Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 PM

8 posts, read 14,369 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to Garden city in July from OR and I have to find an apartment online. My company is near garden city plaza and I'd like to walk to work and also need to walk to a good organic supermarket because I don't want to buy a car if possible. Is there any organic supermarket in the area? Is there any such an apartment in this area?
I'll appreciate any advice because I'm totally unfamiliar with the area.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 AM

17 posts, read 39,824 times
Garden city is a beautiful place and you will enjoy your stay there and as far as organic supermarket is concerned I am not absolutely sure about that but you would certainly find one. Even if it is not there it won’t matter so much.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,073 times
You'll love GC, but I'm not sure you'll be able to walk to work. I think GC Plaza is in Roosevelt Field Mall, whereas most apartments are closer to Franklin. Make sure you really study the maps when you look for apartments. As for organic food, the only place that might have that within walking distance is called Kings. It's on Franklin right off of Stewart Ave. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,196 times
Whole Foods is about 15 minutes away in Jericho (there's also one in Manhasset).

You need to buy a car on Long Island. It's not optional.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
The only apartments within walking distance of Roosevelt Field I can think of is the Fairhaven apartments on Old Country Road which are listed as Mineola.

OLd Country Road is a 6 or 8 lane road with a lot of traffic on it. Not easy to cross that street on foot even at the traffic lights due to turning cars etc. That particlular area is not really set up for pedestrians.

Having a car will make life on LI much easier for you and open more possibilities on where to live. Garden City is a very expensive area. A car will enable you to move to a cheaper area and get more apartment for your buck.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:55 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I second the recommendation to look into the Fairhaven apts. My DH and I lived there when we were first married and I worked at GC Plaza. You will be able to walk to work,although it won't be the nicest walk in the world. I recommend you walk down Old Country Road to Clinton Ave, you can cut thru the trees on the east side of Clinton and you will come out right behind GC Plaza. Otherwise you'd have to walk within the mall complex and that means taking your life into your hands - it's not pedestrian friendly.

There is a shopping center next door with a Stop and Shop grocery that has organic selections. There is also a Barnes and Noble, frozen yogurt place, Bagel Boss, Supercuts, liquor store and a couple of places to eat. There is no organic store within true walking distance. You CAN walk to the village of GC from there - DH and I would do it occasionally, it's a couple of miles. But to shop and bring stuff back on the walk, I'm not sure about that.

To live in GC proper - it's going to cost more. Of course you'll get what you pay for as it's a lovely village. Kings Supermarket is an upscale market and there is Natural Foods store that recently opened on 7th Street which is the village's main street.

You really can't live without a car on Long Island. It's The Ultimate Suburb. You might find a few things within walking distance (especially if you like to walk) but you'll be stuck if you want to go exploring or even go to a store that isn't close by.

Good luck with your move and the new job!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City

smallSPN, as azzurrony and others have already mentioned, Garden City Plaza is not in the Village of Garden City; Garden City Plaza is in the Hamlet of East Garden City ("Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address).

It is important to understand that East Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

For those who may not be familiar with East Garden City:

East Garden City is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Meadow; on the south by the Hamlet of Uniondale and the Village of Hempstead; and, on the west by the Village of Hempstead and the Village of Garden City.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ad/East-garden-city-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: Places in the Hamlet of East Garden City have a "Garden City, NY 11530", "Westbury, NY 11590", "Uniondale, NY 11553" and "Hempstead, NY 11550" mailing address.

Here are some well-known places that are in the Hamlet of East Garden City:

Cradle of Aviation Museum, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Fortunoff, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Hofstra University Dorms, East Garden City (Hempstead P.O.)
Mall at The Source, East Garden City (Westbury P.O.)
Nassau County Community College, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)
Nassau County Veterans Memorial Coliseum, East Garden City (Uniondale P.O.)
Roosevelt Field, East Garden City (Garden City P.O.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 AM

116 posts, read 254,390 times
Fairhaven Apartments on Old Country Road will be the closest to Garden City Plaza, which is on Ring Road, inside the Roosevelt Field Mall complex (which is really East Garden City not the town of Garden City). We lived at Fairhaven and I walked to an office at Garden City Plaza regularly. Old Country Road is 4 lanes where Fairhaven is and there is a stop light right outside the complex to cross. Once you figure out the back roads to walk you can avoid most of the traffic. Its about a 10 minute walk. And we found Faihaven to be a reasonable place to live.

There is a beautiful new organic supermarket in downtown Garden City on 7th Street. Also a Kings supermarket on Franklin with a lot of organic stuff. From Fairhaven downtown Garden City would be about 2 miles r/t. I walked it for exercise but its a walk. There is also a Stop and Shop supermarket with an organic section about 200 yards from Fairhaven.

There are other apartment complexes in downtown garden city that would be more expensive than fairhaven, further from work( again about 2 miles r/t), but closer to the downtown area of garden city. Most of those apartments are really expensive. They would be on 7th street, Stewart Ave. and Hilton Ave. There are also apartments buildings in Mineola but you would be extending your walk to about 20- 30 minutes each way.

Could you do all this without a car? Work, shopping and eating are in walking distance. Lots of buses come and go from Roosevelt Field but public transportation here is a hassle. Mineola and Garden City railroad stations are walking distance from a lot of apartment complexes in Mineola and Garden City to take you east/west, west being in to NYC.

Feel free to DM me if you have specific questions.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Mineola

For those who may not be familiar with Mineola:

Mineola is a village (incorporated in 1906) in the south-central part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the west part of Nassau County, along the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Mineola in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Herricks, The Village of Williston Park, the Village of East Williston and the Hamlet of Roslyn Heights; on the east by the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Westbury and the Hamlet of Carle Place; on the south by the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); and on the west by the Hamlet of Garden City Park.

The Village of Mineola has a different border than does the "Mineola, NY 11501" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address and not be in the Village of Mineola and a place can be in the Village of Mineola and have other than a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address): places that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address that are not in the Village of Mineola are in the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Mineola with a "Williston Park, NY 11596" and "Carle Place, NY 11514" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM

For those who like history, as well as geography: http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...d-country.html.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island