Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:13 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,020 times

Advertisements

Don't worry so much about who you know. I know many people, including myself that knew no one and got a high school teaching job on a great district on LI. I never even attended public school and had 3 offers to 3 different LI districts (2 being pretty prestigious). Sometimes it is who you know, especially in elementary ed. In high school, not as much. Most of my department got in on great interviews, resumes, and demo lessons. Many of them taught in Queens. I may have been unusual to be hired right out of school with no experience.

Math teachers especially are in demand. All of my friends that teach math (I teach history) got jobs in LI schools (but 2 of them did not keep the jobs and weren't asked back). LI schools are picky. You need to put in long hours and go through strict tenure processes in many of the districts. Try your best, but don't give up because you don't%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:09 AM

61 posts, read 210,045 times
Agree. A master in education is one of many requirements for the job. Not to be confused with the job’s requirements.

From a personal observation, few of our friends are teaching on LI in different districts. (Great Neck, Herricks and Syosset) All hired without knowing that special “someone”. A degree from Teachers College, Cornell and Steinhardt probably helped. Then again, they probably demonstrated the same commitment to excellence during their probation. And that certainly is a job requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Everyone who can't get a teaching job blames nepotism. I am a public school teacher on Long Island and we have had a math opening for the past three years (pregnancy leaves). After the interviewing process and selection, all three teachers were not a good fit for the job, and not asked back. It is hard to find good teachers. It is a demanding job and a lot of the newer teachers don't want to put in the time required.

I have 10 years experience and have interviewed/hired many teachers. Most crumble under the pressure, can't handle the classroom discipline issues or don't put in enough preparation time to develop the required lesson plans to teach the kids of today.

I recently had a substitute teacher cover my class without reading my instructions and not handing out my work. When asked why, this substitute (trying to get a teaching job) responded "Ohh, I didn't see it there (on my desk), and the kids seemed to be busy anyway." Do you think we will hire this person?

There are positions out there, we hire teachers every year, we just don't keep a lot of them.

Trip

Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,975 times
I have to admit that I was told that Math teachers always get jobs. I graduated last May with my teaching certification in math and still do not have a permanent job. I am a substitute in multiple districts but nothing has come up permanently. Unfortunately, when you apply to jobs, so many teachers are out of work, that you are against candidates with more experience or have their masters degree. Schools have their choice of who they want. It would be much better to get dual certified in another area, get your 5-9 extension, or get on substitute lists as soon as possible to get more experience. Definitely apply for whatever jobs you see posted on OLAS or in the NYTimes, but it will be tough. I would advise continuing for your graduate degree until the economy picks up and math and science will be the first positions needed.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:11 PM

257 posts, read 751,013 times
Math teacher are certainly better off than most, but it is very difficult to get a teaching job (and retain it) on Long Island. I am a Special Ed teacher in a public school on the north shore in Nassau, and my district hasn't hired anyone since me in my department in 6 years! Unfortunately the special ed area has been flooded. I happen to have a dual certification in math, which I think is the only real reason I've been retained as long as I have. Many teachers are being excessed, and the districts that are hiring are interviewing people with a lot of experience. It's really hard for recent grads now. If you don't land anything this year, I suggest getting hooked up with a couple of districts for subbing, and see if you can teach evenings for SAT prep/Regents prep classes, or get hooked up with a tutoring service. Best of luck.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:04 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,159 times
I wish the OP good luck, and I think good Math teachers are worth their weight in gold. However, I have heard from teaching friends that their children are having a very hard time securing jobs. Even the Math Science positions are getting tons of applicants because of so many teachers being excised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island