U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,727 times

Advertisements

Our house uses oil for heating and hot water. Recently, the hot water tank ran out of its life (9-yr) and we are considering using electric.

We had a quote of $2,300 for a water heater (50gal) using oil. And $860 for the same size in electric. Both include installation, services etc. (Please note gas, PV and others are not really an option for us for some reasons.)

Now, here is the number. The difference $1,700 saved from the electric option can pay for the current LIPA rate (v. $2.36/gal oil rate) for 7.69 year!

Furthermore, if I have to take a bet, oil (rates) will only go up, while electricity will not because of more new solutions, smart grid, renewable, and others down the road.

Yeah, I know “electric resistance” generation of heat is not that efficient...but the numbers tell a different story...

Would you go for electric options if just from “number point of view?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 10:21 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,720,073 times
We had oil-fired hot water but it wasn't enough (3 adults, 2 kids who use cloth diapers...so more laundry than your typical family).

So I had an electric HW heater installed (50 gal GE...$250 at Home Depot, installation was $700)

I view it as a big mistale because of LIPA rates. Prior to the install...my electric bill was $90-$110 a month. Now I cannot get it under $210 a month. We use 30-40 KwH a day...whereas we used less than 20 before. The cost has been huge....about $1200 a year. I see no way we would have used $1200 a year in oil for HW.

I think oil...with a good insulated storage tank would be the way to go. Even better....if you have the right roof, a solar HW system will run you $6K or so after rebates...and becomes free after awhile.

I got a quote of $1900 for a oil fired boiler...if you want the guys info let me know.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:39 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,159,036 times
Out of curiosity -- how many people using that 50 gal hot water tank? If you're more than one person using the water for showers, running dishwasher and laundry, you're going to end up paying out your savings to LIPA.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,720,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Out of curiosity -- how many people using that 50 gal hot water tank? If you're more than one person using the water for showers, running dishwasher and laundry, you're going to end up paying out your savings to LIPA.
3 adults...2 kids (3yo and 2yo). Should i have a smaller one? I've heard differing opinions...smaller ones have a shorter recovery time?

To be honest I am thinking of bagging it and buying a new boiler and a HW storage tank.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:07 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,159,036 times
We installed a Bock 110 gal indirect water heater. This is the pdf with some info.
http://www.bockwaterheaters.com/Products/Product_pdfs/80021_SK_Rev_2-09.pdf (broken link)
From what I understand, the series has a very good insulation system, and from my experience I notice the burner firing up less for the water heater.
We are a family of 4 and we can run 2 showers simultaneously, followed by 2 more without running out of hot water. These aren't short showers, either.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:05 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,332,654 times
The best "conventional" method, if you have a hot water system is by using a indirect stoage tank. Now if you have solar its a whole different animal. But a better and cheaper animal over time.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:30 AM

999 posts, read 2,034,049 times
Either get indirect or a tankless....

I have indirect, my brother has the tankless system.... I can take muscle relaxing hot water treatment for 6 hours... and someone can wash pots and pans and dishes and use the washing machine and wash the truck with hot water and i'll never ever know about it.......

I use Hi-Tech heating 718-323-5430, ask for Steve, great company, they did my house, my brothers house with the tankless and some multiple zone stuff in one day.
They did mine with the indirect, 1 day...by 1 day i really mean a few hours..

Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,030,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Even better....if you have the right roof, a solar HW system will run you $6K or so after rebates...and becomes free after awhile.
I'm curious about the solar HW system -- by 'system' do you mean the whole package, in other words the solar panel, the wiring, and I'm also assuming whatever unit is used to heat the water? Does a solar HW system require a special kind of tank or is a standard type (such as a Bock which is a great choice btw!) equally suitable?

In my last house I had a separate oil-fired Bock HW tank. 32 gallons which was more than enough for two adults. I'd turn off my heating-oil burner during the warmer months in which heat wasn't needed and just run the HW burner on the tank. I assume a solar setup would be the same thing (completely separate) but what about all the cloudy overcast days in winter (and this spring as well, with all this (**&%$$#@!!!! rain we've had for what seems like 40 days and 40 nights!)? How much electricity can the solar unit "store up" on sunny days?

When I had the separate Bock tank and Riello burner installed about five years ago I believe the total cost (which included getting rid of and capping off the old indirect tank and installing the new one in a different location, running new fuel oil line, etc) was somewhere between $2500 and $3000 if I recall correctly.

The cost of the Bock and the Riello naturally brought the total up higher than if I'd gone with less expensive tank and burner choices.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 AM

999 posts, read 2,034,049 times
Call the number i put in the post above they do every kind of heating

Old 06-22-2009, 03:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,926,977 times
My advice is ... DO NOT PUT YOUR TRUST IN LIPA!!! They will have you paying through the nose no matter what the "numbers" look like at the onset. Heed Alexei's experience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or