Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:48 PM

166 posts, read 313,588 times

Advertisements

You want a good scholl district on the south shore, stay west of Nicolls Road. Bayport, Sayville, Islip, even Connetquot are all good. Pat-Med is mediocre at best, and east of there (bellport, Wm Floyd), you can forget about it. North Shore Districts are generally better - 3 Vill, Miller Place, and Port Jeff, even Rocky Point are all better than S Country and Floyd, and the real estate values all reflect this opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I haven't heard of any drive by shootings in Sachem
There was actually one like 2 years ago on patchogue holbrook road

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 PM

130 posts, read 743,184 times
We were shown mostly bungalows in RP/SB which would be why the heat is an issue. They were used as summer homes. We are just seeing what options we have which is why we looked in other areas. So far we have an accepted offer in SB but we are waiting for contracts to be sent & still looking at other areas. We also looked in Bayshore area with Connetquot SD, which that one had potential to be our home but the homeowners are never available to show us the house. The other house we were considering was Bellport. We really liked the house but we are going to go around the area and see the neighborhoods on different days/times to see about that one because we really liked the house. Other then that it's not about affording it but it is about finding one that we really like and want. I won't just buy a house because it's in a good area, I have to like it too. But I am very lucky to have so many opinions/advice on areas we have been looking. At least I have an idea of what we are getting into.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
We haven't even discussed taxes yet, btw.
This is an excellent point. Taxes on Long Island in are insane. I live in Yaphank which is not as bad as taxes in other areas and I pay $800 for the actually mortgage payment for my house and my mortgage payment each month is more than double that amount due to taxes. It is truly insane.
I have mentioned this in an earlier post and do not see how people keep saying to look into Center Moriches. I do not care what they say about the depreciation of the cost of homes there; it is still expensive. The houses go for more in Center Moriches than they do by my home. Taxes are higher in Center Moriches than mine are. I can say this since I have a close friend whom lives there. I do not know what the taxes are in Bellport since I have never asked anyone I know whom lives there what they pay. I would think they are similar to mine unless they are right on the water; which I would think are higher.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
There was actually one like 2 years ago on patchogue holbrook road

Let me guess, at the handball courts or the basketball courts at the country club?

A lot of wannabe thugs over there..I used to play hoops there a few days a week during the summer. Guys brining their pit bulls and other nonsense.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
We were shown mostly bungalows in RP/SB which would be why the heat is an issue. They were used as summer homes. We are just seeing what options we have which is why we looked in other areas. So far we have an accepted offer in SB but we are waiting for contracts to be sent & still looking at other areas. We also looked in Bayshore area with Connetquot SD, which that one had potential to be our home but the homeowners are never available to show us the house. The other house we were considering was Bellport. We really liked the house but we are going to go around the area and see the neighborhoods on different days/times to see about that one because we really liked the house. Other then that it's not about affording it but it is about finding one that we really like and want. I won't just buy a house because it's in a good area, I have to like it too. But I am very lucky to have so many opinions/advice on areas we have been looking. At least I have an idea of what we are getting into.
I would shop W Babylon and Lindenhurst as well. Both towns are great value buys. There are several homes in your price range, most are probabally in bad shape, but many worth a look.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Let me guess, at the handball courts or the basketball courts at the country club?

A lot of wannabe thugs over there..I used to play hoops there a few days a week during the summer. Guys brining their pit bulls and other nonsense.
Nah, a botched drug deal which lead to a car chase. I went to school with the kids involved.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:24 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissesFixIt View Post
As for the house in Bellport, we drove down the street and seen a bunch of kids playing on the block. Nice houses, and it is close to County route 99 (If that helps at all on location.) I believe we passed a stop & shop on the way there. It seemed to be the perfect house. One that me & my spouse BOTH loved.
Bellport north of Sunrise isn't bad at all. If you're talking about the neighborhood I'm thinking of, that's ridiculously close to where I am.

And I honestly think the South Country SD is better than people think. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Let's just say that the teachers of South Country have to teach a lot of horses.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Bellport north of Sunrise isn't bad at all. If you're talking about the neighborhood I'm thinking of, that's ridiculously close to where I am.

And I honestly think the South Country SD is better than people think. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Let's just say that the teachers of South Country have to teach a lot of horses.
I agree.

Up off 101 North of Sunrise by Yaphank is nice.

I always though that was Longwood though.

Crooks

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I agree.

Up off 101 North of Sunrise by Yaphank is nice.

I always though that was Longwood though.

Crooks
yeah nice area, def south country schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island