Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 18,893 times

Advertisements

I am moving to NY from WA and we are looking at a house rental in Bayville. We have two large dogs and have had a tough time finding a rental that is willing to take the dogs and is a good fit. Hence, Bayville as a serious consideration where we found a cute little house next to the beach. I will be commuting twice a week to Penn station and then to 62nd. Another two days a week I will be commuting to Old Westbury. I will be commuting during non rush hour times. Does anyone have experience with either of these commutes? Also, I will be coming home from NYC at about 8pm. Is safety a concern at that time? Thanks for any tips/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 PM

1,761 posts, read 3,208,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megshea View Post
I am moving to NY from WA and we are looking at a house rental in Bayville. We have two large dogs and have had a tough time finding a rental that is willing to take the dogs and is a good fit. Hence, Bayville as a serious consideration where we found a cute little house next to the beach. I will be commuting twice a week to Penn station and then to 62nd. Another two days a week I will be commuting to Old Westbury. I will be commuting during non rush hour times. Does anyone have experience with either of these commutes? Also, I will be coming home from NYC at about 8pm. Is safety a concern at that time? Thanks for any tips/advice.
you would probably want to commute to NYC from either Hicksville or Syosset instead of taking the dreaded Oyster Bay line (which would deliver you much closer to Bayville but is the worst line on the LIRR IMO.). Many many more trains to/from Hix/Syosset, plus the fact that the OB line goes bad quickly in inclement weather. The definition of inclement weather to the LIRR: anything but sun.
Here is a link to the LIRR schedule:
MTA LIRR - Schedules & Fares
You do not have to worry about safety on the LIRR .
Bayville is a great little town but parts do get badly flooded at times and there are just a few roads in and out. It's kind of unique for this area - remote and quiet. You have to drive down to Oyster Bay or to Glen Cove for big supermarkets (there is a small one in Bayville), CVS, Walgreens etc.

Your commute to Old Westbury could be done by automobile many ways - most likely drive down to NY106 to either NY 25A in East Norwich or NY 25 in Jericho and continue west to Old Westbury. I would guess that commute is 40 minutes to an hour during rush hour , less than that off rush hours.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM

Thanks so much lifetimeliguy. Your information is very helpful!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,722,766 times
Bayville is a great, quirky little town, but anticipate a long commute in terms of hours. While another poster has suggested Syosset or Hicksville as a good train line, be aware that Hurricane Sandy has made West Shore Road (the most direct route between Bayville and those stations) completely impassable. Politicians are promising restoration by the summer, but I wouldn't believe anything that comes from their mouths. This means that, to get to one of those stations, you will have to go west down to Locust Valley and then work your way south.

You could take the train from Locust Valley, but as you'll see from the schedule, there are wide gaps between trains in off hours. At 8pm, you'll be standing in Penn Station waiting and waiting for your train as you watch others leave. For trips to Manhattan, you could not find a much more inconvenient place to live than Bayville, especially with one of the two exit roads not in use.

Your trip to Old Westbury by car, however, will be easy. Just leave enough time to get there. You'll be traveling on two-lane roads with no passing, often behind big black 400-horsepower Mercedes or Range Rovers with the inconsiderate drivers toodling along at 25 mph. Welcome to the North Shore.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much lifetimeliguy. Your information is very helpful!
from today's Newsday - don't let this discourage you , but it's part of the deal of living up there: West Shore Road (mentioned) is the main route south from Bayville to Oyster Bay and Hicksville/Syosset. This may impact your commute.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bayville's sole gas station has had it rough since Sandy.

Its electricity was out for a week and the station couldn't run its pumps. When power returned, floodwater was found in one of its three fuel tanks.

Now, just yards away, a digital sign and orange construction cones announce the closure of storm-battered West Shore Road for repairs and the disruption of traffic on which area businesses depend.
"We used to be really busy," said Ron Youngs, 65, co-owner of the Gulf gas station and adjoining auto repair shop. "If the road's open, we'll sometimes pick up inspections or tire work, but not lately."

West Shore Road, a critical connection between Oyster Bay hamlet and Bayville and Centre Island, is closed for nine months as Nassau County performs $9 million in emergency repairs.

Sandy's storm surge caused parts of the harborside road to collapse and reduced portions of the seawall to rubble.

Motorists who previously used the direct 2-mile route must drive 5 extra winding miles through Mill Neck and Locust Valley.

"Pre-construction work" began mid-month, county public works spokesman Michael Martino said. Only West Shore Road residents and emergency vehicles have access, he said.

The road was originally slated to be repaired in three phases lasting 18 months each with one lane open. Elements of phases one and two will be incorporated into the fast-tracked work, but the fate of the rest of the original plan is "undetermined," Martino said.

Bayville officials said stoplights along Bayville Avenue, which runs the length of the village, were adjusted last month to create longer green lights and ease congestion to and from the detour.

Commerce on either side of West Shore Road is being hurt.

Mario's Pizzeria in Oyster Bay hamlet now tells its Bayville customers that deliveries will take about 45 minutes with the detour rather than the usual half-hour, employee Peter Spanos, 23, said.

Richard Valicenti, 56, owner of Bridge Marine, a full-service marina, said he's losing some customers who bring their boats on trailers and refuse to brave the detour's hilly, curving roads.

Brigitte Barteau, 48, owner of The Bridge Cafe, said, "I've definitely lost weekend business."

Valicenti, Barteau and others said they hope West Shore Road will reopen by summer, when Bayville enjoys an influx of visitors.

Truck drivers making commercial deliveries to Bayville also are griping about detours down wooded roads and under low bridges, several business owners said.

Dina Abdelkader, 52, co-owner of ADOR Coffee, a cafe, said the truckers, too, must face the new reality.

"It's inconvenient, but if they want the business, they're going to have to take the detour," she said.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM

7 posts, read 16,272 times
as someone who lives in Bayville i will agree that it sucks not having west shore road...especially since i used to do a lot of shopping, eating, etc there...not so much anymore...

Old 12-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Bayville is a great, quirky little town, but anticipate a long commute in terms of hours. While another poster has suggested Syosset or Hicksville as a good train line, be aware that Hurricane Sandy has made West Shore Road (the most direct route between Bayville and those stations) completely impassable. Politicians are promising restoration by the summer, but I wouldn't believe anything that comes from their mouths. This means that, to get to one of those stations, you will have to go west down to Locust Valley and then work your way south.

You could take the train from Locust Valley, but as you'll see from the schedule, there are wide gaps between trains in off hours. At 8pm, you'll be standing in Penn Station waiting and waiting for your train as you watch others leave. For trips to Manhattan, you could not find a much more inconvenient place to live than Bayville, especially with one of the two exit roads not in use.

Your trip to Old Westbury by car, however, will be easy. Just leave enough time to get there. You'll be traveling on two-lane roads with no passing, often behind big black 400-horsepower Mercedes or Range Rovers with the inconsiderate drivers toodling along at 25 mph. Welcome to the North Shore.
Just posted that today after reading in Newsday . is it still possible to take the back way (Cleft Rd, Factory Pond Rd) up to the stands ? Is West Shore Road open south of Cleft Road?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Thanks so much to everyone that posted. It sounds like the commute will be challenging. If we decide to live there, I am glad that we will be aware of the ups and downs of the Bayville area.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,150,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Just posted that today after reading in Newsday . is it still possible to take the back way (Cleft Rd, Factory Pond Rd) up to the stands ? Is West Shore Road open south of Cleft Road?
Bayville resident here. No, W. Shore Rd. is totally closed from Oyster Bay to Bayville unless you live on it. I also heard there was significant damage to the hydraulics of the Bayville draw bridge. Best route is over Mill Hill to Oyster Bay Rd., bang a right on the other Oyster Bay Rd., a right at Barney's Corner on Bayville Rd, at end make a right on other Bayville Rd which will bring you into Bayville at the Stands.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,150,193 times
Quote:
Thanks so much to everyone that posted. It sounds like the commute will be challenging. If we decide to live there, I am glad that we will be aware of the ups and downs of the Bayville area.
If the rental is on the west end of town, your commute wouldn't be THAT bad. You could always shoot out through Glen Cove and take the electric train line out of Hicksville (about a 25 min drive and 50 min train ride into Penn Sta.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island