U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 AM

113 posts, read 293,001 times

Advertisements

I have an 11 Month old has has been prescribed a fluoride supplement to be given orally each evening since he was 6 months old. My Dr. said that children should be taking some form of fluoride until they are 13 years old. When searching around I found some disturbing news about fluoride and fluorinated water on Long Island.

Groups Push Fluoridation on Long Island Despite Increasing Evidence of Harm | NewsLI.com

"Levittowners voted out 29 years of water fluoridation in 1983. Carle Place and the Nassau communities bordering NYC followed in 1996. The Suffolk County Legislature voted down their Health Commissioner’s fluoridation plan in 1991. Now Long Island is fluoridation-free yet enjoys a lower cavity rate than most fluoridated NYS counties and NYS, as a whole, which is 73% fluoridated."

How many of you give your children or have given fluoride supplements? I am going to meet with the Dr this weekend and question him but it all doesn't sit very well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:06 AM

7,315 posts, read 7,748,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post
I have an 11 Month old has has been prescribed a fluoride supplement to be given orally each evening since he was 6 months old. My Dr. said that children should be taking some form of fluoride until they are 13 years old. When searching around I found some disturbing news about fluoride and fluorinated water on Long Island.

Groups Push Fluoridation on Long Island Despite Increasing Evidence of Harm | NewsLI.com

"Levittowners voted out 29 years of water fluoridation in 1983. Carle Place and the Nassau communities bordering NYC followed in 1996. The Suffolk County Legislature voted down their Health Commissioner’s fluoridation plan in 1991. Now Long Island is fluoridation-free yet enjoys a lower cavity rate than most fluoridated NYS counties and NYS, as a whole, which is 73% fluoridated."

How many of you give your children or have given fluoride supplements? I am going to meet with the Dr this weekend and question him but it all doesn't sit very well.
Flouride is basically poison that happens to make your teeth strong. My wife came home with it from the doctor when my son was a baby, and I put the kabash on it almost immediately. Question the doctor, if you get "the eye roll", find another doctor.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

122 posts, read 243,418 times
What dman72 wrote. Flouride is only effective when applied topically. European countries have eliminated it from their drinking supply because it does not help prevent cavities and is a poison (that's why it says on the toothpaste tube "do not swallow").

Old 05-21-2009, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 37,902 times
Default Ingested fluoride no benefit to teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post
I have an 11 Month old has has been prescribed a fluoride supplement to be given orally each evening since he was 6 months old. My Dr. said that children should be taking some form of fluoride until they are 13 years old. l.
Tell your doc about this study that he probably isn't aware of:

According to a systematic review of fluoride supplement research published in the November 2008 Journal of the American Dental Association, "There is weak and inconsistent evidence that the use of fluoride supplements prevents dental caries in primary teeth." In fact, the authors could find only one study indicating fluoride benefited primary teeth "However, the study lost a high number of participants to withdrawal and therefore is potential highly biased," they write

Further, mild-to-moderate dental fluorosis is a significant side effect to children who consume fluoride supplements, the researchers write.

Fluoride supplements, dental caries and fluorosis: A systematic review -- Ismail and Hasson 139 (11): 1457 -- The Journal of the American Dental Association

This is a news release from 2007

New York - July 2007 - Fluoride supplements put children six and under at significant risk of permanently discolored teeth, according to a review of studies recently posted on the American Dental Association’s (ADA) web site in their new section, “evidence-based dentistry,” for dentists and their patients. (1)

Fluoride supplements, in graduating amounts up to 1 mg daily, are often prescribed to children who don’t drink fluoridated water, ostensibly to reduce tooth decay.

“This review confirmed that in non-fluoridated communities the use of fluoride supplements during the first 6 years of life is associated with a significant increase in the risk of developing dental fluorosis, write researchers Ismail & Bandekar and first published in Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology, February 1999, (2) but posted to the ADA’s website July 2007.

Fluoride ingestion, once thought to reduce cavities, can lead to dental fluorosis – white spotted, yellow, brown and/or pitted tooth enamel. Modern science indicates fluoride absorbs into tooth enamel topically, primarily.(3)

Studies link dental fluorosis to children’s kidney damage (4) and bone fractures (5).

The ADA and Centers for Disease Control recently advised that fluoridated water should not be mixed into concentrated infant formula, in order to decrease dental fluorosis risk – now a growing U.S. problem. (6)

Never safety-tested by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) (7), fluoride supplements do more harm than good.(8)

"One of the most surprising and controversial findings of the National Preventive Dentistry Demonstration Program concerned the lack of effectiveness of fluoride mouth rinsing and fluoride tablets in preventing tooth decay in children," according to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (8a)

Fluoride varnish is now being applied to infant's teeth. It contains a hugely toxic 22,600 ppm fluoride (8b). The varnish is ingested and absorbed into the bloodstream. Fluoride

blood levels are comparable with amounts found after brushing with fluoridated toothpaste or after ingesting a 1-mg fluoride tablet (both not recommended for babies)

Warnings on the back of fluoridated toothpaste tubes, which contain 1,000 ppm fluoride, advise calling poison control when more than used for brushing is swallowed.

“While fluoride is proclaimed a significant cavity reducer, there is little, if any, science to support that," says lawyer Paul Beeber, President, New York State Coalition Opposed to Fluoridation.

A National Institutes of Health 2001 news release supports Beeber's assertion: "... the (NIH) panel was disappointed in the overall quality of the clinical data that it reviewed. According to the panel, far too many studies were small, poorly described, or otherwise methodologically flawed." (9) Over 560 studies evaluated fluoride among those reviewed by the NIH Consensus Development Program panel for the Diagnosis and Management of Dental Caries.

Recent research shows that fluoridation delivers risks with little, if any, benefit.(10)

References:

1) ADA.org: Evidence-Based Dentistry: Fluoride Supplements (http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/ebd/reviews/fluoride_supplements.asp - broken link)

2) "Fluoride supplements and fluorosis: a meta-analysis," Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, 1999 Feb;27(1):48-56, by Ismail & Bandekar .

Fluoride supplements and fluorosis: a meta-analysi...[Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1999] - PubMed Result

3) Recommendations for Using Fluoride to Prevent and Control Dental Caries in the United States

4) "Dose-effect relationship between drinking water fluoride levels and damage to liver and kidney functions in children," Environmental Research,2007 Jan;103(1):112-6. Epub 2006 Jul 10, by Xiong, et. al

Dose-effect relationship between drinking water fl...[Environ Res. 2007] - PubMed Result

5) "Dental and Early-State Skeletal Fluorosis in Children Induced by Fluoride in Brick-Tea," Fluoride 2005;38(1):44–47 Cao, et. al

http://www.fluorideresearch.org/381/files/38144-47.pdf

6) http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr.../s403a1t23.gif

7) Fluoride Dangers: Fluoride - Never FDA Approved for Ingestion

8) "The case for eliminating the use of dietary fluoride supplements for young children," Journal of Public Health Dentistry, Fall 1999, by Burt

The case for eliminating the use of dietary fluori...[J Public Health Dent. 1999] - PubMed Result

8a) Improving Dental Care (http://www.rwjf.org/files/publications/books/2001/chapter_09.html - broken link)

8b) Fluoride Varnishes: A Review of Their Clinical Use, Cariostatic Mechanism, Efficacy and Safety -- Beltrán-Aguilar et al. 131 (5): 589 -- The Journal of the American Dental Association

9) The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Consensus Development Program: Diagnosis and Management of Dental Caries Throughout Life

10) "Community Water Fluoridation and Caries Prevention: A CriticalReview," Clinical Oral Investigations, by Pizzo et.al, 2007 Feb 27;
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/Pizzo-2007.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 AM

7,315 posts, read 7,748,802 times
In other words, don't do it!!

When they are old enough to brush their teeth without swallowing, consider flouride toothpaste..until then, forget about it.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,509 times
From what I've learned, fluoride, when applied topically, is helpful in preventing tooth decay (although debatable). Howerver, when ingested, it is absolutely TOXIC and HARMFUL! It calcifies the body and damages the Pineal Gland, and is believed to lower IQ. I was so happy to find out that Long Island water is NOT fluoridated. Some law-makers are trying to change that however, we cannot allow it!!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

45 posts, read 45,817 times
with all the other crud in LI water, who really cares about the cavity creeps?

dude...you buggin

Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM

629 posts, read 795,124 times
I always threw out the fluoride drops my wife would pick up after diligently filling the pediatricians prescription - she gave up after a while.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:37 PM

2,922 posts, read 3,083,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I always threw out the fluoride drops my wife would pick up after diligently filling the pediatricians prescription - she gave up after a while.
Do you drink coffee or tea? Drink 15 cups of it in one shot, let us know the harmful effects. The concentration of flouride in childhood vitamins and/or drops is not sufficient to poison anyone. Unless of course, you give them the whole bottle to drink at once.

Does your last name have the letters D.D.S., D.M.D or M.D.? If not, what evidence do you have as to negative effects of fluoride in the prevention of caries? Let me guess, you bring your Merck manual to the doctors office too? You're the parent and your free to do what ever you wish, but when the cavities start showing up don't complain. Oh! I forgot, it will be your kid that does the complaining.

I hope DSS doesn't read these boards.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:39 PM

45 posts, read 45,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
think ya been chuckin yer other meds too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island