Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times

Advertisements

I lived in Bohemia for 8 yrs. Nice, middle class community. Connetquot schools are good but not as good as Sachem (biased info from a Sachem grad)

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I lived in Bohemia for 8 yrs. Nice, middle class community. Connetquot schools are good but not as good as Sachem (biased info from a Sachem grad)

Good luck.
Stats say the Sachem grad is full of it. Maybe he's talking about sports, not academics.

Connetquot is about 8-12 districts ahead of Sachem most places I've looked. Sachem is not that great, despite what the athletic department wants you to think.

And, I have extensive experience with people in Sachem districts. Only jocks tend to think it "rules".

Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikmove View Post
The house is on Karshick St. Not too sure where that lies with the streets and such you all mention. I have to look at a map.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Stats say the Sachem grad is full of it. Maybe he's talking about sports, not academics.

Connetquot is about 8-12 districts ahead of Sachem most places I've looked. Sachem is not that great, despite what the athletic department wants you to think.

And, I have extensive experience with people in Sachem districts. Only jocks tend to think it "rules".
Ive always heard Connetquot was a little better.

Sachem is massive.

Crooks

Old 06-01-2009, 02:14 PM

96 posts, read 433,698 times
BOHEMIA IS A VERY NICE TOWN HOWEVER karshick ave IS A FAIRLY BUSY ST. ITS NOT A MAJOR ROAD BUT A SHORT CUT THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT MANY PEOPLE TAKE. IT'S STILL VERY NICE BUT BE AWARE. GOOD LUCK

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
Quote:
thanks so much everybody. it is so overwhelming when you are relocating. we had our search set to the babylon/west islip area and then our realtor threw in this monkey wrench on a area I knew nothing about. Your input is invaluable!!! The house is on Karshick St. Not too sure where that lies with the streets and such you all mention. I have to look at a map.

Thanks again for your help.
i think bohemia is a nicer area than most of west islip/babylon. karshick st is just north of sunrise hwy, so its about as far from the airport as u can get for bohemia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
BOHEMIA IS A VERY NICE TOWN HOWEVER karshick ave IS A FAIRLY BUSY ST. ITS NOT A MAJOR ROAD BUT A SHORT CUT THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOOD THAT MANY PEOPLE TAKE. IT'S STILL VERY NICE BUT BE AWARE. GOOD LUCK
that is true

Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
i think bohemia is a nicer area than most of west islip/babylon. karshick st is just north of sunrise hwy, so its about as far from the airport as u can get for bohemia

that is true
OK lets not get stupid here.

La Boheme is not nearly as nice as West Islip or Babylon.(Islip Terrace and North Babylon perhaps) but I agree its an oft overlooked gem.

Crooks

Old 06-01-2009, 07:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
I agree, Karschik is busy in some sections & its a very long road that I believe runs northeast from sycamore ave.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
thanks so much everybody. it is so overwhelming when you are relocating. we had our search set to the babylon/west islip area and then our realtor threw in this monkey wrench on a area I knew nothing about. Your input is invaluable!!! The house is on Karshick St. Not too sure where that lies with the streets and such you all mention. I have to look at a map.

Thanks again for your help.
Someone else wrote and I agree -- Karshick is a busy east-west cut through street between Lakeland and Pond.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM

64 posts, read 194,529 times
What does a commute to the city (Midtown) look like from here (Bohemia)?

Is the best bet drive to Ronkonkoma station or is there a better option (from someone not currently on Long Island)? I'm all over the place with my searches and just trying to net out areas that I see good reviews on, whether or not they are realistic options for us.

Thanks in advance all.

Last edited by TheBS19; 08-12-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island