Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 AM

27 posts, read 63,323 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure it was a drunk driver this past weekend I encounter on Northern State Parkway...nothing like driving 50mph on fast lane at night and can't stay in his/her own lane eh?

Our laws are ironic if you think about it... we legalized alcohol so we can have businesses/jobs revolving around it...knowing it can become and addiction or cause kidney failure with a lifetime of drinking... yet at the same time, we condemn any individual whom have one too many and got behind the wheel??? Handing out traffic tickets or high school education is suppose to help remind people to behave responsibly???

They lost me at making this a legal drink/beverage. It's like giving people access to drug but then asking the same group to "use" it responsibly. Honestly, this is in the same category as cigarettes. Where's the logic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
Executions and lifetime suspensions are not an answer, and the one person that makes that point is branded an alcoholic?... Maybe just make alcohol illegal...Oh yeah, that was tried...and failed.

Most jurisdictions already have laws that allow prosecutors to charge convicted drunk drivers with murder, manslaughter or other appropriate crimes if the situation warrants. Unfortunately, this does not do enough to prevent these tragedies from occurring. It also does not do enough to deter the criminal from getting behind the wheel in the first place.

Some areas have tried to confiscate vehicles from drunk drivers. This too is not delivering the hoped for results. Although it does make great sound bites, and create increased awareness, for the various politicians who proudly proclaim how "tough" they are whenever a reporter is around.

IMO, the reality is that there is no quick fix here. So let's be novel and try to look at some facts.

There are some variances in statistics, but most seem to indicate that at least a 3rd of all DWI/DUI arrests are repeat offenders. Obviously that is a group that needs to be targeted. Mandatory ignition interlocks, breathalyzers at bars and restaurants, free "tipsy taxi" services, lengthy jail sentences, electronic house arrests, branded license plates, proactive probation and mandatory counseling all could be seen as tools to effect change in this group. Note that the majority of drivers with suspended licenses continue to drive, some stats show as much as 70%, so license suspension alone does not work.

Young people seem to be the highest contributors to alcohol related crashes. 16 to 34 also has very high percentage of the alcohol related incidents that they are involved with result in fatality. Mandatory ignition interlocks, breathalyzers at bars and restaurants, and free "tipsy taxi" services, branded license plates along with increased and improved education and zero tolerance laws need to be tools for this group.

Alcohol related traffic fatalities have been greatly reduced in the past 30 years, some stats will say by as much as 45+%, to me this means some things must be working. Certainly, increases in drinking age and education must be considered as contributing to this. Improved police enforcement and sobriety checkpoints also are contributors. All of these things need to continue.

For you NY/LI bashers, I'm sorry to tell you that NY as a whole, and LI specifically, are not among the leaders in DWI/DUI. In fact NY, as a percent of population, is in the lower third of most statistics in this regard, making it among the safer. Now Texas on the other hand...........

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Now Texas on the other hand...........
What about Texas?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Sometimes it seems to me that there are some problems that you can't eradicate, like roaches. Drug use, dwi's etc. You can curb them, even almost knock it out but it's going to keep happening. Outside of eliminating the DD on the spot it's not going to happen.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
I think that the most effective way to cut down on DWI issues is if somehow, potential drunk drivers are made aware of their BAC level BEFORE they get in the car. The earlier post I made mentioning the BAC machines in all drinking establishments up in Quebec would be a VERY effective deterrent. Mainly, because if someone is over the .08 limit and is made AWARE of that fact, I'd have to think that it would deter the majority from drinking then driving and opting for a taxi or eating something to help them sober up to a point where they can drive safely. Making someone aware of their BAC level cannot help but make them think of the consequences of their actions before they kill someone or ruin their lives with a DWI arrest. Personally, I have a small, handheld device in my car that I've had for years that I can blow and know my BAC level before a law enforcement officer has to tell me. But, like I mentioned earlier, I'd have to think that bar & restaurant owners would be against having a BAC machine in their establishment because it'll effect the bottom line to a small but certain extent. The presence of the machines should be mandated by law but I can't see it happening, at least in my lifetime.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
What about Texas?
Statistically, one of the higher states in terms of alcohol related crashes. For example, in 2006 there were 1,544 alcohol related deaths in Texas (NY was 483). This accounted for 45% of all traffic deaths in the state of Texas (NY figure is about 33%, and as mentioned is in the lower third in the US). Texas also has consistently been among the top 2 states in total number of alcohol related traffic fatalities.

Bottom line is you are significantly less likely to die in an alcohol related traffic incident in NY than you are in Texas.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think that the most effective way to cut down on DWI issues is if somehow, potential drunk drivers are made aware of their BAC level BEFORE they get in the car. The earlier post I made mentioning the BAC machines in all drinking establishments up in Quebec would be a VERY effective deterrent. Mainly, because if someone is over the .08 limit and is made AWARE of that fact, I'd have to think that it would deter the majority from drinking then driving and opting for a taxi or eating something to help them sober up to a point where they can drive safely. Making someone aware of their BAC level cannot help but make them think of the consequences of their actions before they kill someone or ruin their lives with a DWI arrest. Personally, I have a small, handheld device in my car that I've had for years that I can blow and know my BAC level before a law enforcement officer has to tell me. But, like I mentioned earlier, I'd have to think that bar & restaurant owners would be against having a BAC machine in their establishment because it'll effect the bottom line to a small but certain extent. The presence of the machines should be mandated by law but I can't see it happening, at least in my lifetime.
Agreed, proactive actions and enforcement need to be the next generation tactics. Make it an ignition interlock and it won't matter what the bar owners think.

Although in NY, bar and restaurant owners (actually all liquor servers) do have a liability risk. So in my mind the reduction of liability (hence lower insurance costs) offsets some risk to the bottom line. Also, if you make 'em blow and then help them get home (Tipsy Taxi), you have a better shot of having the customer come back again and again, resulting in a shot at improved bottom lines.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Most of Western Europe has very strict laws against drinking & driving and it is considered a social faux pas to do this.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
Western Europe is quite a bit more educated and culturally aware of what is going on in the world than our citizens. Their laws regarding DWI and posessing small amounts of drugs for personal use are much more effective and invoke so much more common sense than what our country has in place. That is fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Most of Western Europe has very strict laws against drinking & driving and it is considered a social faux pas to do this.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Statistically, one of the higher states in terms of alcohol related crashes. For example, in 2006 there were 1,544 alcohol related deaths in Texas (NY was 483). This accounted for 45% of all traffic deaths in the state of Texas (NY figure is about 33%, and as mentioned is in the lower third in the US). Texas also has consistently been among the top 2 states in total number of alcohol related traffic fatalities.

Bottom line is you are significantly less likely to die in an alcohol related traffic incident in NY than you are in Texas.

where did you find those stats and were they comparable to New Yorks size and population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island