U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2009, 08:03 PM

132 posts, read 307,597 times
Default Large black bug

Anyone see a big black flying bug that looks like a cross between a large cockroach and a beetle? It has very long black antennas that are thick. Are there cockroaches that look like this or was this a beetle or something else. It just didn't quite seem like anything I could name. It wasn't a rhinocerus beetle because I've seen plenty of those in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:04 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,958,939 times
Probably a June Beetle... about the biggest thing you'll see up here

Old 07-06-2009, 09:58 PM

161 posts, read 393,673 times
i think you are referring to a water bug. Nasty looking things that look like a roach on steroids.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 AM

1,813 posts, read 3,280,422 times
Some possibilities:

Long Horned Pine Sawyers - eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

Asian Longhorned Beetle - Asian Longhorned Beetle Public Identification
IF it looks like this, notify someone immediately. These are nasty, invasive bugs that need to be eradicated. I don't know if they've been spotted in this area yet though.

Giant Water Bug - GIANT WATER BUG (http://www.eduwebs.org/bugs/giant_water_bug.htm - broken link)

file:///C:/Users/Melanie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM

141 posts, read 323,482 times
I saw one today at the salon I was in near my home! Like you mentioned, it looked like a black flying cockroach and when it landed on the young lady doing my nails I almost passed out. She simply flicked it away and got rid of it.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 17,719 times
Is there such a thing as a flying cockroach? or is that a waterbug?

Old 07-09-2009, 05:09 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,418,962 times
its a palmeto bug.(a roach with wings!)

Old 07-09-2009, 05:35 PM

432 posts, read 940,435 times
[quote=lialleycat;9638453]Some possibilities:

Long Horned Pine Sawyers - eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

Asian Longhorned Beetle - Asian Longhorned Beetle Public Identification
IF it looks like this, notify someone immediately. These are nasty, invasive bugs that need to be eradicated. I don't know if they've been spotted in this area yet though.

Giant Water Bug - GIANT WATER BUG (http://www.eduwebs.org/bugs/giant_water_bug.htm - broken link)

Ew,Ew,Ew.
I hate bugs. At my friends house in Florida they can grow big enough to ring your door bell.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,280,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post
Ew,Ew,Ew.
I hate bugs. At my friends house in Florida they can grow big enough to ring your door bell.
That's why I live in the North, the bugs decline over the winter instead of growing to the size of a mini-cooper! LOL.

Bugs are cool though. There's a hell of a lot more of them there are of us.

I'm one of the few women that when someone yells "Spider!" - I'm running toward it to check it out! Actually have someone bringing me a spider to id at work tomorrow. On purpose. LOL!

Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 10,165 times
Broadnecked Root Borer is probably what you have seen. Popular in the Northeast US & Southern Canada and can be as big as the other insects mentioned.. go here to confirm... [url=http://www.uvm.edu/albeetle/identification/index.html]Asian Longhorned Beetle Public Identification[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island