Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
ok, but how much do you spend on 3 tons of pellets?
Last year 3 tons was $900 including delivery. This year it'll probably $1000.

It's still better than oil ($1500 at a minimum) and not burning. Actually I used 75 gal last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Quote:
ok, but how much do you spend on 3 tons of pellets?
Just under 300 a ton - they were 200 a ton when I started buying them. But that keeps me warm all winter long, really warm. I was averaging 500 a month on the house trying to stay somewhat warm - 60-65. Now I'm getting 70's in the house and am quite comfortable from October through March, though this year I was burning in April too, which is why I decimated the entire 3 tons. But my heat was home grown and produced here in America and even if it cost the same as other heat alternatives, I would use the stove because of that.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
ah. I never knew about pellets. many years ago, my parents used "coal" for our boiler. it was a major pain in the ass!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:11 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times
Quote:
ah. I never knew about pellets. many years ago, my parents used "coal" for our boiler. it was a major pain in the ass!
My boss has a coal stove - they call it the hell fires. It's such a pain to start up, that once it's running they leave it and just keep feeding it coal. Which means on warmer days, they are running it with the windows open and sitting around in shorts and t-shirts! The pellet stove is SOOOOOOOO much easier. Turning it on and off is as simple as pushing the appropriate button. Want more heat? Turn up the feed rate by pushing another button. Too hot? Turn it down with a touch of a button. Some have thermostats that adjust the heat output for you - mines a cheapy so it doesn't have that feature. Got mine for $500. I am definitely getting a pellet stove in my next house too. One of the deluxe models with a thermostat.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
But my heat was home grown and produced here in America and even if it cost the same as other heat alternatives, I would use the stove because of that.
That is the primary reason for us too. $4 a gal heating oil last year was the other. Now we are hooked on the heat even at 1.80/gal.

I want to say that at $2 a gal, the cost of oil is that same as pellets at 300 a ton (there is some online calculators that compare BTU's) . So...financially this year its a draw.

Sorry...now were OT.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:54 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
I have a 1600 sqft colonial. Oil heat and all electric appliances - dishwasher, washer/dryer, microwave, oven, refrigerator, cooking is also electric. Wife is home with 3 yr old whole day. We got the 1st bill this week and it was about $33 for a week. I'm figuring approx $150 per month.

2 tv's (1 ON all day) 2 laptops (1 ON all day). Replaced half the bulbs with energy star.

Oil Consumption is as follows (but this is not LIPA related anyway)
2 Zones.
Daytime - Lowel level = 68-70, Upper level = 62
Night - Lower level = 62 Upper = 68
I need a electronic thermostat so that I can lower night temp while sleeping.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I don't do the budget plan. My electric for the last month was $119.15 for a small split (about 1700sf with 3 zones). That seems high to me as other than our xmas lights, only our water heater is part of the equation I have been in LIPA/KEYSPAN in Hicksville and seen the machines that print the bills. I asked the guy, how long does it take to do these runs and he said, it does it every day, it doesn't stop. That was for LIPA and Keyspan (now National Grid).

My gas bill was 194.06 for November (estimated) and $255.25 up to 12/31. I try to keep things under control with the heat but I know my wife is clicking it up on me. I have definitely turned into my Dad, no doubt.

Electric is usually higher in the summer as we use AC's and our gas goes down.

I have a friend that keeps his pool open (with heater) until Oct plus a hot tub, his bills are over a G a month.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:39 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
$181 / mo on balanced billing

1,600 sq ft ranch
no central air - two window units in the summer
tv on a few hours in the afternoon and after dinner
usually every light is on in my daughters room

just replaced almost all bulbs in the house with cfl bulbs... hoping to get the 181 down for the next balanced billing cycle

Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
1370sq ft levitt home with 3 adults... I also work from home so various things are being used all day.

$150 max, most around $100/mo. We started back in 2002 and it was no more than $60/mo. Not sure if it's just increased rates or we increased usage somehow.

During the summer we would have an old A/C unit on all night most nights and it hardly affected our bill... very surprised. We have central air also but it's a waste since 2 of us were in 1 room sleeping... but even the central air on occasionally it didn't hurt that bad. What does hurt in this house is the $$$ for heating.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I have a 1600 sqft colonial. Oil heat and all electric appliances - dishwasher, washer/dryer, microwave, oven, refrigerator, cooking is also electric. Wife is home with 3 yr old whole day. We got the 1st bill this week and it was about $33 for a week. I'm figuring approx $150 per month.

2 tv's (1 ON all day) 2 laptops (1 ON all day). Replaced half the bulbs with energy star.

Oil Consumption is as follows (but this is not LIPA related anyway)
2 Zones.
Daytime - Lowel level = 68-70, Upper level = 62
Night - Lower level = 62 Upper = 68
I need a electronic thermostat so that I can lower night temp while sleeping.
If that was your first bill then you may be in for a very expensive and unexpected shock. Usually the first months bill will seem relatively inexpensive. This is because the electric company actually checks your meter every other month. The other months are guesstimates.

You can arrange to check the meter and call it in on the 15th of those months. When I moved into my place it was like 50 bucks.

The next month it was 530. After a few months it balanced out. My bill this month was 179 and I have approx 3200 square feet.

Be careful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island