U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 AM
AMJ AMJ started this thread
 
32 posts, read 42,132 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a position as an engineer in LI. We currently live upstate Buffalo, NY area. We have 2 children ages 5 and 2. My husband current salary is 62k and I have a BS in Biochemistry (but currently not employed). We live in a small town where everyone has land and the neighbors do not really talk to each other much. We HATE it!! To much land to take care of and not enough things to do.

My husband would like to accept the job offer, but I am unsure based on threads here that LI is an affordable place to live. I want good schools, and a safe community (Low Crime). I want to be able to walk my dog with my daughter in our community and be safe.

I am looking for a real idea of what type of income would be required to accomplish this. We would probably rent for a bit and I would either find employment on LI or work on my MS or PhD.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
 
9,902 posts, read 12,977,357 times
Reputation: 5464
It all depends on what you described as "safety". Do you call getting hooted and hollered at, tailgaited by overly aggressive people of questionable class "not safe"? (I dealt with this in Islandia just yesterday). I don't think you're going to be attacked while walking your dog in most places on LI, but you may have to deal with knuckleheads, excessive noise, and a wannabe gangsta element in the lower end around here.

I wouldn't tell anyone making less than 100K household to consider moving here...it's just way too expensive and a much better quality of life can be had elsewhere. 62K in Buffalo is equivalent to about 150K on Long Island in terms of QOL. That's not an exaggeration. Housing is easily 3X as expensive here as in Buffalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Georgia
2,506 posts, read 6,007,248 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
My husband has been offered a position as an engineer in LI. We currently live upstate Buffalo, NY area. We have 2 children ages 5 and 2. My husband current salary is 62k and I have a BS in Biochemistry (but currently not employed). We live in a small town where everyone has land and the neighbors do not really talk to each other much. We HATE it!! To much land to take care of and not enough things to do.

My husband would like to accept the job offer, but I am unsure based on threads here that LI is an affordable place to live. I want good schools, and a safe community (Low Crime). I want to be able to walk my dog with my daughter in our community and be safe.

I am looking for a real idea of what type of income would be required to accomplish this. We would probably rent for a bit and I would either find employment on LI or work on my MS or PhD.

Thanks for the help.
It depends on where will your husband will be working, how far are you guys willing to travel to work and a host of other factors.
Nassau is expensive than Suffolk. If you can get a job and push the household income over $100-125k you might be okay as far as buying a house is concerned with some travel. I would strongly suggest to have some solid savings to back it up in this economy... maybe from the sale of your house upstate ???
Renting, I think is a good idea in the beginning.... look around the towns and find the right one, in your case schools are important, and Long Island has good school districts, but in any case you may need to work another job in the near future to afford a good house in a good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,731 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Reputation: 11687
I totally agree with dman. A friend of mine moved back to Buffalo 3 years ago (she was from there) with her DH and 2 little ones and bought a house on a teacher's salary for about $100K. THey are living large up there. Down here on a Long Island teacher's salary and a Long Island school admin salary they were living on the 2nd floor of someone else's Cape Cod and were NEVER going to be able to buy a house.

Biggest thing you have to consider is your DH's salary - as dman said $62K in Buffalo is about $150K down here. You can't even compare the cost of living according to my friend. If your DH isn't going to get that big of a raise you'd need to get a job probably.

Other than that your wish list can be accomplished here, but I don't think you can expect people to be overly friendly. I work with a lady from Tonawanda and she HATES it here, says the attitudes stink and everyone's a snob. That's her perspective coming from up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 08:30 AM
 
9,902 posts, read 12,977,357 times
Reputation: 5464
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I totally agree with dman. A friend of mine moved back to Buffalo 3 years ago (she was from there) with her DH and 2 little ones and bought a house on a teacher's salary for about $100K. THey are living large up there. Down here on a Long Island teacher's salary and a Long Island school admin salary they were living on the 2nd floor of someone else's Cape Cod and were NEVER going to be able to buy a house.

Biggest thing you have to consider is your DH's salary - as dman said $62K in Buffalo is about $150K down here. You can't even compare the cost of living according to my friend. If your DH isn't going to get that big of a raise you'd need to get a job probably.

Other than that your wish list can be accomplished here, but I don't think you can expect people to be overly friendly. I work with a lady from Tonawanda and she HATES it here, says the attitudes stink and everyone's a snob. That's her perspective coming from up there.

An engineer shouldn't accept anything under 100K to move here...and you'd still be taking a de facto pay cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:37 AM
AMJ AMJ started this thread
 
32 posts, read 42,132 times
Reputation: 15
My husband was offered the position at Brookhaven National Laboratory and we would like to have a commute of no more than 45min to 1 hr. I would like to use my degree and am currently unemployed due to a lack of job openings in my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM
AMJ AMJ started this thread
 
32 posts, read 42,132 times
Reputation: 15
Maybe I would have better luck in LI!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:40 AM
 
4,536 posts, read 9,865,497 times
Reputation: 2016
AMJ, I hate to say it but the previous posts have been correct. Unless your coming here to LI with 100K to put down on a home and a salary of 100K I wouldnt make the move. Im a young engineer with a excellant salary and we are thinking about moving off the island ourselves. I have family members who live in the burbs of other metro areas and live on 65k a year, with a mortgage.
Its nice here but everything from utilities to insurance is much more expensive!! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 AM
 
4,536 posts, read 9,865,497 times
Reputation: 2016
Well working at the Brook. lab will be a help. You can find "cheaper" housing out east. We could help you out better if you would tell us how much he is being offered to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJ View Post
My husband was offered the position at Brookhaven National Laboratory and we would like to have a commute of no more than 45min to 1 hr. I would like to use my degree and am currently unemployed due to a lack of job openings in my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2009, 09:44 AM
AMJ AMJ started this thread
 
32 posts, read 42,132 times
Reputation: 15
That is what I figured. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top