Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:07 PM

11 posts, read 34,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
I don't remember the name of the realty company in Roslyn.. but it was actually right next the flower hill complex on main street. It was very nice, but the rent was 1950 3 years ago for 2 bed 1 bath.

Many agents did not return my call, but some did. But I saw my share of bad places. There was one apartment listed as a 2 bedroom, but it turned out that the living room was converted to a 2nd bedroom ( with no living room). The asking rent was 1500$ for that.

There are wesbites/numbers to call for places like westwood village apartments , fairhaven apartments in Hicksville, Mineola etc. Call them to see if they have vacancies.

Thanks, I've heard horror stories about the apartments in Hicksville and the Westwood ones in Westbury, so I've avoided them. Mineola might be an option and Roslyn is certainly a nice area. Sea Cliff is also lovely but I haven't found any complexes there so it'd have to be a legal duplex.

It was only by happenstance that I found the agent who handles the apartments in Roslyn too, so I may have to just stay on her case until she throws an apartment my way just to be rid of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
I know a couple with a young child who live in Fairhaven in Hicksville/Jericho. They are actually in Jericho and they seem to think its ok. Westwood seems nice too, but I do not know anyone staying there. What horror stories? Noise from neighbors?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:28 PM

186 posts, read 734,540 times
Default I hear ya

I agree with you...it sucks out here on Long Island when it comes to finding a decent rental apartment without having to go through a RE Agent. I moved from Virginia last year and was so frustrated (I still am...looking for an apartment now). For some reason there are no good rental apartments in this part of the country and most don't have a decent website or some solid listing on a website, except for the crazy Avalons and Archtones.

If you do find something worthwhile, please share it with us - it will be a big help. BTW, we live in Mineola now in an apartment complex and its okay, nothing great. PM me if you need info about that...

Last edited by ssd005; 06-01-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 PM

I think it depends on where the unit in Hicksville/Jericho is located. The complex is so huge that its literally a neighborhood unto itself, so while one block might be comfy enough, another block could be a nightmare, so I think it depends. The nicest ones seem to be in Woodbury, which is gated and looked gorgeous (from the outside at least). I've read reviews about Westwood and the biggest issue seems to be small thefts (like newspapers getting stolen) and poor maintenance and noise. Anything that needed to be fixed never got fixed either, but then these were the same complaints I've been reading and hearing about Fairhaven. Your mileage will probably vary.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
I agree with you...it sucks out here on Long Island when it comes to finding a decent rental apartment without having to go through a RE Agent. I moved from Virginia last year and was so frustrated (I still am...looking for an apartment now). For some reason there are no good rental apartments in this part of the country and most don't have a decent website or some solid listing on a website, except for the crazy Avalons and Archtones.

If you do find something worthwhile, please share it with us - it will be a big help. BTW, we live in Mineola now in an apartment complex and its okay, nothing great. PM me if you need info about that...
Truth be told I didn't really like the Mineola area. It felt too congested to me and too commercial and concrete for my liking. Garden City though was gorgeous, and surprisingly some of the rental prices were pretty much on par with other less affluent areas, though still too expensive for me. If you're interested though, there's a lovely building called Hilton Hall that rents apartments on 7th Ave and Hilton Ave, and there's a few others as well sprinkled throughout that district. The RE that oversees those types of properties is called Garden City Properties.

Garden City Real Estate, Garden City South Real Estate, Nassau County Real Estate, Garden City Properties Real Estate

There are pretty wild fluctuations in prices too. I've seen one bedrooms priced at $1500 and then 2 bedrooms priced at $3000, so your mileage will vary.

Archstone must be on drugs by the way. $3000 a month to live next to a Target superstore and then some, and people wonder why it's always noisy. Long Island, sigh.

I've checked the Avalon communities in Glen Cove too, and while the complex looks very nice with several necessities added (like a washer/dryer), it's not an area where you could frolick about on the grass without the fear of getting mugged, and again, it's still too expensive, since you're paying for added amenities not everyone needs (or even wants)

You could also check out the Levittown apartments called Cambridge. Cambridge Village - Levittown, NY Apartments for Rent - Home Properties

It's in a residential neighborhood and the grounds look reasonably maintained. There's also a family friendly bowling alley nearby as well, and when you drive out of the neighborhood onto Hempstead Turnpike, there's a major shopping center across the road that has just about everything you might need, including a BJ's. Just down the road is a Target and a Stop N Shop too. I can't speak as to the quality of the apartments though, but their website is well designed and thought out, allowing you to pay your rent online as well. If they ever offer a modest unit under $1500 I might give it a look myself.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:14 PM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
I have mentioned this a few times in other threads, and its not nassau county but pretty close to it, Bayside queens has a huge supply of apts in that range, some nice, some not so nice, and the area is pretty cool. NYC income tax becomes a factor though, but it might be worth looking into. You can get many listings off craigslist.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
There are many apartments in Farmingdale and all that are openly advertised in the smaller local newspapers.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln4Truth View Post

Thanks for the MLSLI link, I haven't known about that site before. Elke, if independent management companies generally don't use brokers how do they fill their units, by going out and grabbing people off the streets?

?
Funny!
They advertise directly. I've also heard of some management companies encouraging their existing tenants to refer new tenants in return for a "consideration".

Old 06-01-2009, 05:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Funny!
They advertise directly. I've also heard of some management companies encouraging their existing tenants to refer new tenants in return for a "consideration".
Many have signage on their property with their direct phone number, so if anyone sees the building and is interested in renting, they can call them.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
There are many apartments in Farmingdale and all that are openly advertised in the smaller local newspapers.
Not really interested in Farmingdale, but they do seem to have apartments on every block. It's actually pretty funny, I've never seen so many apartment buildings concentrated in a single area like that. A friend's brother actually lives in one of the co-ops that used to be apartments too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Funny!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Many have signage on their property with their direct phone number, so if anyone sees the building and is interested in renting, they can call them.
That's what I've seen, no evidence that a building was renting out apartments until I saw the signage. I think the only thing that will make this somewhat easier is to focus on an area I like (right now that's Roslyn and Sea Cliff) and just take a drive around to see if I missed anything. That's how I found the Oyster Bay apartments too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island