Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:47 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times

Advertisements

I've been saying this for years. It should be like Japan, you need to PROVE you can drive certain cars. Your speed is limited by your license. If you want to extend it to weight also, fine by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 AM

874 posts, read 2,874,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I've been saying this for years. It should be like Japan, you need to PROVE you can drive certain cars. Your speed is limited by your license. If you want to extend it to weight also, fine by me.
I personally see no problem with needing a different class of license to drive a heavier vehicle. I was reading an article on Cars.com which stated that the majority of rollovers in SUVs are single car accidents involving teenage drivers. It also discussed how most of these accidents occurred with teenage drivers whom owned a passenger car previously or learned to drive in a passenger car and then drove the SUV without changing their driving style accordingly.

One thing I never understood is the reason the larger station wagons became extinct. I used to own a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (basically Oldsmobile's version of the Caprice station wagon) and it was a great car. The passenger room was exceptional; better than most mini vans and SUVs, and was capable of carrying eight people. Of course, the center of gravity was the same as other passenger cars and it weighed 4,400 pounds which is only 1,000 pounds more than the average passenger vehicle.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
Quote:
I personally see no problem with needing a different class of license to drive a heavier vehicle. I was reading an article on Cars.com which stated that the majority of rollovers in SUVs are single car accidents involving teenage drivers. It also discussed how most of these accidents occurred with teenage drivers whom owned a passenger car previously or learned to drive in a passenger car and then drove the SUV without changing their driving style accordingly.
The NEED for a facility where ANYONE in a drivers ed class can be taught to drive CORRECTLY is exactly what is needed....
Then you are capable to drive in whatever situation comes up, in whatever vehicle...

So the NEED for real driver training exists...

You do see minesbroken, djdairyp vehicle weight being irrelevant to accidents and in fact LACK of EXPERIENCE being all the reason in the world why there is....accidents..... AMAZING.

See if such a facility existed, the child that killed his brother the other day never would have happened.

Then anyone looking to drive for a living especially carrying passengers should HAVE TO go to a program where they learn how to drive, then an accident such as where a head on accident killed a limo driver never would have happened and decapitated little Katie.

Remember that when you allow your children to get on that school bus...or in that limo or whatever, you just put your kids life in the hands of a untrained person.....not better then you....

Hopefully you are now finally seeing the real issue....

There is no need for a different license, just a real class.....

People say the schools are great out here.......lol

Quote:
I used to own a 1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser (basically Oldsmobile's version of the Caprice station wagon) and it was a great car. Of course, the center of gravity was the same as other passenger cars and it weighed 4,400 pounds which is only 1,000 pounds more than the average passenger vehicle.
Now most mid size and even sport cars are 4400 lbs today.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,243 times
yea well long island dont want to build a drag strip what do ya think will happen
they think we need more freggin houses for Illegals

Old 07-23-2009, 03:41 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,195 times
Street racing will be prevalent no matter if there are racetracks are not although I strongly agree they should have one somewhere on Long Island. I agree with the OP....parents are letting their kids drive their expensive cars and/or buying them expensive BMW's and Mercedes. It doesn't help when every kid with a Honda Civic feels like he's a race car driver too so its also the kids...

Old 07-23-2009, 06:35 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
. It doesn't help when every kid with a Honda Civic feels like he's a race car driver too so its also the kids...

Though if they were taught properly, using the right tools, kids wouldn't be so quick to kill themselves once they learned there is a consequence and why and how it happens.
Especially when they can be put thru it in real time, but escape the consequences in a controlled environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island