Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:51 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times

Advertisements

My two boys who are 9 & 10 do not and never will have a tv in their room. The computer is either in my office or the dining room. The xbox 360 ; we fought brave and hard and they got it this past Christmas.

Funny ; the child I read to most as a baby gets resource reading in school. The second child didnt want to be bothered by books, is a bookworm and is on Harry Potter book 6 now.

I believe a lot of it is guidance by parents. We did tend to shy them away from certain things ; they have never been to Disney World, however both of our boys have been to europe and several 15 hour car drives. We have told them that we trust them until they give us a reason not to trust them ; then watch out.

Both of them have been student of the months, are doing well in school and know that once their grades slip, away goes computer, tv, xbox etc until grades and behaviour comes up. The behaviour one has been proven time and time again and its not fun but they learn.

d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
but they are still allowed to watch TV, under your supervision, correct?
Yup, but that's no guarantee that they aren't watching the stuff I'd rather they don't view. Too many of their friends are incredibly pampered with the richer ones having their own personal media rooms, and parents that don't put many limits on them. The other thing is that they are exposed to a lot of the other side of life anyway in school, so I just try to keep them talking and giving them the skinny on certain subjects.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
Those are the kids that end up going crazy during college. Honestly, if you don't teach your kids about it. Chances are one of the kids at recess will.
You said it....everyone I ever knew who grew up in a ridiculously strict household ended up going totally bonkers once they finally severed the umbilical cord. Drinking, drugs, sex...you name it. Usually they burn out and come back down to earth in a few years, but a whole lot can go wrong when you're high as a kite on ecstasy, chugging a bottle of Captain Morgans and driving a car 80MPH down an icy highway. Playing Halo 3 won't make a kid do that....but years of repressed desires, impulses and the glorious taste of freedom will.

Plus, all of the things in video games and on TV now will seem tame once these kids are grown. When I was a kid, I remember one of the nuns at our church had this whole petition to get The Simpsons off the air because it was poisoning kids minds and turning them into little heathens or whatever. Anyone watched the first season of that show lately? There is nothing that would seem even remotely demonic or vulgar on it!! They play more questionable stuff on Nickelodean these days....it's total ignorance and over parenting to shelter your kids from reality.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Yup, but that's no guarantee that they aren't watching the stuff I'd rather they don't view. Too many of their friends are incredibly pampered with the richer ones having their own personal media rooms, and parents that don't put many limits on them. The other thing is that they are exposed to a lot of the other side of life anyway in school, so I just try to keep them talking and giving them the skinny on certain subjects.
and i agree there. guide them, dont lock them in a cave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
You said it....everyone I ever knew who grew up in a ridiculously strict household ended up going totally bonkers once they finally severed the umbilical cord. Drinking, drugs, sex...you name it. Usually they burn out and come back down to earth in a few years, but a whole lot can go wrong when you're high as a kite on ecstasy, chugging a bottle of Captain Morgans and driving a car 80MPH down an icy highway. Playing Halo 3 won't make a kid do that....but years of repressed desires, impulses and the glorious taste of freedom will.

Plus, all of the things in video games and on TV now will seem tame once these kids are grown. When I was a kid, I remember one of the nuns at our church had this whole petition to get The Simpsons off the air because it was poisoning kids minds and turning them into little heathens or whatever. Anyone watched the first season of that show lately? There is nothing that would seem even remotely demonic or vulgar on it!! They play more questionable stuff on Nickelodean these days....it's total ignorance and over parenting to shelter your kids from reality.
youre not kidding. i remember when i was in elementary school late 80's/early 90's, my school actually banned the bart simpson T-shirts, the ones that always had some sort of slogan on it. and my mom forbid me from watching the show too when it first started out.

kids need to know about the real world. now this also depends on age. but kids need to know about the bad things in life, and the consequences they bring. because if your kid knows nothing about drugs, sex, alcohol, etc while growing up, what happens when they hit that age where its all around them? and trust me it WILL be all around them at some point. they wont know what BAD can come from things, and they will either go crazy doing all kinds of things, or wind up a loney, "weird", 40 yr old virgin.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 AM

51 posts, read 207,535 times
When my son was younger, he had a friend who was never allowed to watch tv ever. He only saw educational videos. This child was in a bubble.

One day, we had a gathering of a bunch of moms and their kids. The boys started to play power rangers. This little boy sat there crying because he didn't know what the other kids were doing. He felt so left out. I felt so sorry for him.

kids need to be exposed to some tv so they know what's going on around them. Granted, shows like cops should be off limits.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
i wasn't raised this way. censoring and all. then again we didn't have much growing up. but we had the outside play about a 1000 times more than kids nowadays get. we don't censor much and TV is allowed in the living room during TV time. granted shows for kids. both my 4, almost 5, year olds have computers and know how to use it, and they do during computer time. we do a lot of reading, alot of conversing, a lot of time together. but i want them to grow up seeing the good the bad and the ugly. how else are they going to learn? i think there's enough censoring going around as it is without me adding more to that list.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
youre not kidding. i remember when i was in elementary school late 80's/early 90's, my school actually banned the bart simpson T-shirts, the ones that always had some sort of slogan on it. mom .

Our school banned Bart Simpson too & now he is on a stamp !!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
I fail to comprehend how this censoring is helping kids. As stated above, when I think back to elementary school the kids that were the most sheltered and who lived in the strictest households were the ones who totally got out of control by senior year of high school. All it takes is for them to fall in with one kid with an iffy background and boom it's over, why? Because they don't know the dangers and the warning signs because mommy and daddy hid them from reality their entire lives.

The top students in my graduating class as well as the class valedictorian and salutatorian all went totally out of control once they hit college and the umbilical cord from mommy and daddy was cut and put them into the world of reality. I came across their Facebook pages and it totally validated the claims spoken above.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 AM

40 posts, read 104,779 times
This is a true story. When I was a kid, my parents let me do whatever I wanted. I watched R rated movies at the age of 5. Cursed like a truck driver (to my friends only) when I was in 6th grade. Tried smoking in Junior High (decided I didn't like it). Dated boys since 6th grade. Here are the facts:
I never ended up pregnant. I never had a drug problem. I didn't do so great in school, but made up for it when I graduated (I'm an executive now at a pharma company). I'm doing really well. I don't know if I would've done so well if I left a sheltered life. I curious as a child. If my parents sheltered me I would've lied about "studying" at my friends house and then found out about whatever it was from a friend. You can only censor so much. it's ok to expose, as long as you COMMUNICATE the dangers to your kids. Show them the effects early when they are young so it's embedded in their brains by teenage years that "this is what could happen". I felt like it was a great lesson for me. I know sheltered kids that were straight A students. One went to Harvard and the minute she was away from her parents, she went crazy sleeping around and drinking and ended up getting kicked out of school. She was the freaking Valedictorian for our high school. This is a common story with my friends.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 AM

518 posts, read 1,820,224 times
i think this also comes back to "street smart vs. book smart", same sorta deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island