Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM

43 posts, read 180,148 times

Advertisements

If anyone is interested in getting Verizon's current offer (free Compaq mini netbook or Flip Ultra Camcorder), PLUS an additional $75 credit off your bill, Verizon has a very generous referal program that allows you to split the referal reward ($100 for double play, $150 for triple play) with the person you refer. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 12:46 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
I live in Yaphank and actually tried to get FIOS. Verizon came and hooked up the phone and then told me I would be getting the router for the internet in the mail. I told the guy we were supposed to be getting FIOS and he told me it is not available in the area yet. I told him to disconnect the phone and called Verizon and asked why they did not tell me this when I originally called for FIOS. How they had the nerve to tell me I was getting FIOS and then send a guy to hook up my phone and then tell me FIOS is not available is beyond me. Needless to say, I dropped Verizon that day and went back to cable. Before this incident I had Direct TV which I actually loved until I had a problem and after not being able to get them to send someone to fix it after 3 weeks with no television is when the Verizon incident happened. At the time I had Direct TV I had Hughesnet for the internet. The service was garbage. The speed was as slow as dial up. I called them and found out that for a lot more money I can upgrade to speeds even faster than cable. I decided to tell them to cancel my service and am back to using Cable for everything. All someone has to do is come up with a company offering these services and having a good customer service and they will have the entire market to themselves. I guess all of these companies know the other companies have poor customer service which gives them no incentive to make theirs better. It really is frustrating. I consider what Verizon did to me by having me sign up for FIOS and not having it available as being nothing more than a scam. Ahhhhhhh-feeling much better after venting.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,145,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunette-T View Post
If you 've subscribed to both - which do you prefer? And why?

Neither one they both suck I prefer Time Warner Cable

Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Neither one they both suck I prefer Time Warner Cable
As far as I know, TW Cable is not an option here. You do know you are posting on the Long Island forum, right?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I live in Yaphank and actually tried to get FIOS. Verizon came and hooked up the phone and then told me I would be getting the router for the internet in the mail. I told the guy we were supposed to be getting FIOS and he told me it is not available in the area yet. I told him to disconnect the phone and called Verizon and asked why they did not tell me this when I originally called for FIOS. How they had the nerve to tell me I was getting FIOS and then send a guy to hook up my phone and then tell me FIOS is not available is beyond me. Needless to say, I dropped Verizon that day and went back to cable. Before this incident I had Direct TV which I actually loved until I had a problem and after not being able to get them to send someone to fix it after 3 weeks with no television is when the Verizon incident happened. At the time I had Direct TV I had Hughesnet for the internet. The service was garbage. The speed was as slow as dial up. I called them and found out that for a lot more money I can upgrade to speeds even faster than cable. I decided to tell them to cancel my service and am back to using Cable for everything. All someone has to do is come up with a company offering these services and having a good customer service and they will have the entire market to themselves. I guess all of these companies know the other companies have poor customer service which gives them no incentive to make theirs better. It really is frustrating. I consider what Verizon did to me by having me sign up for FIOS and not having it available as being nothing more than a scam. Ahhhhhhh-feeling much better after venting.
I know a few people that happened to and Verizon just kept telling them, "FIOS is coming soon, soon!!!! You'll be the first to have it when it does!!!"

Old 06-23-2009, 01:09 PM

21 posts, read 63,578 times
We just switched to Verizon Fios and wasn't sure if I'd be happy but when I found out that, not only were they unionized, but when you needed help, all the phone techs were located right here in the U.S., then I was hooked and I'll definitely be here for the two full years that I am guaranteed the fixed rate and have probably become a long term customer.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlp263 View Post
We just switched to Verizon Fios and wasn't sure if I'd be happy but when I found out that, not only were they unionized, but when you needed help, all the phone techs were located right here in the U.S., then I was hooked and I'll definitely be here for the two full years that I am guaranteed the fixed rate and have probably become a long term customer.
Must be a whole new world over at Verizon! Americans on the phone? UNIONIZED workers instead of independent contractors? I guess their cost cutting measures of the past screwed up their business plan so much that it made sense for them to spend more money instead of cheap out with offshore labor and independent contractors. I know because I was with them when their service was terrible.

I had Verizon for landline phone service a few years ago (4-5). I did not have need to speak to them on the phone or have any of them come to my home for a long time, so did not know how bad they were. However, one fire changed all that. When I needed to speak to customer service I got routed offshore and had to play the "no speaka de english," "don unnerstan de way American customer speaka de english," and "speaka de english with unintelligible accent" games.

Then when it came to needing to have service techs come to my home, they had contracts to do telephone service for other companies that had no techs of their own (Sprint, etc.) and they would not put their own customers first, so the result was I had to wait over a week with no home phone. Then once they sent someone, the person didn't know what they were doing. I think the third tech they sent finally knew what he was doing and that was because he was very experienced as he had been with Verizon as an employee for a long time (and then he said they cheaped out and made him an independent contractor with no benefits).

I got rid of Verizon and went with Cablevision for everything after that. Not that I am thrilled with their costs. If I could find a way to get reliable high speed internet without either Verizon or Cablevision, I would be very happy.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,402 times
I had issues with verizon and while I am currently not faced with the option of cablevision since I am on the queens side of Floral Park (Time warner Cable territory), I really do not know what I would do if I had to choose between Fios and Cablevision. I swore never to give Verizon another dime after my billing fiasco and terrible service but I also do not really like the monopoly Cablevision. I did have Cablevision when I rented in Franklin Square and while I never had trouble with the tv end, I never cared for their optimum service. Kinda slow at peak times was my experience. Of course all of this was prior to the digital phone being so widespread (circa 2002) so I can't speak for that.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Must be a whole new world over at Verizon! Americans on the phone? UNIONIZED workers instead of independent contractors? I guess their cost cutting measures of the past screwed up their business plan so much that it made sense for them to spend more money instead of cheap out with offshore labor and independent contractors. I know because I was with them when their service was terrible.

When I needed to speak to customer service I got routed offshore and had to play the "no speaka de english," "don unnerstan de way American customer speaka de english," and "speaka de english with unintelligible accent" games.

Then when it came to needing to have service techs come to my home, they had contracts to do telephone service for other companies that had no techs of their own (Sprint, etc.) and they would not put their own customers first, so the result was I had to wait over a week with no home phone. Then once they sent someone, the person didn't know what they were doing. I think the third tech they sent finally knew what he was doing and that was because he was very experienced as he had been with Verizon as an employee for a long time (and then he said they cheaped out and made him an independent contractor with no benefits).

Years ago verizon tried to route calls offshore, the union stopped this, and kept jobs here in the united states. people complain about how bad unions are, but our country was built using unions, and kept good paying jobs. Look at the situation we are in now. All the jobs are gone. As far as verizon having contractors, that has never happened. I am not sure why you would think that? Was this in NY? I know down south they use contractors, but not up here in the north.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM

108 posts, read 357,760 times
well, the verdict is in. we switched from Cablevision to Verizon Fios last Sunday and couldn't be happier. no lag time between changing channels, i can view the "guide" in real time and not wait 30 seconds for it to appear on the screen (who knew that'd be a luxury), phone quality is superb, internet is fine - upload speed is 5 times faster (we have 20/20), and the picture quality definitely looks finer (pixilation is more evident w/Cablevision esp. with fast moving scenes).

although there is still some paperwork to be completed, some check boxes to check to complete our big money savings - this was an easy transition.

when i initially called CV to cancel, they did offer some nice discounts. i went back to Verizon, and they gave me additional discounts and free movie channels for a few months to try out.

so i packed all my outdated Cablevision apparati and brought it to my local service center where i found a 10-person-long line of new Verizon clients bringing their archaic boxes back as well.

even when i returned the boxes, they were still trying to sell me.

i <3 Verizon Fios.

- tess brunetti
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island