Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:59 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times

Advertisements

The unfortunate part is that voting no to stand up to bloated school budgets won't be effective. The School Boards will cut programs and services to the students to reduce budgets. Outlandish school programs are not the cause as most agree, faculty compensation is the cause and is negotiated outside the school budgets. Vote no until they halve the school budget and comp will be the same but the students will have nothing. It's almost criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
The unfortunate part is that voting no to stand up to bloated school budgets won't be effective. The School Boards will cut programs and services to the students to reduce budgets. Outlandish school programs are not the cause as most agree, faculty compensation is the cause and is negotiated outside the school budgets. Vote no until they halve the school budget and comp will be the same but the students will have nothing. It's almost criminal.
Do you honestly think that every year the voters should be given a referendum to decide teachers salaries? Do you support the same thing for police and every other public sector employee? "Let's see, I think they all should be making $10 an hour!!"

You elect the school board to represent you. They negotiate the teachers contracts. It's called representative democracy. Vote for school board members, whose agenda is to cut comp, and you'll get what you want.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post

yes. Let's halve the school budget so teachers make minimum wage. Educators with a master's degree will make the same as a worker at McDonalds. Please. That is soooo unrealistic. oh, and lets take all the programs away from kids too.

Your idea makes no sense. You should move somewhere with low taxes and terrible schools and see if you feel the same way. The reason LI has such amazing school systems is buget. It is a major selling point on LI.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
^^ Oh here we go again...LI schools are sooo great, they are worth the 10k in taxes a year, yada yada yada....There are plenty of good schools nationwide with the fraction of taxes we pay here. You need to get across the bridges and tunnels a little more.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
yes. Let's halve the school budget so teachers make minimum wage. Educators with a master's degree will make the same as a worker at McDonalds. Please. That is soooo unrealistic. oh, and lets take all the programs away from kids too.

Your idea makes no sense. You should move somewhere with low taxes and terrible schools and see if you feel the same way. The reason LI has such amazing school systems is buget. It is a major selling point on LI.
Please reread, your comment is not in context with what you quoted.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Do you honestly think that every year the voters should be given a referendum to decide teachers salaries? Do you support the same thing for police and every other public sector employee? "Let's see, I think they all should be making $10 an hour!!"

You elect the school board to represent you. They negotiate the teachers contracts. It's called representative democracy. Vote for school board members, whose agenda is to cut comp, and you'll get what you want.

You've missed my point. You're the second one so I must have been unclear. Point being voting no, rejecting school budgets, is not the venue for making a stand against high school taxes, teachers comp is the source of the bloated budgets and is not subject to referendum so why make the kids pay for the poor leadership of the school boards.

I agree with your last point 100%. Elect officials on the school boards with the will to stand tall against the Teacher's Unions. Until the people say enough is enough the extortion will continue.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:21 PM

130 posts, read 535,865 times
Well all I can say is thank God that Pat-Med was one of the two that got voted "NO", with the $15,000 taxes I pay annually, it is JUST ENOUGH! How much more are we expected to pay, seriously.............it isn't like I live in a gorgeous community with a huge house...........

Old 05-21-2009, 03:30 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post

(I am married to a teacher...so feel free to dismiss my comments) Eliminate County level goverment. We pay for an extra layer that exists, in its shear enormity especially, in no other state. I grew up in CT, nothing at the county level. A local Town selectman (person) and a receiver of taxes. Aside from a lightly funded public works and park and rec at the local level, what else do you need? Things like garbage hauling and recycling are private enterprises and a choice in these other states.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
(I am married to a teacher...so feel free to dismiss my comments)
No need to do that.

Quote:
Eliminate County level goverment. We pay for an extra layer that exists, in its shear enormity especially, in no other state. I grew up in CT, nothing at the county level. A local Town selectman (person) and a receiver of taxes. Aside from a lightly funded public works and park and rec at the local level, what else do you need? Things like garbage hauling and recycling are private enterprises and a choice in these other states.
Are property taxes significantly lower in Connecticut than on Long Island?

Here's a start: this is something that Cuomo is trying to push ... making it easier to consolidate local governments below (not including) the county level:

AG Cuomo: Bill would address 'too many governments' -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-pospec2212788535may21,0,4403677.story - broken link)

Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
(I am married to a teacher...so feel free to dismiss my comments) Eliminate County level goverment. We pay for an extra layer that exists, in its shear enormity especially, in no other state. I grew up in CT, nothing at the county level. A local Town selectman (person) and a receiver of taxes. Aside from a lightly funded public works and park and rec at the local level, what else do you need? Things like garbage hauling and recycling are private enterprises and a choice in these other states.
Less layers of administration? A higher percentage of school tax revenue actually reaching the school? Yes please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island