Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 05:49 PM

330 posts, read 887,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
The ignorance is all you....the blinders are what you are wearing....Weight of a vehicle is evil and no one should have one.
All you see is the weight and fail to see the real problem...and come up with a quick non thought out solution, that is not the problem...Like many people who hold elected positions.

If i was between 2 cars at a light and someone was flying up from behind, or side or from the front, you being one of the cars on either side would be saying, wow that guy went thru the light.

You do not pay attention when driving and clearly show it in your posts..
It is ok though you are part of the majority, i am part of the few. I want to change that though, not regulate/stop/control vehicle weights.

I have been in more situations then you could use as a senario, some purposely, some by accident.

You have trouble with my posts only because you don't realize they are answering your multiple posts, i get tired of all the umpteen quotes.
Ah, the I know you are but what am I defense, very good.

I realize you combine posts, but your posts are incoherent, full of assumptions about other people and totally based on personal experience. They also lack respect of physics (you probably never took the course), logic, reality and statistics and as such lack merit.

You think your solution of "i am superman and cant be hurt and I can teach everyone to be superman" is a good one ... its one of the most unrealistic things I have read on city data. Have fun driving around, watch out for the kryptonite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Oh my god this thread hurts my brain...I stopped reading 3 pages ago...

Bottom line, in the hands of someone who is a terrible driver, a large vehicle is more dangerous than a smaller one. Why this is even up for discussion is beyond me....all sorts of things that have nothing to do with that fact are being tossed in.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
No one cares about 'your' truck I don't know why you keep talking about it and it only makes it seem like you have a bias in the discussion by constantly referring the the specifics of your situation and vehicle. We are talking in general terms here about larger vehicles in general and the future of how things will be and should be.

How people drive their vehicles is a moot point as there is no control over that in given isolated incidents. That alone is reason their should be more restrictions.

You asked how are the roads less safe with the larger vehicle on it. I have demonstrated that and the less there are the better off it is for everyone.

I am not embellishing on the added safety risk of the weight difference, it is well substantiated in many reports that in vehicle to vehicle collision the lighter car is at a much greater risk, I probably have not embellished on this enough as it is very significant.

As I have said before, the roads and the planet for that matter would be much better off with reductions and discouragement of driving large vehicles.

I believe the reason I keep mentioning "my truck" is obvious. The reason I keep referring to "my truck" is due to the fact that I own one and my vehicle fits into the category that you are referring to as a vehicle that should be banned. "My truck" happens to be one of the vehicles that you feel should not be on the road so I can actually talk from the experience of owning one.

You have also stated that there is no reason for people to own these larger vehicles and I stated that there is a reason that I own a large vehicle and spelled those reasons out for you and anyone else reading this thread so that maybe you or someone else can understand that there really are people in this country that have a use for these vehicles.

I do not know why a discussion of points that you actually brought up would turn into you personally attacking me simply because I am disagreeing with some of the things you have written. This is a forum where people discuss issues and that is all that I am doing.

I have used "my truck" to try to show that you were wrong in your assumption of larger vehicles always getting poor fuel mileage. I am as much biased towards larger vehicles because I own one as you are biased towards them being banned simply because you have no need for one.

If someone wants to buy a small, light vehicle; more power to them. Those same people have to face the fact that there are larger, heavier vehicles on the road and can either deal with it or buy a heavier vehicle if they do not feel safe.

You also have made it sound as though the new government regulations will make the larger vehicles faze out which is something that will not happen. Fortunately, even the far left that is in power right now realizes that there is a large demand for heavy duty trucks since even the new emissions and mile per gallon regulations outlined for the future are different for passenger vehicles/light trucks than for heavy duty trucks.

Just for the record; I am simply trying to have a discussion about this topic. I hold no animosity towards you or anyone else whom does not agree with me in any of these forum threads.

Last edited by Egobop; 07-05-2009 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-06-2009, 02:32 AM

106,561 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i dont have the patiants to read all these posts but the weight of the car and the damage thats inflicted is all speed dependent.... a lighter car at a faster speed hits with way more energy then a heavier car at a lower speed .. that puny .22 caliber round from the m16 hits with far more devastating force then the larger heavier ak round...
since E=MC2 STILL HOLDS TRUE... the speed a vehicle is traveling at has many many times more effect then its weight

Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I believe the reason I keep mentioning "my truck" is obvious. The reason I keep referring to "my truck" is due to the fact that I own one and my vehicle fits into the category that you are referring to as a vehicle that should be banned. "My truck" happens to be one of the vehicles that you feel should not be on the road so I can actually talk from the experience of owning one.

You have also stated that there is no reason for people to own these larger vehicles and I stated that there is a reason that I own a large vehicle and spelled those reasons out for you and anyone else reading this thread so that maybe you or someone else can understand that there really are people in this country that have a use for these vehicles.

I do not know why a discussion of points that you actually brought up would turn into you personally attacking me simply because I am disagreeing with some of the things you have written. This is a forum where people discuss issues and that is all that I am doing.

I have used "my truck" to try to show that you were wrong in your assumption of larger vehicles always getting poor fuel mileage. I am as much biased towards larger vehicles because I own one as you are biased towards them being banned simply because you have no need for one.

If someone wants to buy a small, light vehicle; more power to them. Those same people have to face the fact that there are larger, heavier vehicles on the road and can either deal with it or buy a heavier vehicle if they do not feel safe.

You also have made it sound as though the new government regulations will make the larger vehicles faze out which is something that will not happen. Fortunately, even the far left that is in power right now realizes that there is a large demand for heavy duty trucks since even the new emissions and mile per gallon regulations outlined for the future are different for passenger vehicles/light trucks than for heavy duty trucks.

Just for the record; I am simply trying to have a discussion about this topic. I hold no animosity towards you or anyone else whom does not agree with me in any of these forum threads.

My problem is you are totally misquoting and misrepresenting my point and furthermore trying to use one example of something to 'prove' another point. By constantly referring to your truck, you make it more personal and are more prone to misrepresent what I am saying. I say you should stop referring to your situation because 1 case is irrelevant, its the aggregate that counts. Larger vehicles use more fuel on aggregate, this is irrefutable, somehow you think you proved me wrong because your diesel vehicle gets decent gas mileage, but its still worse than a non-diesel vehicle in a light weight range, certainly worse than most other passenger use diesel vehicles, and not the norm for heavier class passenger use vehicles.

I never said "there is no reason for someone to own these vehicles" stop saying that. I said most people can get along without them, do so, and have been doing so for many years and without them the world and roads would in general be better off.

I never said larger vehicles should be banned.

I never said new regulations will phase out larger vehicles, just that you will see smaller and lighter vehicles being made to meet new regs, which is not something that I came up with myself but has been cited in numerous articles on the subject.

Though I admit it may have been a little off kilter to say no on cares about your truck, I am merely trying to get you to stop referencing one persons situation and extrapolating to a massive scale to try and prove something. You have a large truck, its gets good gas mileage you don't want to hear basic facts and statistics about its drain on the world and you further use this solitary example to argue some strange points. Its somewhat akin to I eat bacon everyday for breakfast and have never had a heart attack, so bacon is good for your heart.

There are two main issues I have said from the start that I have been addressing the whole time.

1 - Heavier vehicles are less safe on the road because they share it with smaller vehicles and when these two collide, the smaller vehicle is at a much greater safety risk than if the heavier vehicle was not present. Why people are arguing against this I don't know. Its simple physics. Driving is not a right, the government can choose the regulate it any way the see fit and they do.

2 - I have never been in an accident and consider myself a safe driver but accidents happen, being a safe smart driver helps a great deal, but the idea of immunity to accidents is ludicrous. When these accidents do happen, the less of a chance of there being a large weight disparity between vehicles the better.

Last edited by djdairyp; 07-06-2009 at 06:03 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i dont have the patiants to read all these posts but the weight of the car and the damage thats inflicted is all speed dependent.... a lighter car at a faster speed hits with way more energy then a heavier car at a lower speed .. that puny .22 caliber round from the m16 hits with far more devastating force then the larger heavier ak round...
since E=MC2 STILL HOLDS TRUE... the speed a vehicle is traveling at has many many times more effect then its weight
"that puny .22 caliber round from the m16 hits with far more devastating force then the larger heavier ak round" - but the more massive round of the rail gun can destroy a tank compared to the 22.

Speed is not the essence of the debate anyway, its about the effect of more massive vehicles to road safety, speed is part of it but not all of it, weight matters to.

And its not E=mc^2. Unless the vehicles are traveling at speeds on the order of light speed. And even in that relativistic situation E=mc^2 is the wrong formula to apply. Two things apply KE=1/2mv^2 and also p=mv. From an energy standpoint the velocity is a more important factor but mass matters too, but in a collision the impulse force is related to the momentum change (mv) which is based on both mass and velocity. The resulting damage is proportional to the energy, but the force is directly dependent on the mass and velocity and time of impact.

However, its all moot anyway because for a sliding scale of speeds, which is what is essentially being discussed, the heavier vehicle creates far more damage.

Last edited by djdairyp; 07-06-2009 at 06:26 AM..

Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post

Nobody said banned... restricted. Fact is if everyone did there job we wouldnt need warning labels and stop signs. If people were courteous followed the rules then we wouldn't need all these requirements in place but people are not. They are stupid so we do need all these regulations. The decision has to be taken away from the general public because they cant handle the decision too greedy, too self centered. There is a saying and I believe its true. You take any single human and they are an intelligent being, you take a whole bunch of intelligent beings and put them together and they all become idiots. We always want whats best for us first and that is why we will never get anywhere.
The fact that you drive safely doesn't matter on the whole because you cant say the same for everyone. would you let just anyone drive an 18 wheeler? the average vehicle on the road is getting smaller lighter and cheaper (more plastic) but the SUV's are staying huge and on truck frames. Perhaps most people that have Escalades, expeditions, tahoes, suburbans. dont need them to go to the store or to commute to the office. Perhaps if restrictions were alittle tighter they would buy something smaller and more efficient and less dangerous. Plus you shouldn't be able to take your driving test in a volkswagen that you can parallel park and then jump in your expedition that you cant parallel park and drive 80mph tailgating my galant and weaving in and out of traffic on the southern state parkway while on the cellphone and reading the paper. "but I use it to tow the boat and take the family fishing" ok, do you use it to go to work? how about the store? get a grip people, let go of the behemoths.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:43 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Nobody said banned... restricted. Fact is if everyone did there job we wouldnt need warning labels and stop signs. If people were courteous followed the rules then we wouldn't need all these requirements in place but people are not. They are stupid so we do need all these regulations. The decision has to be taken away from the general public because they cant handle the decision too greedy, too self centered. There is a saying and I believe its true. You take any single human and they are an intelligent being, you take a whole bunch of intelligent beings and put them together and they all become idiots. We always want whats best for us first and that is why we will never get anywhere.
The fact that you drive safely doesn't matter on the whole because you cant say the same for everyone. would you let just anyone drive an 18 wheeler? the average vehicle on the road is getting smaller lighter and cheaper (more plastic) but the SUV's are staying huge and on truck frames. Perhaps most people that have Escalades, expeditions, tahoes, suburbans. dont need them to go to the store or to commute to the office. Perhaps if restrictions were alittle tighter they would buy something smaller and more efficient and less dangerous. Plus you shouldn't be able to take your driving test in a volkswagen that you can parallel park and then jump in your expedition that you cant parallel park and drive 80mph tailgating my galant and weaving in and out of traffic on the southern state parkway while on the cellphone and reading the paper. "but I use it to tow the boat and take the family fishing" ok, do you use it to go to work? how about the store? get a grip people, let go of the behemoths.
Ok-here is my point. If someone is tailgating you on the Southern State Parkway they are not being safe. It does not matter if it is a SUV or a small car. You feel safer having someone driving another Galant tailgating you while talking on the cell phone than someone in an SUV doing it? They are both dangerous.

I am now done with this thread. It is obvious that this is an issue in which nobody is going to change their minds on how they feel so to keep going on about it is pointless.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:44 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Has anyone seen a smart car tailgating them or try to be intimidating?

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
"that puny .22 caliber round from the m16 hits with far more devastating force then the larger heavier ak round" - but the more massive round of the rail gun can destroy a tank compared to the 22.

Speed is not the essence of the debate anyway, its about the effect of more massive vehicles to road safety, speed is part of it but not all of it, weight matters to.

And its not E=mc^2. Unless the vehicles are traveling at speeds on the order of light speed. And even in that relativistic situation E=mc^2 is the wrong formula to apply. Two things apply KE=1/2mv^2 and also p=mv. From an energy standpoint the velocity is a more important factor but mass matters too, but in a collision the impulse force is related to the momentum change (mv) which is based on both mass and velocity. The resulting damage is proportional to the energy, but the force is directly dependent on the mass and velocity and time of impact.

However, its all moot anyway because for a sliding scale of speeds, which is what is essentially being discussed, the heavier vehicle creates far more damage.
Doesn't the railgun rely on speed also. I think the name of the Navy's railgun program in Latin means speed destroys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island