Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 02:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Don't get an lcd flat screen TV
I hate to admit it, but the biggest TV in my house is a 27" Magnavox that is over 10 years old. For shame! But the tiny little thing still works perfectly so I feel bad throwing it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 02:26 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I hate to admit it, but the biggest TV in my house is a 27" Magnavox that is over 10 years old. For shame! But the tiny little thing still works perfectly so I feel bad throwing it out.
I have to admit that my wife and I splurged after having the same TV for 10 years, and I don't feel bad about it since we haven't gone on a vacation in 3 years. Somehow, Judipatooti thinks I'm a spoiled brat, meanwhile I live in a condo and my wife and I make close to the twice the median family income on LI. Boy, those 2 8 year old paid off cars, that whopping 750 sq foot condo, the no vacations for year, the day care expenses so we both can work...if I only REALIZED how much better I have it than baby booming housewives. Sheesh.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:33 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,075 times
Quote:
If it works fine, keep it! I think a lot of people get into financial trouble by always upgrading. There's no need to buy if what you have works. I applaud you for keeping what you have instead of trading up. If more people were like you, maybe we wouldn't be in this recession now! In the 10 years you've had the same TV, most others have probably had 3 or 4 TV's. I really miss my old 19" black and white TV. Poor thing finally went after 20+ years of loyal service. It had the best picture ever! Now I have a used 27" I bought for next to nothing from some sucker trading up! Works great, nice picture and good sound.

Buying used on Craigslist is another way to save.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
If it works fine, keep it! I think a lot of people get into financial trouble by always upgrading. There's no need to buy if what you have works. I applaud you for keeping what you have instead of trading up. If more people were like you, maybe we wouldn't be in this recession now! In the 10 years you've had the same TV, most others have probably had 3 or 4 TV's. I really miss my old 19" black and white TV. Poor thing finally went after 20+ years of loyal service. It had the best picture ever! Now I have a used 27" I bought for next to nothing from some sucker trading up! Works great, nice picture and good sound.

Buying used on Craigslist is another way to save.

The recession has little if anything to do with people buying new TV's. It has a lot to do with overpriced housing. A $1,000 Tv, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to break anyone. However, buying a house for 500K that's should really be worth 300K..that can break a lot of people, and did, and still is.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:47 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The recession has little if anything to do with people buying new TV's. It has a lot to do with overpriced housing. A $1,000 Tv, in the grand scheme of things, is not going to break anyone. However, buying a house for 500K that's should really be worth 300K..that can break a lot of people, and did, and still is.
I agree with this.... I mean I used to play PS One games, then PS2 came along.... its was not just the price.... and it was not like my PS one was not working.... I still got the PS2 and there was instant gratification over the upgrade of the quality of entertainment !! And now we have PS3, I don't own one yet, but I just used this for comparison.

As far as house goes.... going from 250k to 500k in 5 years without any major visible changes is like buying the PS one at PS2 prices....

Note: apology to non-gamers on the forum... PS One, PS2 and PS3 are gaming consoles by Sony under the playstation banner.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
How frugal are people living here?.....I know people that dont turn their thermostat above 62 deg. in the dead of winter! Brrrrrrr. They do this b/c they cant afford the heating bill.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:50 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
LOL - good to see I'm not the only one--my biggest TV is a 10++ year old 27" SONY and the (only) other one is an older 19" for my office, where I spend much too much time .
Like you, I can't see throwing out something that works just to "upgrade" as long as I'm perfectly happy with it!

Old 05-12-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
How frugal are people living here?.....I know people that dont turn their thermostat above 62 deg. in the dead of winter! Brrrrrrr.
Mine does not go above 65 degrees in the winter

Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post

I am an avid Freecycler and have received many Ball jars for FREE.
Freecycle is great - both for giving stuff away and for getting things you can use. It can be a way to get things you want but shouldn't really spend money on, or it can help people in need get items that still have plenty of use in them (sometimes even brand new!) without having to spend money better used for food, medical attention, rent, etc.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:20 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Mine does not go above 65 degrees in the winter
I like to stay lightly clothed when at home, that to me is a feel good factor. Unfortunately Long island residents are poor enough to be unable to afford the heating bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: