Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,382 times

Advertisements

I have never had such a horrible time with a landlord. We live in Nassau County NY My landlord has been telling us to leave that she will break the lease because she wants to sell the house. She flip flops on this one minute saying get out and the next saying stay...I have been trying to be accommodating by having several realtors in over the past month but said that it could only be done on Saturday between 12 and 4 due to having a special needs baby.

We are trying to move with having found a house (working out the details for a move date of June 15th) since I am having panic attacks with dealing with her accusing me of illicit and illegal activity, having other people living here, being a bad mother, hiding behind my daughter...etc. Granted out rent is due on the 1st but we have been having a really hard time...We have never owed more than the current rent and 90%of the time we pay it by the 5th.

I can home to 4 messages with her cursing telling me to shove my security up my fat rear (not so nicely), that she has a key and will throw our things out, she needs proof that we are leaving..blah blah blah....then her husband left a message saying that he is coming here on Wednesday to repair the electric...and no matter what he is coming in...COINCIDENCE???
I think not.....

I am afraid to leave the house and every time the phone rings and I see her on caller ID I freak out...Seriously heart pounding ready to throw up ....

What do I do..We have NO money for this to go to a lawyer but do I have ANY rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM

93 posts, read 242,775 times
You say you have a lease. The landlord cannot just throw you out. In order to get rid of you, they'd have to start eviction proceedings for nonpayment of rent...You will be paid up on the 5th it sounds like, so there is no case there...Doesn't sound like the landlord is going that route anyway...Don't be intimidated...renters have rights too.

Even if the house sold, it would be sold subject to the terms of your lease (if you were not moving)...Usually when the landlord wants to sell and there is a renter, the landlords gives the renter concessions to help them get out sooner...Sorry that you got a pain of a landlord...

You can google 'renters rights' or go to your local town hall for a booklet on renters rights.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 PM

172 posts, read 718,866 times
keep all the messages and call the cops on her.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:20 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
it is ILLEGAL for her to enter your apartment without letting you know, for a valid reason.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
All good advice. It is correct that the landlord cannot break the lease. If they sell the house, your lease is still valid. They cannot just break it without a valid reason (as contained in the language of the lease).

As for the threats, you could keep the recordings, and then file a criminal harrassment complaint against her.

I would tell her that this is what you intend to do. I would also tell her that if she wants you to agree to break the lease, you will do so only if she pays your moving expenses.

Landlords like that make me sick.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
I agree with TomMoser. She should also pay a real estate fee if you have to use a realtor to find another home to rent. She has no right to do this to you if you have a lease that isn't up yet.

I hope once you leave, the house stagnates on the market and she can't sell it and has no income coming in. That is what she deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island