Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 AM

302 posts, read 961,371 times

Advertisements

HI all, I just went into contract on a house in suffolk and the house has a screened enclosure with a concrete slab floor, it's attached to the house and about 15X15. My issue is that there is no CO and the homeowner said she will not take it down nor will she get a CO.

WE were told it's a 50/50 shot that the appraiser/bank will want us to either get a CO or remove it. So we covered ourselves by writing into the contract that we can come there and remove it if it is a problem. What do you guys think? Anyone have any first hand experience?

Oh by the way, the bank said if it was a "normal loan" they would almost always overlook this, but because its FHA it really could go either way.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I would not suggest buying anything that does not have a CO. It sounds like you don't care about the structure. In today's market I would insist that the seller have it removed (also restore the back of the house where it is attached as there will most certainly be some damage to the siding)

Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 AM

well a the value of the screen structure is not really relative when you are spending close to 400k, so yes i'd like to keep it but i wont let a screened patio be the detrermining factor when buying a house i like. There were many offers on the house as well so its either i deal with it or someone else will.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:40 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
There are so many CO and CC scaremongers on these boards. Most CO's are not for the well being of the homeowner, they are done to give town bureaucrats a purpose (and a job) and to allow the town to collect more taxes from you.

If the bank lets it slide, and sometimes they do, then I think it is worth it.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:58 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
My house has a 2' overhang not shown on the survey and the appraisor caught it and questioned it. I told him every other similarly styled house in the neighborhood had the same overhang and he shrugged and said "OK". never heard a thing more about it.
I think the appraisor will catch it and you may have a problem because it's an FHA loan. Sorry to sound like doom but I really think it will be a problem for you.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM

153 posts, read 606,059 times
We had a similar situation where the "3-seasons room" did not have a C/O. NEVER buy anything without a C/O. It would be a major hassle for you in the long run. Make sure the seller gets the CFO.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:16 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Does the plat show that it exists w/o the screens? Has the county been taxing it through multiple owners through the years? If the answer is yes then a CO does exist. Adding screens to an existing structure does not remove its CO.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,398 times
Keep in mind the appraiser is there to protect the lenders financial interest in the property which is also in your best interest. If it slides by now does not mean it will slide by if and when you sell the property. Make sure it has a CO if required for inclosed patios.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM

well if they dont let it slide then i'll just have to spend an afternoon taking it down...but would not back out of deal because of it.. thanks all...

Old 08-18-2009, 08:04 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Personally, for a screened in porch, I wouldn't care.

I don't know how many times I've heard realtors say " well we're taking down the shed pool or deck due to lack of COs." on stupid little things like that I see no reason to take it down, or even get the CO. Same with a screened in porch.

So you'd rather have no porch at all, than one without COs? does having CO's make it a better porch?

Ultimately if the seller is clear on what they want, either you're in, or you're out. If I liked the house, I'd be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island