Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times

Advertisements

My wife is a private school teacher at Good Shephard in Plainview and their Kindergarden program and they get a lot of just missed the cutoff kids as their cutoff is December 31 I believe.

When done the parents have the option of transferring them into first grade, or putting them in public school kindergarden depending on the development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
amoret68m if you do decide to pay tuition to send your child to a school in another school district, depending on how far away this other school is located, your home school district should provide transportation, just as they currently do for children attending out-of-district private schools.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:16 PM

122 posts, read 390,970 times
Thanks, Walter. But my husband and I work at the same place, commute together, and would be dropping her off on our way to work.

Does anyone know if Middle Country has full- or half-day kindergarten?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
amoret68m if you do decide to pay tuition to send your child to a school in another school district, depending on how far away this other school is located, your home school district should provide transportation, just as they currently do for children attending out-of-district private schools.
You're right Walter, SDs usually have a maximum distance limit; don't know if all districts are alike but some use 15 miles as maximum distance (been there, done that ).

Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
Thanks, Walter. But my husband and I work at the same place, commute together, and would be dropping her off on our way to work.

Does anyone know if Middle Country has full- or half-day kindergarten?
Middle Country provides full day Kindergarden.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
Will they provide busing even if the child is not old enough to qualify according to the school district timelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You're right Walter, SDs usually have a maximum distance limit; don't know if all districts are alike but some use 15 miles as maximum distance (been there, done that ).

Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 AM

187 posts, read 863,358 times
I've never heard of any of this! Is it something standardized by NY State or is it on a district by district basis? Is any of this documented somewhere?

And how does the bus part work? The district you live in would bus your kid, likely all by him/herself, to the other school district (assuming it's close enough)? Do they use a whole bus for this or send a town car?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
I've never heard of any of this! Is it something standardized by NY State or is it on a district by district basis? Is any of this documented somewhere?
My recollection is that there was a court case and the Judge ruled that children who attend out-of-district schools, be they religious or secular, are entitled to transportation to be provided by the district in which they reside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
And how does the bus part work? The district you live in would bus your kid, likely all by him/herself, to the other school district (assuming it's close enough)? Do they use a whole bus for this or send a town car?
It seems to depend on how many children in a specific school district need to be bussed to an out-of-district school. As I understand it, some districts pick up these children and then drop them at a transfer point where they change to other buses, with children coming from other school districts, that are headed to the same or nearby out-of-district schools. They reverse this in the afternoon.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
How is the transfer going to work for Kindergarden children? High school kids can be dropped off at a transfer point, but elementary school kids have to be dropped door-to-door, or the transfer has to be performed synchronously.

Throwing another twist.. suppose I own a home in Mineola and Jericho.. and I live in Jericho. I want to send my kids to Mineola for kindergarden alone. Who will provide busing for my kids.. Mineola or Jericho? If my parents are living in Mineola.. or if I am renting my house in Mineola, does this make a difference?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
Legally, according to the Supreme Court, public schools must provide transportation to children going to private school. The type of transportation could vary, but something must be provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island