Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times

Advertisements

I looked into Central air a few years ago. I needed 2 systems (One on my burner, one in the attic ) because I have a 4 level house. Would have run around $9500.
The main level of my house would run through the pre existing duct work for my forced air system but the ducts for upstairs would have to be installed. It is not recommended to run CA through heating ducts. AC ducts are much larger than heating ducts (Cool air is denser) and cool air moves slower than hot air through the system. Also, heating and cooling returns are in seperate places in the room! A heat return should be low on the wall (Cool air falls) and an AC return should be up high (Hot air rises). I had a few AC guys tell me they could make it work but others said "Don't do it-you won't be happy with the end result".
I would suggest you really listen to the details. Let them pitch the job to you and ask questions. Find out exactly where ducts and returns will go and keep in mind many HVAC guys, for whatever reason, try to sell units that are too large. AC is one of those things that actually work better "Smaller" than bigger. They like to use closets to run ducts so be aware you will loose a little bit of closet space too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It is not recommended to run CA through heating ducts. AC ducts are much larger than heating ducts (Cool air is denser) and cool air moves slower than hot air through the system. Also, heating and cooling returns are in seperate places in the room! A heat return should be low on the wall (Cool air falls) and an AC return should be up high (Hot air rises). I had a few AC guys tell me they could make it work but others said "Don't do it-you won't be happy with the end result".
I can definitely back you up from personal experience on that one! I had the CAC/heating duct combo in my last house, because I figured it would be less expensive than paying for the CA plus also paying for installing baseboard (the original system was old steam radiators which had to be completely ripped out). What a mistake! After two years of hating how the heating worked I had my heating guy install a separate baseboard heating system on the first floor. Unfortunately because of the structure of the house, doing the same on the second floor would have required ripping open multiple walls and since by that time I was already suspecting I'd not be keeping this house longterm, I opted to keep the CA/heat duct combination up there.

But I hated it every winter for as long as I lived there.

Trust me... when it comes to heating and CA, it's just like the Nirvana song says: "Gotta keep 'em separated!"

Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
^^ All you do is switch the fan speed on the blower for the summer and winter seasons.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Trust me... when it comes to heating and CA, it's just like the Nirvana song says: "Gotta keep 'em separated!"
Kurt just rolled over in his grave.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Kurt just rolled over in his grave.

Yea....I'm embarrased for Tfraz too.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,681 times
I have a 3 story house with a basement too. Had to put in two condensers and two air handlers (attic and basement)..plus all new duct work (I have a steam heat system). It cost me 12,600. They guy is very good so if you need a name, let me know.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:43 AM

520 posts, read 1,652,476 times
Ouch!!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I have a 3 story house with a basement too. Had to put in two condensers and two air handlers (attic and basement)..plus all new duct work (I have a steam heat system). It cost me 12,600. They guy is very good so if you need a name, let me know.

Wow.

Thanks so much

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
That's not an "ouch", that's actually right in the ballpark depending on what brand/quality level of system was put in. For a Carrier or Trane I'd say that was a very good deal!

Five years ago I put in a double system (2 condensers/2 air handlers/all new ductwork), all high-efficiency Carrier, plus a Mr. Slim, in 4800-sf Colonial. Best price I got from a solid reputable company was $23,500.

Obviously it would cost more nowadays.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM

520 posts, read 1,652,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
That's not an "ouch", that's actually right in the ballpark depending on what brand/quality level of system was put in. For a Carrier or Trane I'd say that was a very good deal!

Five years ago I put in a double system (2 condensers/2 air handlers/all new ductwork), all high-efficiency Carrier, plus a Mr. Slim, in 4800-sf Colonial. Best price I got from a solid reputable company was $23,500.

Obviously it would cost more nowadays.
The "Ouch!!" wasn't for the price. It was for your Nirvana reference or should I say Offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island