way it is. Basically, we're all proud of who we are and where we came from and none of us like people from other places coming in and telling us how we should run things and especially how their way is quicker, more efficient or better in some way. And, it seems people are also usually threatened simply by "different". It's human nature! And, let's face it southerners and northerners not only talk different, they have a very different culture right from birth.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
I'm probably out of line, but IMHO to Clark Street Kid I have to say that although you're morally right, first of all I don't think the other poster meant anything negative about the fact that NC folks just don't get New Yorkers, because they probably don't--they've been southern all their lives. It's just the way it is from culture to culture. There are differences. Doesn't mean either culture is superior or inferior, just different. And, second of all, it's nice that you've tried to fit into the south, but I bet if push came to shove your friendly southern neighbors would still consider you a Northerner and probably will for the next 20 years. And, if they had a job opening they'd be likely to give it to a fellow southerner, if both of you were up for the same job, before they'd give it to you! Again, it's just the way it is. Basically, we're all proud of who we are and where we came from and none of us like people from other places coming in and telling us how we should run things and especially how their way is quicker, more efficient or better in some way. And, it seems people are also usually threatened simply by "different". It's human nature! And, let's face it southerners and northerners not only talk different, they have a very different culture right from birth.
bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island