Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move from LI to NC considering all family and job go with you???
In a heartbeat 30 32.61%
Probably yes 11 11.96%
Maybe 10 10.87%
Probably no 18 19.57%
Never 23 25.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:05 PM

330 posts, read 887,838 times

Advertisements

Wondering if people want to leave long island for NC or not, assuming you could bring your family and job with you adjusted for cost of living, or maybe get a better job.

I really don't know what people think, and am curious to see. This is not meant to be an accurate indication of desire to move there, as clearly there are a lot of people that migrate there, just curious of what the sentiments of people on city-data are? Hope the poll works, its my first one, if not then this is a wasted thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I voted "in a h/b" because we've pretty much got one foot out the door.

First of all my one sister relocated to FL a couple of years ago. My other sister was going to follow her, but settled in NC instead. My parents are now moving to NC. Obviously this makes a move a lot more palatable to us. IT's nice to know you will have family nearby.

Second, my DH's job is portable. He works for himself and can do what he does anywhere.

Third, it's just too good an opportunity to pass up. Live mortgage-free in an area where everything is new, it has all the amenities we are used to, low low taxes, etc, etc....even the school thing doesn't bother me. We can send our kids to private school for less than half of what our mortgage is, if need be. But I don't think that'll be necessary - we are very involved in our kids' education and that's half the battle. Wake COunty schools are the best in NC. My sister is very happy with the education her kids are receiving, and she's also very involved in their schooling. I'm not so concerned about AP classes, IB programs and the like. If my kids need extra intellectual stimulation I will get it for them, and I'll easily afford to do so. I took AP classes in H.S. and guess what - no one cares. No one ever asked me on a job interview what I did in H.S. It doesn't go on your resume.

I think one thing people are losing sight of is - I'm not looking to re-create Long Island in NC. I know it will be different. Some things, better. Some things, worse. I'm willing to make the trade-off because I am sick to death of the financial situation here. My DH and I have been in our house 12 years, and our mortgage payment has gone up about $700 a month since we bought FOR NO OTHER REASON than our property taxes, which were just under $5K when we moved in and are now just over $12K. The reasons for that - I don't care anymore. I can't change it. My DH has to pay an MTA tax, even though he never uses the MTA's services. I can't afford to live here when I retire, so what is the point of treading water till then? OUr kids won't be able to afford to live here....we think we should give them a chance to live where they might be able to afford to live once they get out of college. The state university system is better, so if we want/have to go that route we can.

So yes, it's been a lot of talking and thinking and thinking and talking but we keep coming to the same decision - this is the best thing we can do for our family. I'm sure we will miss some things here in NY, but we can always come visit. And we will. And I suspect that will be enough. Because financially I just DO NOT want to do it anymore. I can, but there's no need. And I realize we are nothing more than lucky to be in this position where we can make this kind of move. But if I can take advantage of the situation, I'm going to!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
No way. It's still the south and bible belt.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM

342 posts, read 1,093,721 times
We are new to Long Island and have no family here; so when comparing regions NC is much nicer. I'd only move to the triangle area though. Chapel Hill schools are very, very good; much better than NY. I think it is difficult for people who have lived here to have perspective on Long Island. If you grew up here and your family is all here, then of course you love it here and would want to stay. Life is really about relationships and if you have strong family bonds that would be difficult to give up. If you have nothing tying you to the area then there really would be no reason not to move. Well, that's my 2 cents.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:31 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,457 times
I wouldn't move to NC if you GAVE me a house & a job. Why do so many folks equate Utopia w/lower taxes & generic stick built-homes?

Old 05-24-2009, 01:55 PM

330 posts, read 887,838 times
Though never is a strong word, i also chose never. While financially you might make out, New York city just a skip away is a big sell for me. My parents live in NC and some friends also live there. I have been from Greensboro, to Charlotte, to Raleigh and between and it just wasn't for me. I guess some people are willing to pay for those things they value.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:45 PM

116 posts, read 254,360 times
djdairyp, you are sooooo condescending - you make it out like the only things that CAN be valued are here in NY - when you grow up and have a home and family and realize you can't afford to go into NYC you might see things differently. Then again you might not. But don't act like a filthy city that is not only the center of YOUR universe but terrorists' as well has to be the "be all and end all' for everyone, or that anyone who lives anywhere else is a bumpkin. RTP has the highest concentrations of PhDs in the country. Not everyone who lives west of the Hudson or south of the Belt Pkwy is an idiot.

I thought you started this thread to get some genuine info on peoples' thoughts....now I see you are just trying to further your usual (and tiresome) agenda.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:37 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I am starting to get a bad feeling this condescending thread partially resulted from my comment in the "LI school budgets" forum about myself and other NYers possibly feeling "contained" in NC. I want to say that that doesn't mean that everyone would feel this way; also in that thinking I was thinking a native Bible Belter might feel the same way in reverse about this neck of the woods. It was just a way to explain how some might think. (and by the way, I voted "maybe" here)

My brother-in-law is thriving down there and as a graduate of RPI I know all too well about how "smart" RTP is (and know many people from my college who moved to it and think it's a great place to work and a great place to live).

Despite what I said, I am not one who thinks the be all and end all of intelligencia in this country ends at the Hudson River and the Belt Parkway. My apologies.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:15 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No way. It's still the south and bible belt.
Howd you feel about Falwell, NASCAR and the Piggly Wiggly?

Crooks

Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Howd you feel about Falwell, NASCAR and the Piggly Wiggly?

Crooks

Never been in a Piggly Wiggly, but I imagine it's no different than any other grocery store. Nascar, don't care about it. Falwell, don't know what that is.

If I HAD to leave LI, I would choose PA. It's more like NY than NC is, and much closer. Not as much of a culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island