U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Long Island
38 posts, read 70,981 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

Went to Five Guys the night they opened a few Fridays ago. Had some techinical difficulties but within 45 mins they opened (gave everyone free drinks for waiting).

Burgers are decent sized, cooked to order, everything is fresh.
Fries feed 2 people for 1 large order.

Better then the normal fast food joints including Wendys , BK and Mickey D's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Palm Coast, FL & Floral Park, NY
563 posts, read 1,759,941 times
Reputation: 197
I have only been to a Five Guys in Florida but I was a little turned off by the fact that they wouldn't cook my burger the way I want it. Maybe its just Florida and the Long Island locations are different but I like my burgers around medium rare (more towards the rare end as opposed to the medium end) and they wouldn't do it. Supposedly they couldn't because its some rule for the company, or some BS like that. THey said they would "try" to do it. They failed.

Anyway, good fries, free peanuts, burger was fresh, made to order ("their way").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,485,182 times
Reputation: 918
Is it better than American Roadside in Smithtown? Do they have a place to sit down for us bus riders or is it strictly drive-in only?
I'd be curious to check this place out, as I tried Roadside but its a ripoff for what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:51 PM
 
Location: Palm Coast, FL & Floral Park, NY
563 posts, read 1,759,941 times
Reputation: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Is it better than American Roadside in Smithtown? Do they have a place to sit down for us bus riders or is it strictly drive-in only?
I'd be curious to check this place out, as I tried Roadside but its a ripoff for what you get.
The one I was at, you could sit down. you come in, order, wait, get your food and go find a table...or find a table first and wait til your number is called. As previously stated, there are roasted shelled peanuts to knosh on while you wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,485,182 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
The one I was at, you could sit down. you come in, order, wait, get your food and go find a table...or find a table first and wait til your number is called. As previously stated, there are roasted shelled peanuts to knosh on while you wait.
Sounds like I may try it out. Its about time Long Island get more burger joints!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Currently seeking a home!
130 posts, read 442,767 times
Reputation: 55
Thats right near my house! Might have to check that out this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Austin
1,231 posts, read 1,398,061 times
Reputation: 889
I tried the Austin location and I am hooked after one visit! I like a cheeseburger with jalapenos, grilled onions and BBQ sauce. They use fresh jalapenos, not picked ones from a jar.

Also, you can get cajun fries which I recommend if you like spicy food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 AM
 
7,338 posts, read 7,848,799 times
Reputation: 2903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Is it better than American Roadside in Smithtown? Do they have a place to sit down for us bus riders or is it strictly drive-in only?
I'd be curious to check this place out, as I tried Roadside but its a ripoff for what you get.
Yes, I think American Roadside is underwhelming.

Bobby Flay's place in the Smithaven Mall has GREAT burgers, but that's pretty pricey. I like flame grilled or charcoal cooked meat, and roadside and Five Guys fry on a griddle, but Five Guys is still good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 AM
 
6,046 posts, read 7,415,687 times
Reputation: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
I have only been to a Five Guys in Florida but I was a little turned off by the fact that they wouldn't cook my burger the way I want it. Maybe its just Florida and the Long Island locations are different but I like my burgers around medium rare (more towards the rare end as opposed to the medium end) and they wouldn't do it. Supposedly they couldn't because its some rule for the company, or some BS like that. THey said they would "try" to do it. They failed.

Anyway, good fries, free peanuts, burger was fresh, made to order ("their way").
A lot of places (not just five guys) wont cook meat medium-rare anymore b/c of people getting sick and e-coli.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: New York
1,123 posts, read 2,195,156 times
Reputation: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Eh, I guess. All that I know is that I paid 11 bucks for lunch there. Yes, the fries are huge..why don't they offer a small size? It's no good if you don't have someone to share with.
Went by there on Saturday - really good place for hamburgers. $10.00 & change got a fat burger with everything I liked.

Their large cup of fries, got to my table and looked in the bag, they gave me enough fires to fill three cups.

Again good place.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top