Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:12 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times

Advertisements

I am amazed by the amount of posts asking how specific neighborhoods are on Long Island. Here is some advice; do research on the neighborhood on your own. I am sure you can find out crime statistics, school information and nearly anything else you want to know about a neighborhood through web searches.

Nearly every neighborhood you will ask about in these forums will give you mixed opinions. You are going to get people that tell you the area is no good and others that tell you it is great. You have no way of telling which people actually live in the neighborhood you are asking about and how many people do not live there but are giving an opinion about the area anyway.

Anyone looking to move to a new area should spend some time looking at maps and driving around the area at different hours on different days of the week.

I am not saying that people should not ask about different areas in these forums if they want to. I am simply saying that it is nearly impossible to get a really good idea of how the area is when you will get conflicting information on nearly any area you ask about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,125 times
anyone is welcome to come here and ask advice from us. we dont have to live in roosevelt, wyndanche, uniondale or brentwood to tell you that its bad. its common sense.

some people dont have time to drive around all day, or night, through neighborhoods. the internet was made to reduce time for things like this.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
I agree with both of the previous posters to an extent.

I always suggest that people do the majority of the research on their own, and honestly when it comes to buying a home if you can't find the time to do the homework you probably will get screwed. What's good for me may not work at all for someone else, but there's an azz for every seat when it comes to home buying.
For example most people in Western Suffolk or Nassau will say my town is "bad" yet most have never been here & probably couldn't even find my town with the assistance of GPS. Most people on CD will say Jericho is the best, I say you couldn't pay me to live there, neither is right or wrong. They are opinions and all valid.
I do think that asking questions on CD or any other message board can be extremely useful for people relocating from another area or if someone has specific questions about an area they've already researched on their own.

So I say ask away, but *try* to do a little legwork on your own first & please don't just ask if a town is good or bad.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:12 AM

330 posts, read 888,161 times
You have to be the most wary of the advice from people that actually live in that neighborhood. Those living there tend to think its the greatest place in long island and will defend it to the death no matter what anyone else says. I mean they chose to live there so they want to validate their decision.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
You have to be the most wary of the advice from people that actually live in that neighborhood. Those living there tend to think its the greatest place in long island and will defend it to the death no matter what anyone else says. I mean they chose to live there so they want to validate their decision.

I do not think that is always true. I know of plenty of people on CD that are honest about whatever shortcomings their town has, every town has SOMETHING that is less than perfect. I'd take the opinion of someone living somewhere over the opinion of someone who's brother's cousin's sister-in-law lived there 26 years ago and said it was bad. KWIM?

Old 07-02-2009, 05:36 AM

330 posts, read 888,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
I do not think that is always true. I know of plenty of people on CD that are honest about whatever shortcomings their town has, every town has SOMETHING that is less than perfect. I'd take the opinion of someone living somewhere over the opinion of someone who's brother's cousin's sister-in-law lived there 26 years ago and said it was bad. KWIM?
Not talking about the comparison of the opinions of two people. When you have 8 posts about how a certain area has problems and then you get someone coming in saying, 'you people are all wrong, I live there, it is great' be skeptical.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:23 AM

22 posts, read 78,708 times
I always say "just because I ask for advice, doesn't mean I am going to take it." Sometimes you can find nuggets of useful information in piles of useless anecdotes. I agree that this forum should not be a one-stop for all information pertaining to neighborhoods that you might be considering, but a subset of all of your research. Some times the information on these boards can lead you to research something you were unaware of like proximity to a landfill, having no local target (oh no!), or challenges getting insurance.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:34 AM

183 posts, read 618,944 times
Basically Egobop is saying if you have a question don't ask, just go and find out for yourself. This is great advice and really eliminates the need for the human interaction that exists on CD as well as the internet itself! haha Egobop - why don't you be the first to stop coming to this forum?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:40 AM

231 posts, read 960,711 times
I don't really understand the original post. These are discussion forums - if people don't ask questions or post comments - City data wouldn't exist. This site is part of people doing their own research. After being on this site long enough you know who is full of crap, you know who is genuine, you know who is here to start trouble, you know who is on here to push their real estate business, etc... You decide who you want to listen to for input/advice and who you want to ignore.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 AM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
"do research on the neighborhood on your own."

Isn't this forum website a "research" source??? Of course, anyone looking at an area to move to, would physically go look at and research that area, but this is an interesting and quick way to get a feel for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island