Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:16 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,328,460 times

Advertisements

If at any point your body is covered with spiders, I think this is too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
IM BUGGING OUT!! Inside my room im afraid to move my curtains...there are tonz of these thick black spiders. Randomly sometimes multiple times in a day i spot 2 or 3 other big spiders and these arent no "betty long legs" I have a 8month old and i mostly c them by his crib, my laundry bag or bed which is wooden like the crib and its all driving me nuttz. Wat is the BEST spray to use (on a budget) ??????

Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,096,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
Chances are it was a Wolf spider. They look similar to the Recluse at first glance unless your daring enough to get close to see the features.

Here are two pics. First is the recluse. Second is the wolf:
Attachment 44626

Attachment 44627

Spiders do eat mosquitos and other pests but once inside, its a different beast. Unless you see other bugs,which I do not think thats your issue, this is just probably more of a nuisance. Spiders will move into an area only if it is capable of supporting their need for food. Without a good supply of food, they will either die or relocate. If a spider is able to establish a web in your home and is able to feed itself on a regular basis, you may want to get some spray or dust (similar to flea powder). Any perimeter spray will do the trick, but if you are looking for just inside treatment, make sure you have no small children or pets near the sprayed area until its dry. Spray will work fastest. Dusts are safer and are good deterrents.
Well, the wolf spider looks like it has stubbier legs, so you don't have to get that close to see the features.

And the spiders could be eating roaches or ants or other indoor pests. I mean, like you said, they only move to an area if there's food, so that could signify that there are some pests within her home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
I have a serious problem with cellar spiders. There are many different varieties. Many of the black spiders, some yellow/beige. I have had this inner conflict as to whether I should kill them or let them live in the basement. However, if like last year, they grow to an abnormal size, and when I pick the laundry up, they make a nasty "PHLAT" sound when they hit the floor. At that point, they are way too big. I think it would be best to spray prior to October/November. I just talked myself into it. I'm all for spraying!
Damn! You're right that it's best to get rid of them if they get to a large size.

Luckily, I don't see any significant number of spiders in my home itself: Just outside in the bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island