U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 AM

130 posts, read 442,332 times

Advertisements

I know many of you persuaded me to stay FAR FAR away from middle island, gordon heights area. I am still looking in sound beach/rocky point but the houses there in our price range are only 2 bedrooms and we really need 3. I am not picky on interior or anything but I need 3 rooms min. So I am looking in Selden now. I found one that meets my criteria, just wondering what you think? the SD is Middle Country. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,589,271 times
IMHO Selden is fine. I am sure there will be plenty of people here who will bash "skeldon". It is a blue collar family neighborhood. Nothing special, but not bad either. It is a safe area also. Not that crime dosnt exist, but it average for LI. Schools are average also. I live in centereach, which is the next town west, but about the same as far as seldon is concerned.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,439,315 times
Selden,Rocky Point,Sound Beach are all comparable areas.I like Selden because of it's proximity to major highways and businesses.Nice town all around but major upgrade from the gordon heights area.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM

224 posts, read 528,892 times
I like Selden. Close to all, and pretty reasonably priced.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:59 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Selden,Rocky Point,Sound Beach are all comparable areas.I like Selden because of it's proximity to major highways and businesses.Nice town all around but major upgrade from the gordon heights area.
UH OH, crooks, where is your reply??????????? Selden, RP, SB all in one sentence? LOL. Just kidding. I agree, i actually like the options of MCR, 347, Nichols Rd. And as bad as MCR and 347 is, there is plenty of shopping, and places to eat.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 PM

13,904 posts, read 16,529,671 times
Selden is OK -- my daughter takes music lessons off of Boyle Road near 25 ( neighborhood behind Bobs)and overall the people keep up their homes in that section. I see people out walking, kids out playing -- family friendly.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:44 PM

19 posts, read 28,460 times
I grew up in Selden, and my parents still live there. IMHO, its a pretty good area. Its not the best place in the world.....but far from the worst. The school district as good (I did fine and I found all my teachers to be caring and I learned a lot from them). The library is top notch - one of the best in the country.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:48 PM

130 posts, read 442,332 times
I like what I hear. I also liked that it was close to the mall, shops and all that. RP & Sound beach seemed so far but I liked that it was quiet and now that I look at Selden, RP & SB it is much much nicer then Middle Island.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM

8,126 posts, read 8,439,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
I like what I hear. I also liked that it was close to the mall, shops and all that. RP & Sound beach seemed so far but I liked that it was quiet and now that I look at Selden, RP & SB it is much much nicer then Middle Island.
One guideline is that NORTH of middle country rd. in selden is USUALLY but not always nicer.If you have questions on specific streets feel free to ask,anytime.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:27 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,106,541 times
Seldens certainly better than Gordon Heights...but the Rt 25 corridor is a suburban nightmare.

I wouldnt put in in the same camp as RP/SB ...Centereach/Farmingville perhaps.

Its the whole North Shore vs Mid Island argument.

Some may be willing to go 10 min North for a better QOL.
Some feel the extra 10 min in the car ruins the QOL.

Who knows.

Crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island