Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

496 posts, read 1,248,343 times

Advertisements

yeah, that was odd. add florida to that too. no paying for using the beach. geez. and oh yeah, paying to get to a public park? seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 12:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,206,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
yeah, that was odd. add florida to that too. no paying for using the beach. geez. and oh yeah, paying to get to a public park? seriously?
Isn't a lot of the "paying" not admission per person, but a vehicle parking fee? (Not that that's any better of course, but ...)

In Florida, the beach isn't free everywhere. They have ways some places to get around it ... such as the beach my family had a gulf front beachhouse on for years ... no on the street parking allowed. So if you weren't a resident, renter, or guest of one of the homeowners, you didn't go to the beach around there because you would die of heatstroke literally walking miles from where you could park.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:37 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,292,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Isn't a lot of the "paying" not admission per person, but a vehicle parking fee? (Not that that's any better of course, but ...)

In Florida, the beach isn't free everywhere. They have ways some places to get around it ... such as the beach my family had a gulf front beachhouse on for years ... no on the street parking allowed. So if you weren't a resident, renter, or guest of one of the homeowners, you didn't go to the beach around there because you would die of heatstroke literally walking miles from where you could park.
well ok you are right on the parking...essentially yeah i guess if you rode your bike to jones it would be free...but no matter what, every park or beach charges some kind of fee...whether it's for admission or parking...or both.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:55 PM

532 posts, read 1,266,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
well ok you are right on the parking...essentially yeah i guess if you rode your bike to jones it would be free...but no matter what, every park or beach charges some kind of fee...whether it's for admission or parking...or both.
Not so, Gardiner Country Park in West Bayshore has free parking and beach access, bring your dog. Nice hiking trails. Very pretty.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,720,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Not so, Gardiner Country Park in West Bayshore has free parking and beach access, bring your dog. Nice hiking trails. Very pretty.
do you let you drive to the beach area...because that's gotta be a hike from the parking lot.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM

532 posts, read 1,266,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
do you let you drive to the beach area...because that's gotta be a hike from the parking lot.
It is a hike, 1/2 mile or so, but it's a nice hike

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 PM

496 posts, read 1,248,343 times
lived in fl and still visit it and we have never paid for the beach nor parking at the beach. i find a park here that seems semi-descent, as in, not afraid for my life and it costs to enter it. if you're used to paying then you don't understand, but if you have never paid for park access or beach then this is a major shocker

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,292,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
lived in fl and still visit it and we have never paid for the beach nor parking at the beach. i find a park here that seems semi-descent, as in, not afraid for my life and it costs to enter it. if you're used to paying then you don't understand, but if you have never paid for park access or beach then this is a major shocker
welcome to Long island

Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,298,579 times
Default Avoiding or minimizing beach fees

As far as Long Beach I dont know a way around that (perhaps access from West End?) but there are ways to avoid the fees. If you can park in Babylon you can take the S47 bus (for $1.50 each way) to Robert Moses. This wont pay much if you're a group, though.
Smith Point, you can park on one of the streets just north of the bridge and walk across. Napeague beach off route 27, just park near the sand road (there's a small lot) and the beach is a small walk through some piney dunelands.
I dont think Montauk charges for beach use either, just a few blocks from the town.
Fire Island of course has the best beaches, but you'll have to pay for the ferry there (now $18 round trip from Bay Shore...ouch).
There's also some nice beaches in Ponquogue, but parking is limited to Southampton Town residents. Again this can be beat by parking north of the bridge and walking over, though thats a HUGE bridge.
I see plenty of folks walking over these bridges though. And the view from the Ponquogue one is spectacular!

Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,495,347 times
I believe you pay to park...not for the beach itself. Regardless....its money out of your pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island