Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times

Advertisements

Samyn,

Just for your reference, from me, runway 22L is almost 9 miles. At 3.1 degree angle, they plane should be well over 2,300 feet.

For John in Westbury, he's 12 miles away, at the 3.1 degree angle, the plane should be 3,400 feet in the air.

Clearly these planes are flying well below what they really need to be flying at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 AM

240 posts, read 237,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
It always amuses me when someone moves by an airport, Military Base, shooting range, park, mall, etc knowing full well it is there then want to form a petition to shut it down.
Many of the posters here live in the middle of Nassau County, not what anyone would deem "by the airport". Also, another fact you missed is that this problem was not a problem up until 3-4 years ago.
Moderator cut: unnecessary remark

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-15-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
[quote=56 Fighter;9299535]Many of the posters here live in the middle of Nassau County, not what anyone would deem "by the airport". Also, another fact you missed is that this problem was not a problem up until 3-4 years ago.

Maybe the poster is not really from around here and just pretends to be. Anyone who would think Westbury or Garden City is right on top of JFK Airport sounds like an out of towner to me (or a runner in the S.O.).

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-15-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
I have not been able to read the entire post, but I agree there is a problem with some jets flying very low over places like Jericho, Westbury, Garden city, etc. I have not been on LI very long, so I have no idea what the history is.. but I have lived in Westchester before and I know the problem is more severe in Nassau.

Do you have a plan to address this? I noticed that some NJ organization has a website to fight this problem, do you plan on starting a similar one for Nassau county? Have you thought of using Media ( Newsday, Anton news) to publicize your cause first.. and then have a website to enlist civic associations for support. If you are in Garden city.. you can contact your village for solutions too.. and see what they say. We can also contact town of Oyster bay and town of North hempstead to see how much power they have.

If the towns and villages do not have much power, the civic associations can get together and ask the NY state reps to take action here. Remember, Long island was able to close a nuclear power plant after it was built.. so the people have tremendous power here if they work together. In any case, the first step is to get people in all these places together.. and starting a website for this cause will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Samyn,

Just for your reference, from me, runway 22L is almost 9 miles. At 3.1 degree angle, they plane should be well over 2,300 feet.

For John in Westbury, he's 12 miles away, at the 3.1 degree angle, the plane should be 3,400 feet in the air.

Clearly these planes are flying well below what they really need to be flying at.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:07 PM

41 posts, read 121,675 times
What are we going to do as a community? We need to stand together and fight this. I am in Roslyn, 16 miles away and planes fly with their landing gear down.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM

ADNY007

I think we have to start a website and get the News involved. I've already written Congresswoman McCarthy, but she was pretty useless. All she said was that she helped pass a bill that would give money to "study" the noise problem.

I don't need a friggen study. I know it's a major issue.

There are quite a few of us on here. We need to unite and start a civic group on this. I'm willing to act as legal counsel for it. Now, we need someone who is a web developer that can help us develop a website.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:44 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Azzurrony,
Have you been in touch with any officials from the village of GC? Have you discussed it with your neighbors? I'm thinking there are likely plenty of influential people residing within the village who may be able to help you with this...assuming they are bothered by it as much as you are.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM

SIB,

I've talked to people in GC before who have taken the fight to the FAA. They used to get Congresswoman McCarthy to help them. The FAA did nothing. After some time they just gave up.

The funny part is that in speaking with them, they clearly don't understand the details of what is happening from an aviation standpoint very well. They know that planes are overhead, but they haven't done as much research as I have into the various approach techniques, patterns, angles of arrival, etc. In short, they didn't know HOW and from where to tackle the problem in the first place.

So, what might have happened is that the FAA just bombarded them with aviation gibberish to confuse and tire them. It seemed to work since these normally bright people just gave up.

There is absolutely no reason to have the same 2 approach patterns used almost everytime on 22L. I personally believe the FAA and Port Authority would rather take their chances pissing off a specific group of citizens under those 2 approach paths rather than distributing the burden over other communities as well. By spreading the noise over other communities, you incur the wrath of even more citizens, so they'd rather avoid the bad publicity and keep the unfair noise burden on specific neighborhoods. It's disgraceful really.

I think we need to form a very well informed group that understands aviation very well and can combat the same old safety excuses used to preserve this status quo.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times
If you get enough people to support this, maybe you can try to get to the US senators, Chuck Schumer. / ( person who replaced Hillary Clinton) who will have more pull on the FAA than the state. Noise pollution is a quality of life issue for residents, and should be taken seriously.

I will be glad to talk to civic associations in Jericho to support your cause when you have a website going.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe the poster is not really from around here and just pretends to be. Anyone who would think Westbury or Garden City is right on top of JFK Airport sounds like an out of towner to me (or a runner in the S.O.).
Sure it's easy to dismiss an opinion and I don't take it personally but it doesn't change my viewpoint that if the airport was there first than a homeowner knew what he was getting. I asked a question such as what kind of deal did you get when you bought and didn't get an answer. It was harmless enough.

I wouldn't buy a home by the airport or general vicinity. I wouldn't purchase a home by a railroad track or station or a gun range or the LIE. Some of the immature responses are uncalled for. Some are upset about aircraft flying over their home and some of us aren't as sympathetic it is as simple as that. I would say bite the bullet and move...that is a statement in and of itself. Someone else will move into your home, get a good deal, than we can watch them complain about the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island