Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 01:05 PM

21 posts, read 71,051 times

Advertisements

I'm in a wierd situation, and I'm not sure what to do. I will try to keep this brief.

I had one year lease rental that expired in October. I spoke with Real Estate Company to let them know that I will not be renewing. I had everything out by the 28th of October,which is what they asked for...
and I was supposed to meet with the real estate agent to return the keys and collect my deposit....

The agent never showed on the day scheduled and my hundreds of calls have gone unreturned. It is now May, and they still haven't tried to contact me regarding the keys, or the deposit. Every time I call the RE agency, they send me to the agents voicemail. I've asked to talk to a manager and they refuse to connect me.

My question is 1) how do I go about getting my deposit back? 2) do I have any rights to use of the rental?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Hi Jason,

First, why are you dealing with a real estate agent for move out instead of with your landlord?

If you were out on time and left the apartment undamaged. You have a right to get your security deposit back. Unfortunately, you may have to sue the landlord if they do not voluntarily return it to you.

As for you having any rights to use of the rental, sorry, but the answer is no. If your lease expired and you moved out, you are done there. The issue of the deposit does not matter on that count.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:15 PM

21 posts, read 71,051 times
Hi Tom,

For whatever reason, the real estate agency handled all transactions regarding the rental. I do not even know who the official "landlord" is

Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
They had a "reasonable" amount of time, usually 30 days is considered reasonable, to return your deposit and give you an itemized statement of any deductions.

Send a letter of demand, certified return receipt requested, to the office and look up the home's actual owner and send one there as well. If still no response then you can file in court and file a complaint with the Attorney General

TenantNet - CTRC Fact Sheets
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/real_estate_finance/pdfs/rent_security.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
First, why are you dealing with a real estate agent for move out instead of with your landlord?
It sounds like the RE was acting as a property manager. We had this in an aparment before.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
You can also call the NYS Department of State at 518-474-4429 to file a complaint against the real estate agent.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:38 AM

486 posts, read 2,112,479 times
Were you living in a building or a private home?

What about paying a visit in person to the office?

How about sending a certified letter in case you have to go to court you need to have documents.

Keep a log of the dates and times you've attempted to reach the RE agent and manager as this may come in handy if you do have to go to court.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:03 AM

I would caution against going in person, it could quickly escalate and you still have no proof of your demand.

At this point the best course of action is to send a demand letter for return of the full deposit, plus interest and fees stating you've left numerous messages to no avail and send it to both the home owner and the RE agent's office via certified mail, return receipt requested. Once you receive the green card back count down about 30 days and then file in court against both. Be sure you have your copy of the lease and receipt/cancelled check that you gave them the money and a copy of your move in condition report.

They're probably hoping you will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island