U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,366 times

Advertisements

Hi I am new in the area and would like to figure out how to go to Long Island from where I am. My zip code is 11235. It's the Sheepshead Bay area. Where would the closest LIRR station be to me? Help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 PM

270 posts, read 805,807 times
Probably Flatbush Ave station.

Where on Long Island do you need to go? There are several branches - you may have to transfer at Jamaica.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 9,366 times
But Sheepeshead bay is so much closer to LI I want to take it to Belmore- but I am right near Rockaway Beach

Old 06-13-2009, 03:18 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,211,306 times
The LIRR really doesn't serve Brooklyn. It might be faster to go to Jamaica and get the train from there.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 PM

270 posts, read 805,807 times
If you're east of Jamaica Bay then yeah, I guess you would take Far Rockaway branch then transfer to the Babylon branch over at Valley Stream, then stop at Bellmore.

If you're west of Jamaica Bay, then you've really got no choice but to go back up to the Flatbush Ave line, transfer to the Babylon branch at Jamaica, then stop at Bellmore.

The problem really is going to be what time you need to do this. The LIRR schedule isn't always easy to work with (especially if you're going westbound then transferring eastbound - that's two schedules you need to juggle), and it's almost always more convenient (schedule-wise) to just make your way to Jamaica and then go from there, as most eastbound trains stop there.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:51 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,442,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentcatcher View Post
But Sheepeshead bay is so much closer to LI I want to take it to Belmore- but I am right near Rockaway Beach
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but are you saying it would make more sense to use the Rockaway Park Shuttle/A Train to the LIRR Far Rockaway Branch? You technically could do that, but it'd take FOREVER and 2 transfers minimum.

Much better to catch a train on the Atlantic Branch. Double check what the schedules are like, but you should be able to get one at either Nostrand Avenue or East New York, looks like Nostrand has a few bus connections that serve Sheepshead Bay as well.

I just looked on the LIRR website. Transfer at Jamaica for all trips, but it's only a 35-45 minute ride....which isn't bad at all!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 AM

6,720 posts, read 11,158,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momentcatcher View Post
Why would you want to go to Bellmore? I grew up there. It's horrible...lol. Such trashy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island