Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:02 AM

7 posts, read 26,645 times

Advertisements

Hi
Was just wondering if anyone knew how this area was in Massapequa, North of the Mall, just west of Carmans. I see a lot of houses for sale on Linda drive, Westwood, etc. It is Massapequa schools, but is it a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:47 AM

52 posts, read 250,451 times
Nope. Every area on long island has it's less desirable parts and this is massapequa's. I'm sure the people who live there would say it's a nice area but honestly, I wouldn't move anywhere near Sunrise Mall. There's a shopping center right near there on Carmans road with an AJ Wright and the DMV...just go hang out there for a little while and you'll know what I mean.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter_help View Post
Was just wondering if anyone knew how this area was in Massapequa, North of the Mall, just west of Carmans.

househunter_help, that neighborhood is in East Massapequa ("Massapequa, NY 11758" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with East Massapequa:

East Massapequa is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the southeast part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Massapequa in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of South Farmingdale; on the east by the Hamlet of North Amityville and the Village of Amityville in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Babylon town line and the Nassau/Suffolk County line); on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Village of Massapequa Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/East-massapequa-ny-map.gif (broken link)

East Massapequa is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of East Massapequa have a "Massapequa, NY 11758", "Massapequa Park, NY 11762" and "Amityville, NY 11701" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter_help View Post
Hi
Was just wondering if anyone knew how this area was in Massapequa, North of the Mall, just west of Carmans. I see a lot of houses for sale on Linda drive, Westwood, etc. It is Massapequa schools, but is it a good area?
its a decent area but I would imagine that the crime from the other side of carmens rd (amityville) is a deturrant for home buyers sometimes. your still in sd #23.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:06 PM

138 posts, read 491,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlisa1020 View Post
Nope. Every area on long island has it's less desirable parts and this is massapequa's. I'm sure the people who live there would say it's a nice area but honestly, I wouldn't move anywhere near Sunrise Mall. There's a shopping center right near there on Carmans road with an AJ Wright and the DMV...just go hang out there for a little while and you'll know what I mean.

that shopping center is fine - it has a great Pathmark - , as is the area mentioned in the original post.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
West of Carmans used to be fine, its east of Carmans thats bad.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
West of Carmans used to be fine, its east of Carmans thats bad.
my brother told me of a house, behind pathmark, in the amityville section that you would drive up to someone's house, like a drive thru, and the guy would sell you pot from his window! cant beat that!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
I am not super familiar with all the in and out roads of this area, but I have friends who live in this E. Massapequa area, just off of County Line Road. Actually, they are between County Line Rd and Carmans Rd. While I am not crazy about the general appearance of the area, and while I would not consider living there, I have been there at all hours day and night and never saw a problem or heard or saw anything out of the ordinary. Thats not to say things are not a little sketchy in and around here but I do think it gets more of a bad rap than it should. I have even made a late night beer run to one of the convenience store/gas stations and no one ever looked at me twice. I have seen some people who have kept up their homes and made them look really nice , but then again, there are some border line crack den looking places in this area. While I would not categorize it as a great area to choose to live, I have seen worse. Maybe his block is one of the better ones.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 PM

138 posts, read 491,955 times
that is good input samuri.

however, it should be made clear that the area in ? in the orig. post was on the west side of Carmens. the area you describe is the east side of carmens.

slightly different vibe, and different schools.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:41 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
that is good input samuri.

however, it should be made clear that the area in ? in the orig. post was on the west side of Carmens. the area you describe is the east side of carmens.

slightly different vibe, and different schools.
Thanks Luke. I guess I missed the west side reference when I read real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island