Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM

126 posts, read 332,131 times

Advertisements

we are 1st time homebuyers looking to place a bid on a home this week. 2 quick questions. 1. the basement has a 1/2bath. i have been told by most people i ask that this is common on li and they are usually not 'legal'. what does that mean to us as homebuyers? do we have to hide it from someone? it is a 1/2 bath with washer/dryer in the same room in a basement.

also, home has a deck/screened in patio. we are being told the sellers are using an expeditor to obtain a CO. if we put in our contract that we will not close until CO is obtained, does that protect us? we just don't want to be caught up in any issues and are flex on closing date so for us, we can easily wait until they obtain the CO. we are just wondering why they never got one in the 1st place and if it'll be difficult for them to get one now.

thank u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:30 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
we are 1st time homebuyers looking to place a bid on a home this week. 2 quick questions. 1. the basement has a 1/2bath. i have been told by most people i ask that this is common on li and they are usually not 'legal'. what does that mean to us as homebuyers? do we have to hide it from someone? it is a 1/2 bath with washer/dryer in the same room in a basement.

also, home has a deck/screened in patio. we are being told the sellers are using an expeditor to obtain a CO. if we put in our contract that we will not close until CO is obtained, does that protect us? we just don't want to be caught up in any issues and are flex on closing date so for us, we can easily wait until they obtain the CO. we are just wondering why they never got one in the 1st place and if it'll be difficult for them to get one now.

thank u
For your first question, as a homebuyer you do not have to "hide" the 1/2 bath in the basement. What they mean by not being legal is most people fix up their basements and don't bother to get a CO for it. Every room in a home (even in a fixed up basement) has to have a CO. Normally your main floor has them. A CO is expensive and that is why people don't bother to get them.

And you have every right to put into your contract that the house is subject to sale after the owner gets all CO's that are currently missing. However, the seller does not have to agree to that and then you both are at an impasse.

My suggestion is get the seller to get the CO's that are required.

For your second question, yes it will protect you and again, obtaining CO's are expensive which is why people don't get these things to begin with.

As for what is involved in getting a CO, other posters here could tell you. I'm not sure myself but I know enough to make sure the seller has them all before you close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: