Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Your average house-hunting individuals were only a very small percentage of the actual foreclosure-sale buyers, at least back then. I suspect that things have not changed much regarding that. Buying a foreclosure property at the actual sale is not something that property newbies tend to get into or know much about handling.
Very true. You have to have the funding and the knowledge to get the right house on the foreclosure schedule at the lowest price. I know someone who buys tax liens and gets houses that way. I was surprised he was even into that. That's another murky area to the average non-RE investor person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
I've seen boarded up houses all over Nassau, some areas more than others. Surprisingly quite a few in North Merrick. I was also driving through the Bronx today (Soundview and Castle Hill) and noticed a whole lot of new burnt out buildings from the last time I was there. Seems like the recession is now becoming a lot more visible!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I've seen boarded up houses all over Nassau, some areas more than others. Surprisingly quite a few in North Merrick. I was also driving through the Bronx today (Soundview and Castle Hill) and noticed a whole lot of new burnt out buildings from the last time I was there. Seems like the recession is now becoming a lot more visible!
Jericho retail Mineola to Floral Park is a ghost town.

Is North Merrick Nice?

Crooks

Old 07-17-2009, 05:54 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
I was just up in Greenpoint and noticed Magic's place was empty. What do you do with an empty luxury condo/apartment with a great view of Manhattan?

http://curbed.com/tags/magic-johnson (broken link)

Magic Johnson's Greenpoint Condo, The Viridian, Is Bankrupt! - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Is North Merrick Nice?

Crooks
That stretch of 25 has always been a little sparse, haven't been over that way in awhile, though.

North Merrick is very nice....I'd say it's just on the cusp of being "upper-middle class", but I've seen around 5-7 boarded up homes and a handful of teardowns that have been nothing but empty lots for months now. To tell you the truth, this could be the case everywhere - it's just that I live nearby and from the looks of things, it has way more foreclosures and stalled construction projects than anywhere else in southeast Nassau.

It's a strong area, I'm sure in the long run most North Merrick residents won't lose their shirts.... just hits home to see the grizly effects of the credit crunch and mortgage fiasco right in my backyard.

ClarkStreet - I was in Greenpoint and Williamsburg tonight....WOW....that whole area has changed overnight. The trust funds have dried up and it's drug stabbing time. You could smell the heron oozing out the cracks in the sidewalk....

Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM

556 posts, read 1,445,798 times
Quote:
Funny, the house down the block was just on fire 2 days ago. But i have not noticed this trend of "a whole lot". I ride around alot, but Graffiti and crime to an extent are up.

But they are painting the 6 train, and the local kids where selling Lemonade! Never thought I would see that!

Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Is North Merrick Nice?

Crooks
I agree with Sean that there are some stretches where the locations on jericho have always been relatively vacant but here is another quick story for you--

In mineola, the location where my wife works part time, well the scoop I got on the owner of the building is that he owns the entire block or two, in addition to other commercial properties elsewhere. Has owned it for god knows how long. He has a few vacant locations in the mineola area but thats because he was difficult to deal with with his tenants. One place was in business for 35 years, and while he always paid his rent, since things started to slow down, while he was still paying his full amount, he was starting to feel the downturn. He asked the landlord if he could have some flexibility give or take a few days. Not a reduction in rent, just some flexibility in the date. 35 years in business is not a tenant I would worry about but anyway, the landlord said no; Pay on X day or get out....needless to say, the business packed up and moved out east of mineola and as far as I know, is doing fine. This was at least 9 months ago and the location has sat vacant since. The landlord also gave another tenant a hard time and they moved across the street for less rent. Once again, that location has sat vacant for months. Anyway, its just another possible explanation for some empty store fronts. I know in Floral Park, its always the same locations that go vacant and it does not matter what business type goes into the location so it always makes me wonder. Has made me wonder for years.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
That stretch of 25 has always been a little sparse, haven't been over that way in awhile, though.

North Merrick is very nice....I'd say it's just on the cusp of being "upper-middle class", but I've seen around 5-7 boarded up homes and a handful of teardowns that have been nothing but empty lots for months now. To tell you the truth, this could be the case everywhere - it's just that I live nearby and from the looks of things, it has way more foreclosures and stalled construction projects than anywhere else in southeast Nassau.

It's a strong area, I'm sure in the long run most North Merrick residents won't lose their shirts.... just hits home to see the grizly effects of the credit crunch and mortgage fiasco right in my backyard.

ClarkStreet - I was in Greenpoint and Williamsburg tonight....WOW....that whole area has changed overnight. The trust funds have dried up and it's drug stabbing time. You could smell the heron oozing out the cracks in the sidewalk....
Thanks Sean

Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
So that was what that smell was. The rate of change in places like Greenpoint which went from a mix of bad areas and OK areas, to a haven for those who couldn't afford Manhattan, to affluence and now to empty luxury buildings. The irony is that I remember Greenpoint being the pits as a few fellows attempted to rob me.

The part that's a kick in the shins is just when you think the other shoe has dropped there's still one more shoe ready to fall. I've been noticing a ripple effect where as one problem works it's way through the damage it did only shows up months later.

LI business bankruptcy filings surpass national rate -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzbank1712977913jul16,0,625322.story - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island