U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Dead end - Long Island,
999 posts, read 1,855,392 times
Reputation: 354

Advertisements

Both could have benefited from having a motorsports facility.

The Ferrari accident in Quoge was speed related.

Totally avoidable if levy used the appropriate properties for motorsports, especially after having 3 Legal meetings and 98% of the people, also the majority spoke there peace on what they wanted the prop used for.
They were ignored, not very democratic like, though very dictator like. More lives lost!

Over 20 people have died due to circumstances directly related to this since then...
How many more.. Maybe you can be caught up in it next?


The accident on the LIE, also speed related, though puzzling how on a straight line road heading east @ 4am such a accident could happen...

The driver of the suv says he was doing 60 mph and was clipped by the bmw as it came up on him rapidly and clipping him at the rear while passing toward the right. He noticed the car approaching fast in the rear view...you would guess the roadway was empty... why then would such a travesty have happened, not enough training? maybe they needed more?
A facility where they can be tested and see there not as good as they thought? Might make people aware of what dangers they truly take in there own hands....

The need for a motorsports facility is greatly needed, not only for those risking chances on the street with no where to go, but for those that need to have a facility to learn to drive correctly.
Maybe this officer was impaired at the time, sleepy, or not paying attention do to allowing himself to be distracted by some device...

The need for a facility to allow people to learn the actions of bad judgement in a controled environment where they can live after making that faulty move, or mistake, so they don't make it in real life on the roads where you and your family are operating...

Imagine a facility you could send your teen to learn for free and see 1st hand he/she isn't the driver they thought with real world training, under controled testing a accident can be avoided yet have them witness 1st hand how quickly there life can be ended by a poor choice, or wet road conditions, or how they could end someone else's.
Imagine that facility, where you could go to learn to keep yourself alive


Join www.limotorsports.org , then write, call, e-mail Mr.Levy's office and ask him why people need to be put in harms way, a game almost and have there life chanced when something can be done about this issue to make it go away....

They may never lower taxes or get anything else right, but this they can get right... A builder only needs the property to be sold / leased to them, SC has the property, use it.

Not to mention the revenue that can be generated, jobs created.

A nice family motorsports show can do over 100 million for a single event... unlike the us open needing weeks of problems and detours and inconvience... 2 different weekends and L.I. could see 8 million easily in taxe revenue... If they truly are going to try and lower taxes....well you see 3 issues can be solved with 1 project
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
 
1,141 posts, read 2,076,167 times
Reputation: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Both could have benefited from having a motorsports facility.

The Ferrari accident in Quoge was speed related.

Totally avoidable if levy used the appropriate properties for motorsports, especially after having 3 Legal meetings and 98% of the people, also the majority spoke there peace on what they wanted the prop used for.
They were ignored, not very democratic like, though very dictator like. More lives lost!

Over 20 people have died due to circumstances directly related to this since then...
How many more.. Maybe you can be caught up in it next?


The accident on the LIE, also speed related, though puzzling how on a straight line road heading east @ 4am such a accident could happen...

The driver of the suv says he was doing 60 mph and was clipped by the bmw as it came up on him rapidly and clipping him at the rear while passing toward the right. He noticed the car approaching fast in the rear view...you would guess the roadway was empty... why then would such a travesty have happened, not enough training? maybe they needed more?
A facility where they can be tested and see there not as good as they thought? Might make people aware of what dangers they truly take in there own hands....

The need for a motorsports facility is greatly needed, not only for those risking chances on the street with no where to go, but for those that need to have a facility to learn to drive correctly.
Maybe this officer was impaired at the time, sleepy, or not paying attention do to allowing himself to be distracted by some device...

The need for a facility to allow people to learn the actions of bad judgement in a controled environment where they can live after making that faulty move, or mistake, so they don't make it in real life on the roads where you and your family are operating...

Imagine a facility you could send your teen to learn for free and see 1st hand he/she isn't the driver they thought with real world training, under controled testing a accident can be avoided yet have them witness 1st hand how quickly there life can be ended by a poor choice, or wet road conditions, or how they could end someone else's.
Imagine that facility, where you could go to learn to keep yourself alive


Join www.limotorsports.org , then write, call, e-mail Mr.Levy's office and ask him why people need to be put in harms way, a game almost and have there life chanced when something can be done about this issue to make it go away....

They may never lower taxes or get anything else right, but this they can get right... A builder only needs the property to be sold / leased to them, SC has the property, use it.

Not to mention the revenue that can be generated, jobs created.

A nice family motorsports show can do over 100 million for a single event... unlike the us open needing weeks of problems and detours and inconvience... 2 different weekends and L.I. could see 8 million easily in taxe revenue... If they truly are going to try and lower taxes....well you see 3 issues can be solved with 1 project
speed related, as in they were both speeding ???
agree with you on the facility, but maybe they both would have benefited if they had driven at the speed limit ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
874 posts, read 2,308,634 times
Reputation: 452
I would like to see a racing facility on Long Island probably as much as you would but trying to say these accidents would not have occurred if there was a racing facility is really not a good argument. Police departments have driver training that officers have to go through while in the academy. Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn is used for the NYPD. I do not know if that is still where they do it but that is where they had it when I went. You also have to realize that the majority of people are not going to go to a racing facility because they want to learn how to drive better. The average parent is not going to take their teenager there thinking that their child will learn to be a better driver. I see that you are trying to push for a race track to be open and I do applaud that but I think the way you are going about it by writing things like this is probably going to have an adverse effect. The only argument that can really be made for having a racing facility is the fact that it will probably prevent some people whom race on the street from doing so since they have a place to go and race. To try and say that it will help people that are doing high speeds on the street do so safer and better is not a good argument at all since people should not be doing these speeds on the street to begin with. As I said, I would also like to see a race track such as they had and I used in the Hamptons but you have to be careful with how you try to get people on the side of a race track. I believe that writing things such as this post is not going to get the average citizen whom is not into racing to support your idea of having a racing facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 AM
 
9,282 posts, read 12,044,342 times
Reputation: 4733
Both could have benefited from obeying the same laws that they and their comrades most certainly gave citations to other people for violating, while routinely giving free passes to each other and their friends and families. We have speed laws for a reason. Not because the municipalities need to generate revenue, but because speed is dangerous. I'm not sure that cops are learning that at the acadamies and applying it their civilian lives. And no, this isn't just a coincidence...many..too many..cops speed because they know they can get away with it. Occasionally you'll have the old timer who plods along at the speed limit, but they are few and far between.

3 men are dead at far too young an age (2 cops, one passenger), and luckily more weren't killed due to their reckless actions.

We need to ask the question why, and I can tell you that the answer has little to do with govt sanctioned racing tracks.


Before you say that I am heartless, how do you think cops would respond to a story about a 32 year old hot-shot lawyer in a BMW flipping over on the LIE? They would say that he was reckless and arrogant after saying that they felt sorry for the guys family. I feel sorry for these men's families, but in one case, reckless is 100% correct, and in the other, it appears that reckless driving is likely the case. Time for some retraining, Suffolk Police Academy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 07:15 AM
 
1,917 posts, read 4,267,712 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Both could have benefited from having a motorsports facility.

The Ferrari accident in Quoge was speed related.

Totally avoidable if levy used the appropriate properties for motorsports, especially after having 3 Legal meetings and 98% of the people, also the majority spoke there peace on what they wanted the prop used for.
They were ignored, not very democratic like, though very dictator like. More lives lost!

Over 20 people have died due to circumstances directly related to this since then...
How many more.. Maybe you can be caught up in it next?


The accident on the LIE, also speed related, though puzzling how on a straight line road heading east @ 4am such a accident could happen...

The driver of the suv says he was doing 60 mph and was clipped by the bmw as it came up on him rapidly and clipping him at the rear while passing toward the right. He noticed the car approaching fast in the rear view...you would guess the roadway was empty... why then would such a travesty have happened, not enough training? maybe they needed more?
A facility where they can be tested and see there not as good as they thought? Might make people aware of what dangers they truly take in there own hands....

The need for a motorsports facility is greatly needed, not only for those risking chances on the street with no where to go, but for those that need to have a facility to learn to drive correctly.
Maybe this officer was impaired at the time, sleepy, or not paying attention do to allowing himself to be distracted by some device...

The need for a facility to allow people to learn the actions of bad judgement in a controled environment where they can live after making that faulty move, or mistake, so they don't make it in real life on the roads where you and your family are operating...

Imagine a facility you could send your teen to learn for free and see 1st hand he/she isn't the driver they thought with real world training, under controled testing a accident can be avoided yet have them witness 1st hand how quickly there life can be ended by a poor choice, or wet road conditions, or how they could end someone else's.
Imagine that facility, where you could go to learn to keep yourself alive


Join www.limotorsports.org , then write, call, e-mail Mr.Levy's office and ask him why people need to be put in harms way, a game almost and have there life chanced when something can be done about this issue to make it go away....

They may never lower taxes or get anything else right, but this they can get right... A builder only needs the property to be sold / leased to them, SC has the property, use it.

Not to mention the revenue that can be generated, jobs created.

A nice family motorsports show can do over 100 million for a single event... unlike the us open needing weeks of problems and detours and inconvience... 2 different weekends and L.I. could see 8 million easily in taxe revenue... If they truly are going to try and lower taxes....well you see 3 issues can be solved with 1 project

I don't recall seeing you at Bridgehampton before it became a very expensive golf course.
I used to race motorcycles there and it was odd how out of 300 or so racers only a handful were from LI.
It is unlikely having a local racetrack would save lives. This is a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
874 posts, read 2,308,634 times
Reputation: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Both could have benefited from obeying the same laws that they and their comrades most certainly gave citations to other people for violating, while routinely giving free passes to each other and their friends and families. We have speed laws for a reason. Not because the municipalities need to generate revenue, but because speed is dangerous. I'm not sure that cops are learning that at the acadamies and applying it their civilian lives. And no, this isn't just a coincidence...many..too many..cops speed because they know they can get away with it. Occasionally you'll have the old timer who plods along at the speed limit, but they are few and far between.

3 men are dead at far too young an age (2 cops, one passenger), and luckily more weren't killed due to their reckless actions.

We need to ask the question why, and I can tell you that the answer has little to do with govt sanctioned racing tracks.


Before you say that I am heartless, how do you think cops would respond to a story about a 32 year old hot-shot lawyer in a BMW flipping over on the LIE? They would say that he was reckless and arrogant after saying that they felt sorry for the guys family. I feel sorry for these men's families, but in one case, reckless is 100% correct, and in the other, it appears that reckless driving is likely the case. Time for some retraining, Suffolk Police Academy.
I do not agree with the fact that police officers need retraining because of these accidents. One was a Suffolk County Police officer the other was a Quoge officer. They are not even the same department. Where do you base your argument that all police officers speed? I am a retired NYPD officer and do not feel or act as if I do not have to obey the law and do not know others that do. If anything, police officers within police departments are held to a much higher standard than the general public. I am not going to sit here and say that there are no police officers that drive reckless on a regular basis but to say that the majority do is not a fair or correct statement either. Remember, police officers see many more traffic accidents than the general public does. Also, officers see the injuries that are the result of these accidents that the general public does not see on a daily basis. If anything a police officer knows the consequences of driving reckless more than the general public does and will drive more cautiously as a result. One thing I feel a lot of people do not think about that I do on a regular basis is the danger of driving at excessive speeds and having a mechanical failure that is out of the driver's control. Why? Due to the fact that I have seen bad vehicle accidents caused by this first hand. This alone is enough to make me not drive at excessive speeds. In 1996 I responded to a one vehicle accident which involved a 1996 Camaro on the West Side Highway at around 2 AM. The driver admitted to driving above the speed limit and drove over a small amount of sand during a curve on the roadway which caused his car to slide out of control into the median. He turned out to have no visible injuries but his car was beyond totaled. Just for the record, he was not a police officer and he was not given a ticket for speeding. We at the scene decided to use our discretion since his was the only vehicle involved and we figured that his totaled car was much more than enough punishment for his actions. The point I am trying to make with this is just the fact that I always try to be aware of the things I have seen happen to cause vehicle collisions and do my best to keep myself out of the same situation. One way to stay out of bad situations is to NOT drive at excessive speeds. I personally make it a conscious decision to keep my speed close to the posted speed limit and I am sure that many other police officers do the same for the same reasons. This is why I do not agree with the individual that started this thread. He would probably respond to this post saying that if there was a race track everyone in the world can go to everyone would know how to keep control of a vehicle that gets a blow out at 100 mph. I am guessing that maybe he does not watch NASCAR where a flat puts at least one car into the wall or into the other cars on the track on a daily basis at high speed. By the way, I watch NASCAR all of the time and the average speed at Infineon Raceway this past weekend for the winning car was 71.012 miles per hour and there were cars spinning out on their own without being bumped by anyone. Perhaps they need more training or even better, a racing track on Long Island where they can "learn" how to drive at high speeds?

Last edited by Egobop; 06-24-2009 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 AM
 
9,282 posts, read 12,044,342 times
Reputation: 4733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I do not agree with the fact that police officers need retraining because of these accidents. One was a Suffolk County Police officer the other was a Quoge officer. They are not even the same department. Where do you base your argument that all police officers speed? I am a retired NYPD officer and do not feel or act as if I do not have to obey the law and do not know others that do. If anything, police officers within police departments are held to a much higher standard than the general public. I am not going to sit here and say that there are no police officers that drive reckless on a regular basis but to say that the majority do is not a fair or correct statement either. Remember, police officers see many more traffic accidents than the general public does. Also, officers see the injuries that are the result of these accidents that the general public does not see on a daily basis. If anything a police officer knows the consequences of driving reckless more than the general public does and will drive more cautiously as a result. One thing I feel a lot of people do not think about that I do on a regular basis is the danger of driving at excessive speeds and having a mechanical failure that is out of the driver's control. Why? Due to the fact that I have seen bad vehicle accidents caused by this first hand. This alone is enough to make me not drive at excessive speeds. In 1996 I responded to a one vehicle accident which involved a 1996 Camaro on the West Side Highway at around 2 AM. The driver admitted to driving above the speed limit and drove over a small amount of sand during a curve on the roadway which caused his car to slide out of control into the median. He turned out to have no visible injuries but his car was beyond totaled. Just for the record, he was not a police officer and he was not given a ticket for speeding. We at the scene decided to use our discretion since his was the only vehicle involved and we figured that his totaled car was much more than enough punishment for his actions. The point I am trying to make with this is just the fact that I always try to be aware of the things I have seen happen to cause vehicle collisions and do my best to keep myself out of the same situation. One way to stay out of bad situations is to NOT drive at excessive speeds. I personally make it a conscious decision to keep my speed close to the posted speed limit and I am sure that many other police officers do the same for the same reasons. This is why I do not agree with the individual that started this thread. He would probably respond to this post saying that if there was a race track everyone in the world can go to everyone would know how to keep control of a vehicle that gets a blow out at 100 mph. I am guessing that maybe he does not watch NASCAR where a flat puts at least one car into the wall or into the other cars on the track on a daily basis at high speed. By the way, I watch NASCAR all of the time and the average speed at Infineon Raceway this past weekend for the winning car was 71.012 miles per hour and there were cars spinning out on their own without being bumped by anyone. Perhaps they need more training or even better, a racing track on Long Island where they can "learn" how to drive at high speeds?
The original poster obviously wants a race track. The case of these 2 accidents has nothing to do with race tracks.

Quogue does not have it's own police academy. Most likely they train in the Suffolk Academy or with one of the towns. Suffolk Sheriffs also train at SCPD academy.

I know cops. Many speed to some extent. Recklessly? Maybe not. 80 on the LIE? yes. I have one uncle who always stuck to 5 over the speed limit. He was not the norm.

I have to commend you for your level of civility. You've yet to insinuate that I'm : 1) a skel with a record 2) a jealous guy who failed out of the academy. Instead, you simply discussed the topic in a thoughtful and intelligent manner. I knew you guys were out there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 2,782,133 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Both could have benefited from having a motorsports facility.

The Ferrari accident in Quoge was speed related.

Totally avoidable if levy used the appropriate properties for motorsports, especially after having 3 Legal meetings and 98% of the people, also the majority spoke there peace on what they wanted the prop used for.
They were ignored, not very democratic like, though very dictator like. More lives lost!

Over 20 people have died due to circumstances directly related to this since then...
How many more.. Maybe you can be caught up in it next?


The accident on the LIE, also speed related, though puzzling how on a straight line road heading east @ 4am such a accident could happen...

The driver of the suv says he was doing 60 mph and was clipped by the bmw as it came up on him rapidly and clipping him at the rear while passing toward the right. He noticed the car approaching fast in the rear view...you would guess the roadway was empty... why then would such a travesty have happened, not enough training? maybe they needed more?
A facility where they can be tested and see there not as good as they thought? Might make people aware of what dangers they truly take in there own hands....

The need for a motorsports facility is greatly needed, not only for those risking chances on the street with no where to go, but for those that need to have a facility to learn to drive correctly.
Maybe this officer was impaired at the time, sleepy, or not paying attention do to allowing himself to be distracted by some device...

The need for a facility to allow people to learn the actions of bad judgement in a controled environment where they can live after making that faulty move, or mistake, so they don't make it in real life on the roads where you and your family are operating...

Imagine a facility you could send your teen to learn for free and see 1st hand he/she isn't the driver they thought with real world training, under controled testing a accident can be avoided yet have them witness 1st hand how quickly there life can be ended by a poor choice, or wet road conditions, or how they could end someone else's.
Imagine that facility, where you could go to learn to keep yourself alive


Join www.limotorsports.org , then write, call, e-mail Mr.Levy's office and ask him why people need to be put in harms way, a game almost and have there life chanced when something can be done about this issue to make it go away....

They may never lower taxes or get anything else right, but this they can get right... A builder only needs the property to be sold / leased to them, SC has the property, use it.

Not to mention the revenue that can be generated, jobs created.

A nice family motorsports show can do over 100 million for a single event... unlike the us open needing weeks of problems and detours and inconvience... 2 different weekends and L.I. could see 8 million easily in taxe revenue... If they truly are going to try and lower taxes....well you see 3 issues can be solved with 1 project
They were speeding based on others comments. This is tragic for their families, and has nothing to do with the goal of getting a motorsports facility put in out east. Unless the hypothesis is that if they had recently raced in, or attended a race out east they would suddenly decide to not fly down the LIE in a Beemer knowing full well they would never get a ticket. I feel terrible for the Ronkonkoma officer's young family, but it appears he was speeding on the LIE after a night out with the boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 AM
 
81 posts, read 182,693 times
Reputation: 89
Speed Kills, Period.

What is the difference between a Mercedes Benz that is sold in Germany an one that is sold in America ? Cup Holders.

Driving in Germany means driving at high rates of speeds, but requires 100% of your attention.

American drivers are used to driving at lower speeds. Drivers fall into a false sense of security by multitasking during driving with cell phone use, eating, drinking, applying make up, texting, reading, etc. If you add tiredness, bad weather and speed, and it's a bad mix.

We don't need to learn how to drive well fast, but just to drive well.

The best part of driving at Floyd Bennett Field is that you are exposed to how to properly use the brakes, avoid obstacles, and handling a car under normal speeds, but not how to drive fast. This type of training is invaluable and every driver should be exposed to some type of training like this so they do not have to practice how to handle a car on the road but in a safe controlled environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 AM
 
Location: On a Long Island in NY
7,482 posts, read 7,423,490 times
Reputation: 6723
All LE agencies in Suffolk County go through the SCPD Academy at SCCC - Grant in Brentwood. However, certain agencies are tought by SCSO instructors rather then SCPD instructors ... irregardless all go to the same academy and go through the same training (yes, even the so called fake cop SCSO deputy sheriffs who despite what Jeff Failer wants you to believe have the same exact training and certification as SCPD officers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top