Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,075 times

Advertisements

At the very least, I want to take a few classes and learn how to fix my own car and motorcycle. If I really like the first few classes, perhaps I'll make a career out of it. Can anyone recommend classes in Suffolk? Oh, and I should mention that I am a woman, so I need a place that can accept that without any negative or special treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,137,983 times
Suffolk Community College offers automotive courses.

Last Revised: 10/15/08Copyright © 2000 Suffolk County Community College/Auto Tech Dept. All rights reserved.

Good luck wherever you go!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Thanks Gue. I'll check that out. If I only take enough classes to be able to fix minor things on my car and know what my mechanic is talking about, I'd be quite happy!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:25 PM

122 posts, read 390,827 times
Hi, Lialleycat,

Have you started reading "Shop Class as Soulcraft"? I just got my copy today and am enjoying it thoroughly.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
Hi, Lialleycat,

Have you started reading "Shop Class as Soulcraft"? I just got my copy today and am enjoying it thoroughly.
No, I've not heard of that one. I'll see if my local library has it. I'm on my way there tonight to pick up two things I had on reserve anyway.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM

It just came out yesterday, so I doubt it's in your local library. However, the author had a really good piece in the Times last week: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/ma...abor-t.html?em .

In the book, the author explains how thinking and doing diverged during the industrial revolution, and writes eloquently about the (economic, spiritual and, yes, intellectual) imperative of learning a trade or developing a craft.

I've read some of your posts and I think that you--and Gue, and KellyFG--might be into it.

Last edited by amoret68; 05-29-2009 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Edited for typo

Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,137,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoret68 View Post
In the book, the author explains how thinking and doing diverged during the industrial revolution, and writes eloquently about the (economic, spiritual and, yes, intellectual) imperative of learning a trade or developing a craft.

I've read some of your posts and I think that you--and Gue, and KellyFG--might be into it.
Yup, you know me! Graduated college at age 50...learned a new trade...

Old 05-29-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Yup, you know me! Graduated college at age 50...learned a new trade...
Really? What do you do? I'm impressed with anyone who accomplishes a mid-life career change. At 40, I often wonder if it is too late for me to find some other line of work. I'm an "administrator" (whatever that means) who is becoming increasingly disillusioned with higher ed.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:22 PM

You were right amoret68, the library doesn't have it yet, but they ordered a copy. I don't buy books, I can read several in a weekend and would be broke if I was buying them all the time!

I'm hoping to accomplish a mid-life career change myself. I'm also an 'administrator' I think it means 'she who gets the crap work' I'm divorced, no kids and am ready to reinvent my life into something that I look forward to everyday. Not one where I cringe and pull the covers over my head when the alarm goes off! Now I just need to find it. In the meantime I want to experience all life has to offer. Something will ignite my passions and be my next career. In the meantime I'll learn to do a little of everything.

You girls might be interested in the Outdoors Women programs. My friend an I are going to attend the Vermont one in September. Doe Camp Abnaki Women's Weekend Retreat

Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM

The retreat sounds really good, but I have a five year-old starting kindergarten in September, so no travelling for me.

I'm lucky that I don't get much crap work. In fact, I even get to decide what I want to do most of the time. It's just that I don't feel what I'm doing is worthwhile. And, even though I get to decide how to do my work and (mostly) which tasks or projects I have to take, I still take issue with the fact that someone else essentially controls the majority of my waking life. I guess it's my midlife crisis settling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island