Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
1) No one has any way of telling another person's citizenship status. When I was in high school and college I worked in a few restaurants where the kitchens were staffed primarily by Hispanic immigrants. A good percentage of them had gone through the process to become legal citizens of this country....although they still rode their bikes to work, put in 14 hour days, got all sweaty, dirty and drank Coronas on park benches. Appearance means absolutely nothing.
That is a good point. And I am sure there are plenty of people that actually are "illegal aliens" who can pass for not being such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Unlike New Orleans, where you can get an alcoholic beverage from a bar "to go" in a plastic cup, people can get a ticket for consuming alcohol out on a public street (even if said alcoholic beverage is concealed in a brown paper bag).

In NYC, for example, it's considered a quality of life violation and the penalty is a fine and having to report somewhere and watch a movie on quality of life issues.
This is one hundred percent correct. The "brown paper bag" theory is something people like to think will get them out of a summons but it is completely wrong. I can say this since I am a retired officer and have written many such criminal court summonses (tickets).

That being said; I do agree with the previous post that stated that just because these people may be Mexican does not mean that they are illegal aliens.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,214 times
I will add that if these people are not doing anything that is a crime or a violation of the law the police have no right to stop them and ask their status as an American citizen.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM

48 posts, read 137,818 times
The Building at the intersection of Union/Prospect/Brush Hollow is no longer empty people live in that building...its actually a very nice looking building...and for the people that said New Cassel doesn't look so bad, what were you expecting?? It's still Long Island...I would however suggest not to walk down Prospect ave or Union ave at night lol.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbury Legend View Post
The Building at the intersection of Union/Prospect/Brush Hollow is no longer empty people live in that building...its actually a very nice looking building...and for the people that said New Cassel doesn't look so bad, what were you expecting?? It's still Long Island...I would however suggest not to walk down Prospect ave or Union ave at night lol.
Well I wish them luck. That whole area is severely infested with illegals. That little strip across from that building has Surenos tags all over and illegals hang out there and get drunk all the time.
A neighbor of mine told me that the illegal gangs have taken over the Chicken Joint and often start fights there.
I'd rather walk down Suffolk Highway 51 at night in the pine barrens than walk down that Union Ave area at night.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:15 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Default sorry i know this is an old thread

[quote=Johninwestbury;9834107]Well I wish them luck. That whole area is severely infested with illegals.

I know this is an old thread but I have to express something about his comment. JOHN, no matter how much you may dislike illegals they are not some insect or rodent living in your home. STOP CALLING THEM AN INFESTATION! They are people! Have a little respect for them and yourself. I'd like to think you're a bit more educated than that.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM
ztr

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Who ever wrote this information sounds like a racist who just does not like anything about black people or hispanic people. The buildings are empty because they built them wrong and it did not pass inspection. They have to be constructed over. There was never suppose to be a bank there you idiot. Lets stop being racist..... you demons or you will burn in hell for hating Gods people. If you don't know we are all gods people and God does not like anybody talking negative about those that he created.. Mediate on that!!!

Old 05-30-2011, 09:17 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
How can you be sure "brother" means "any other human being"?

Old 05-30-2011, 01:14 PM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
As much as I hate to agree with someone as racist JIW, New Cassel is probably the worst area of LI I've ever seen. You can fix up the streets and add brick paved sidewalks fancy streetlights etc, but that does not change the poverty situation there.

At least twice when I've driven down Prospect I've see kids climbing and swinging on the new signpost as if its a gym machine. I also think that the loitering situation is out of control. Why do 10 or so old men need to hang out in front of stores for hours?

Another time as I exited a corner store on prospect there was a toddler, all alone roaming around the streets crying for his mother.

I honestly dont know what else to say about NC except that its depressing and I'm glad I only have to go there a few times a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island