Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Advice needed on schools in Long Island, moving to Quogue, school ratings, smaller class size, field trips, elementary and middle school districts, the best districts in the area, school size

Old 04-16-2007, 10:02 AM

138 posts, read 600,705 times

Advertisements

We are moving to either Quogue or E. Quogue.

We have a deposit on land to build a home in Quogue, although there may be a problem fitting the house plan so we looked into another option and we found a great piece of land but it is literally on the border of Quogue and E.Quogue thus changing the school district.

I already know that the Quogue school has better ratings, smaller class size, more field trips, options etc.

I'm torn because I don't know what to do regarding the schools. If we can't live in Quogue, my children will have to attend the E. Quogue school. Although this isn't a bad school but any means, I just know that on paper the Quogue school is more appealing.

The elementary level (6 years) is where the schools are different.. both school districts end up in the same middle and high school

I would appreciate ANY opinons on these two schools and if anyone has knowledge of these areas.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
Please don't think me rude, but I am a former Lawgilander......

Have you thought of decreasing the size of the home so that you can stay in the better district? 6,000 sq feet is awfully large......and will cost an arm and a leg to air condition (a must on LI) and to heat.....not to mention clean and furnish. How about 5,000 sq feet that will fit on the land? what would you really be giving up? I know ou have been quite excited about this move and I know this must be scary this late in the game.

I think you reall question is this: Sacrafice some space in an already VERY large home to ensure your children are in the better district and you are in the more expensive section of "town" OR sacrafice the education and district and "resale" for a VERY large home. What are your true and serious goals in moving out East? To have a big impressive house on a 1 1/4 acre lot in a good district and a very nice town OR to have a nice home, nicer than the majority of residents on LI, on a 1 1/4 acre lot in a good district in a very nice town? It is all about priorities, and I know your's are in the right place from past posts, but this seems like a no-brainer to me.

Good luck, I hope that whatever your decision is it is the right one for your family and future

Old 04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Hi Chella -

I don't mean to be picky, but are you really talking about two distinct school districts, or are you talking about two different elementary schools? Because if it's just a different elementary school, it may be the same district.

What is confusing me is that you say your kids will go to the same middle school and high school - that implies to me that the elementary schools must be in the same school district. I've never heard of a separate school district just for elementary schools.

Point of educational law: If you are indeed talking about the same school district, the elementary schools have got to have the same courses offered, same specials, same everything academically. Where they can differ is with clubs, school government, etc.

So, before you do something you'll regret make sure that you are definitely talking about 2 different school districts.

PS - Sometimes elementary schools can differ dramatically in a school district - sort of like the haves and the have nots. The better one will have the better teachers, better parent support because of demographics. It's worth checking into. If there is a large descrepancy, it's best to go with the better of the schools, especially at the elementary level.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 AM

138 posts, read 600,705 times
Default Well actually... answer to both questions here

It's not exactly the size of the house that is my priority.
The land we have a deposit on will not fit our house plan the way we want...meaning no matter what the size of the home we would have to turn it sideways in order to have a yard. The way the lot is shaped causes a problem whether we have a 4,000sq foot home or 8,000 it doesn't matter.

It's a corner lot and the restrictions are horrible because it is considered having 2 front yards which just doesn't work for us. We want a back yard for our children to play.

Answer to question two:
YES these are TWO different elementary schools. But they are actually considered TWO different districts. I know it's unheard of but out East this is exactly what it is.

The elementary schools consist of a few different school districts.. Remsenburg, WHB,Quogue, E. Quogue. Once out of elementary school all the elementary students will attend a different district called Westhampton Beach.

I think the reason for this is because there aren't that many people out east to have different High schools so the districts then merge.

As far as Quogue.. this school is considered a public/private school. The classrooms consist of no more than 15 kids per class and only one teacher per grade (one kindergarten, one first grade etc) this means the kids are in the same group until 6th grade.
They have the means to have more field trips, better computers etc.
the stats are excellent too.

The E. Quogue elem school is great. Just not as good as Quogue. I certainly wouldn't be putting my children in a bad district. It is actually equivalent to Smithtown district, Locust Valley and those schools as where Quogue is equivalent to Jericho, CSH.

It's just like having the BEST school vs SECOND BEST. Not really a MAJOR ordeal.

I would never put my children in a district with a terrible reputation.

I attended Sachem and I wouldn't even put my kids there and it's still considered a decent school district.

I think the size of my home is not an issue. I want my children in a nice neighborhood and a decent school where they will experience everything.

I guess I just wanted the best of the best KWIM? (what kills me is that this other home is literally on the border of both towns and if I walk about 1000 feet I would be in the Quogue district) So frustrating.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
I am just not objective about East Quogue- my great aunt & uncle lived there- I spents the bulk of my childhood summers there and will always love it.

My guess as to why the E Quogue district is ranked a bit lower? There is a motel that has a section 8 population and the kids go to E Quogue schools. Those kids do not have stable lives. It is not a huge amount of kids but enough to affect the test #'s. Will it affect you kid's education for the worse? Is this very important in elementary school? These are the questions you have to ask yourself, and the principal & the neighbors...

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,297 times
UGH, what a spot you are in........

I think that it is time to make a decision though, and look forward, not back. I mean this in terms of it sounds like your lot, while very nice, just will not work in any configuration for your overall needs. So, then the question is; is there another lot in Quogue or can you get the "line" out of your head, purchase the lot in EQ and move forward with a positive attitude and excitement. Honestly, since the High School is the same for both districts I think you can make decision and be happy with it. Elementary School, while necessary, is no where near as critical as HS. In elementary you as parents can supplement the education by keeping a close eye on where your children are educationally. Meaning, lots of reading, discussions on things you see and do daily, painting, story telling, math, etc. It gets harder in HS as the kids are older (and the homework harder ) - but you will be in the same school at that point.

Indeed, you are in between a rock and a hard place, but there are solutions to the problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Okay here comes my argument for the better of the two schools.

Contrary to popular belief, elementary school is very important. That's where the kids learn how to learn and challenge themselves. If that's ignored by the teachers for certain students, they're the ones who get lost at the junior high and high school level. They become discouraged and demoralized when the teacher won't call on them for an answer because they know the student knows the answer every time. I've seen it many times with kids in my local district. Our "home" school is the worst out of our 5 elementary schools. It caters to the average. The smart kids "will survive" (a verbatim quote from one of my kids' teachers). The teachers are happy when the whole class accomplishes all the teaching goals, everyone passes, everyone is happy except for the high-end kids who are bored. And burned out by 4th grade. They don't learn to follow directions because everything is too easy for them. With a small class teachers have to teach all the kids - they've got more energy and less kids to deal with. They will have the time and energy to teach even the bright ones.

Going with smaller classes is a no-brainer.

Your kids will be spending roughly 50% of their public school education in elementary school. If they're very bright kids, you want the teachers to teach them, not to ignore them, not to give them minimal attention and teach the rest of the class because they already know the cirriculum. That's what happens from K-5 in an "okay" school district. The classes are definitely larger than 15 kids/class. I'm guessing more like 25/class. The teacher teaches to the middle of the class and their extra energy (if there is any) goes to the slow kids - the teacher is accountable for the entire class. Hence the smart kids get very short-changed and are some of the time ignored.

Also, if your kids are very bright the work will be so easy they won't have to get organized and learn how to learn, because they won't have to. They'll be able to get straight A's without cracking a book. It sounds like a kid's paradise, until they get to middle school, have to start changing classes, deal with different teachers, different homework assignments, everything. Very smart kids in the elementary level never write down their homework- they just keep track of it in their heads. These are the students who have never had to get organized and who have never had the discipline to crack open a book for homework or tests (because they don't need to) - they become lost. Very lost at the middle-school level. That's when they still don't write down homework, target dates, test dates, etc. They're screwed (pardon the language). This results in the kids looking stupid, and being dumbed down into classes that are really too easy for them, which will of course translate into average classes at the high school level, which will look very bad on a transcript.

You want teachers who will teach and who want to teach your kids even if they are approaching the whiz-kid status.

If your kids are average or above average they'll do okay in either school. Period.

If it were me, there would be no way I'd turn down 15 kids to a class. That's the equivalent of a private school.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of flack from parents of kids who are average thinkers, or above average thinkers, but the truth is that the bulk of the classes at any school are aimed at them - the majority.

Someone offered the idea to enrich your child's world at home. Nice idea, and a help, but it doesn't hold a candle to a small class with a halfway decent teacher. I enriched my kids so well they were bored to death in school. And BTW, you may need to be their advocate in school if that time comes.

Another important point that's worth exploring and moving on is go to the school board in the better district - Quogue. Ask them if there is any way your kids can attend their district ie: some monetary arrangement through your taxes (I definitely don't mean a bribe). The CSH school district will let kids from Huntington attend the high school if extra money is paid into the district. This could be a substantial sum per child, but it's just a thought.

One other thought - there has got to be another piece of property in Quogue up for sale that will do so you end up with a backyard. Keep looking.

Old 04-20-2007, 04:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Chella,
I know the Quogue school has a wonderful reputation. It doesn't sound like the piece of land you guys are buying is ideal in any way.
I vote for looking for a different piece of land that will accomodate your new house better & be IN the area you are really shooting for.

You know I'm a big believer in kids with super involved parents being able to get a great, fufilling education just about anywhere on LI. However I know moving into Quogue is important to you, I don't think you should settle. You already have a big, beautiful house in a good district. I think you you shooting for Excellence.Good LUCK!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,381 times
I am from East Quogue. I love the school here. The teachers are great. If you have any problems or concerns they help. If they have concerns they contact you. We have classes from k- 6th grade. There are 3 classrooms per grade. Our 1st grade class has 4 classrooms due to the number of students. I believe Quogue has one classroom per grade. They are k - 6th. The problem that I found was Westhampton Beach School District. They are not as good as people think. If you have concerns they ignore them. They do not really care about the kids. I suggest you visit the schools and get a tour. Quogue and East Quouge send the children to Westhampton Beach for 7th -12th grade. The difference that you will see between Quogue and East Quogue are the property taxes. East Quogue property taxes are higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island