U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:44 PM

111 posts, read 264,298 times
Default FARMING YOUR OWN CHICKENS in SMITHTOWN

I always wanted to work as a quasi farmer and was wondering what would be the benefits and laws regarding farming your own chickens. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,681,698 times
We keep thinking of getting a couple for our half acre.

But I don't know if they would hold their own against the cats.

I'm interested also if anyone has tried this.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,624,664 times
"what century is this?"

Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM

15,738 posts, read 16,300,679 times
Don't know about Smithtown, but there was a thread on here about people being allowed to have chickens in Huntington.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,397,244 times
I grew up in Smithtown, and my next door neighbor had a chicken coup right beside our property. They kept breaking through it and going all over our lawn. I don't recommend this unless you keep them away from your neighbors' lawns, because you'll create some very angry neighbors, like my parents...lol.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:26 PM

111 posts, read 264,298 times
You mean the chicken broke through the chicken wire? I wouldn't let them roam at all. I would get a tractor coop and place it in different parts of the property.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:31 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,397,244 times
It might not have been them breaking through--it might have just been the owners letting them loose. I was pretty young when this went on, but I can remember like 50 chickens roaming our yard at different times.

As long as they're kept away, I'm sure it will be ok.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 PM

5,643 posts, read 4,007,175 times
He let them loose. Of course they wouldn't stay just on HIS property. Actually, they not only went on our property, they ran out into the street too. He had a rooster too that used to crow at 4 AM every morning. Fun.

Guess who always ended up chasing chickens all over? ME, not HIM. We laid down the law to him, keep them cooped up off our property, and out of the street for their and everyone's safety, or we are calling the pound. He never let them out again.

This was in the early 90s.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,681,698 times
I found an interesting thread on this~think they are too noisy for where I live!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pets/...-chickens.html

Old 05-28-2009, 05:14 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,396,504 times
I don't know what Smithtown's code is, but in Brookhaven Town, you can have up to 6 hens on your property. No roosters allowed. I have a friend who keeps chickens in Ridge and used to know a woman who had bantam chickens in Shirley. They are great pets and the hens are not unpleasantly loud. They do make a bit of noise when they lay an egg and sort of talk to themselves when they are happy. Much nicer noise to me than the neighbors yapping dogs! Roosters however are noisy and that's why they are banned in most townships on LI. When people complain chickens are noisy, they usually are referring to the roosters.

I would approach the neighbors and get their feelings on the issue, just so they aren't always complaining to the town. You can always bribe them with some fresh eggs too. You have to keep the coop clean. If you let them out in the yard, bantams can fly, so remember that if you choose bantam birds. Your neighbors may not want chickens in their yards!

There are a few places on Long Island that sell pre-made coops and chicken tractors (a movable coop/pen combo). I'm looking for the perfect plans to build my own chicken tractor. I wanted to get birds this year, but due to some family illnesses, my energy got focused elsewhere and the tractor didn't get built. So this summer I'll build the coop and I'll get the birds next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island