Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM

157 posts, read 457,847 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have anything in print? (Newspaper articles or what ever?) i attempted to google information, but I only saw all the old stuff about it being opened and then shut down. I dont see anything solid either way about its possible future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
Does anyone have anything in print? (Newspaper articles or what ever?) i attempted to google information, but I only saw all the old stuff about it being opened and then shut down. I dont see anything solid either way about its possible future.
North Shore Sun but you need to be a sub.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM

90 posts, read 296,218 times
I think they should build another Target, Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes or how about another CVS or Walgreens on the site. We all know there are not enough of these stores on Long Island.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonylongisland View Post
Planning the Fate of a Nuclear Plant’s Land | PROS

Old 06-24-2009, 11:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
That plant will never be opened....LIPA will continue to buy electicity from other states at a riduculous price and then mark up a profit and then sell it to us Long Islanders. Great right?
They should not have built the entire plant and THEN been disapproved for operating it because there is no feasible escape route off LI if there is an emergency. I wonder what bribe didn't go through to get the okay on that? They just spent the money recklessly knowing that if it failed the taxpayer would pick up the tab. And we did. I guess there must have been a bribery feeding frenzy among the contractors who worked to build the plant so that's why the plant got built never to be used and wasted all that money ... because it was too tempting to fill all those pockets.

I just wonder why there is currently an operating nuclear power plant right across LI Sound from LI that if it blew up, would certainly affect LI'ers ... nobody took us into account then and our lack of a feasible escape route.

As for LIPA buying power and charging us high rates, that is the way it goes for us, yet places like Freeport and Rockville Centre manage to provide power to their residents (that they bought from other places just like LIPA does) at a fraction of what LIPA rooks the rest of us for. Remember back when everyone was complaining that LILCO was the most expensive electricity in the nation and it was blamed on LILCO being a "for profit" company? So they rooked us into letting them change it to LIPA and swore our power would be more reasonable. I remember they sent out rebate checks ($50, $100, etc.), do you? Well that was the last "bargain" I ever got out of LIPA. Result? It is still one of, if not THE, most expensive electric utilities in the nation, non-profit status be damned. I suppose they are paying rock star salaries to their altruistic non-profit executives.

In short, even if the Shoreham plant was operating, I don't think our electricity would be more reasonable. There are too many scams to pull and excuses to use to fleece us.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I just wonder why there is currently an operating nuclear power plant right across LI Sound from LI that if it blew up, would certainly affect LI'ers ... nobody took us into account then and our lack of a feasible escape route.

You WILL see more nuke plants. How much oil/coal/nat gas do you think is left?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
You WILL see more nuke plants. How much oil/coal/nat gas do you think is left?
I am not complaining because I don't believe in nuclear power. I am complaining because if it blows up, it will affect us just like Shoreham would have. So why was that one allowed and Shoreham wasn't?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
^^ An escape route?? Your chances of being killed by a hurricane as to a nuclear power plant are greater. We are the only country that stopped building nuclear power plants. Wait in 20 years when were buying electricity from China..just like everything else!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times
Quote:
^^ An escape route?? Your chances of being killed by a hurricane as to a nuclear power plant are greater. We are the only country that stopped building nuclear power plants. Wait in 20 years when were buying electricity from China..just like everything else!!!
Yes but will it contain lead?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
That is the official reason why Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant was never allowed to actually provide power once it was completed. An escape route. (And, no, I did not have any part in that decision, nor am I supporting it. I am just stating the reason Shoreham never went online.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island