Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:31 PM

112 posts, read 218,343 times

Advertisements

Lower Port Jefferson had changed so drastically over the years and has become so cold and impersonal.

I grew up in there in the 1960's and I remember when ( most ) all the shops were named after their owners , and went you went in , that was
usually the person you dealt with. It really felt like a community back then.

Do these names bring back memories ?

WEST BROADWAY:
Gudzik's Marine
Odells Deli
Burke's Monuments

BARNUM AVE:
Caraftis Bait and Tackle

MAIN STREET:
Eberhardt's Pharmacy
Marvy Liquors
Darling's Stationery
Ringen's Luncheonette
Woodfield's Menswear
Cooper's Office Supply
Grammas'
Cappy's Carpets
Ramp Ford
Giles Chevrolet
Silver Chrysler
McNamara's Buick
Well's Oldsmobile
Goldberg's Texaco
MacSnyder's Army and Navy
Terry's Barber Shop
John's Beauty Parlor
Hunt's Crystal Fountain

EAST MAIN STREET:
Wally Brown's Fish Market
Ottinger's
McMullen's
Robert Hall Antiques
Heesch's Antiques

EAST BROADWAY:
Tuthill and Young
Newcomb's Garage
McAllister Motors
Perkin's Hotel
McLain Stone
Mary Beth's Dress Shop
K & D Welding

ARDEN PLACE:
Mike Zinna Plumbing

MAPLE STREET:
Hanshaw's Shell
Griswald's Machine Shop

Anyone I've forgotten ? And does anyone out there have any pictures of these shops ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 27,021 times
Default Port Jefferson 50's and 60's

You missed McMullens grocery store on E Main, Smiitty's Meat Market on E Main, The Port Jefferson Record and The Port Jefferson Times offices both on E Main, Ambrose the dentist,Security National Bank, OB Davis Funeral Home, Otto Fisher' junk shop accross from the library, Ben Huskisson Insurance, Zinna Plumbing, Walter Leonard Plumbpng, Henshel Soda Works all on E Main St.also The 1812 House, I'll be back tomorrow with more, enjoy the memories

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM

192 posts, read 269,994 times
Goodness, I do remember. I came there as a bride of 23. We moved into my husband's family's summer house which we had bought from the family. It was on the water in Mt Sinai.

The first time I went shopping I went to that large hardware store in upper Port, on the east side of Main St, a big place -- God, what was the name of that store? they had everything -- and some old men were hanging round the place. They wanted to know who I was and when I told them they described how they had replaced the windows in our house after the Hurricane of 38 blew them out. My husband's family was in Manila at the time. Some of them ended up encarcerated by the Japanese in Sto Tomas.

The old men started telling stories and I didn't want to leave because I knew that I was hearing living history. What should have been a short errand kept me away for hours. This was my intro to LI.

I still have a glass vase I bought at Robert Hall Antiques. Remember Mrs Heesch? And dinner at the Elks?

Bohacks.

Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 27,021 times
that was Mc Eweon's hardware

Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM

Default That's it!

Yes! That's the name. I can remember it, and the large feed and grain along the tracks in the station.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 13,306 times
Handshaw's Shell...owned by Ray Handshaw, my grandfather. Unfortunately, he sold the place when he retired after 40 or so years and it has been several different shops since then, but never again a service station. It is sad. I miss Grammas' the most though. The occasional Saturday morning, I'd tag along with my dad, who went every week, & I'd have a Thomas' English muffin, drowned in butter, with the smell of fresh coffee wafting through the air. Some things you just never forget. Those were the days.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:19 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default A map of the Village of Port Jefferson in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County

To help you guys reminisce ...

A map of the Village of Port Jefferson in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

The Village of Port Jefferson has a different border than does the "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address and not be in the Village of Port Jefferson and a place can have other than a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address and be in the Village of Port Jefferson): places that have a "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" mailing address that are not in the Village of Port Jefferson are in the Village of Belle Terre and the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Port Jefferson with a "Mount Sinai, NY 11766" and a "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" mailing address.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracergirl11 View Post
Handshaw's Shell...owned by Ray Handshaw, my grandfather. Unfortunately, he sold the place when he retired after 40 or so years and it has been several different shops since then, but never again a service station. It is sad. I miss Grammas' the most though. The occasional Saturday morning, I'd tag along with my dad, who went every week, & I'd have a Thomas' English muffin, drowned in butter, with the smell of fresh coffee wafting through the air. Some things you just never forget. Those were the days.
And the old ferry, the Martha's Vinyard.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:03 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,274,691 times
Elk's Hotel where the waiters all knew your name .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 PM

112 posts, read 218,343 times
Robert , are you THE Robert Hall who owned the antique store ???

Some of the Elks most notable customers were Bud Abbott , Hurd Hadfield , and Telly Savalas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island