Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

431 posts, read 1,310,579 times

Advertisements

What happened Sick? Were you arrested???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:18 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
NOPE!! She wasn't on this one. Hopefully fri. I'll see her. Well hopefully for her.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM

12 posts, read 55,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Mmmm hmmm. Yes, it's as difficult as the bar or a CPA exam.

It doesn't mean your husband is a moron, that's not what I was saying. What I'm saying is that this is work for people who can't really do much else, but it pays enough that people with college degrees would forsake a professional career to sign up....I considered it strongly..I almost quit the job I was working to commit to the training full time.

The guys running the training class said that the first exam was the toughest..that the next few would be hard, but not as hard as what we had just gone through. I guess they were lying about that.

I don't blame anyone for signing on, but please, don't try to tell us that it's as hard as becoming a doctor or a lawyer. We've heard that from the SCPD and their disciples ad infinitum here too, no one buys it. The initiation rituals are jacked up to try to weed out those who aren't as committed because everyone knows what jackpot is on the other side of the obstacle course. These are positions that 90% of the adult population are qualified for.
No one can know what it's like unless they go through the entire training. No one buys it because they haven't been through it. And besides, no one would take the word of a conductor or cop, so the only proof would be from a volunteer to go through the process - which t'aint going to happen! When I said verbatim, I meant word for word, from a large thick book of rules. Replace a single word incorrectly (such as "a" instead of "the") and you get the question wrong. Pages upon pages of maps of every little detail of tracks has to be known by memory.

But really, I've found it's pointless to convince people. Go onto a rail board & you'll find further info just how in depth it is.
RAILROAD.NET • View topic - LIRR Labor Expenses
(start at page 1)

The LIRR is the hardest RR to qualify for. The first test your instructor spoke about was qualifying for ass't conductor/brakeman. The crazy tests begin with qualifying for conductor, which is a few years into their career, upon which they need to study while working.

I don't get why LIRR employees are singled out, when there are other careers much more unworthy of a higher salary. Honestly your local janitor can often be making the same base 75K salary that a conductor does. School lawyers getting multiple salaries. Exxon, Chase bank bringing in billions quarterly. Stock brokers living high on the hog. Really, choose your battles & focus on the real greed. And here on LI, why is a 75K base salary even argued about? It's one of a handful of very high cost living areas.

I understand that people get upset over fares. But really, the LIRR employee is getting anywhere from 0% to 3% salary increases per year. Which ultimately avg's out to 1-2%, since there have been many years that the union negotiated 0%. As for pension & retirement, employees have to pay for part of that, and believe me their paycheck takes a hit. 401K is matched 0%. Teachers get a much better benefit package than the RR (sometimes deservedly so, but sometimes not).

Old 07-25-2009, 05:59 PM

270 posts, read 969,626 times
Most of the frustration with the jobs you mentioned aren't due to the base salaries but due to the completely insane retirement pensions from the prevalent "gaming" of the system. LIRR is no exception - 97-98% of staff (including white collar) on disability upon retirement because it was easy to do, and everyone got approved. I admit, I don't blame the LIRR employees for doing it since everyone else was, but c'mon - that's just crazy. Then we have the professions where retirement pensions are based on the last x months of salary, including overtime - so when they know they're about to retire, they rake in the overtime to make sure they get the maximum possible retirement pay. Again, I can't say I blame them for doing it - it was easy to do and everyone was doing it.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-chica View Post
I don't get why LIRR employees are singled out, when there are other careers much more unworthy of a higher salary. Honestly your local janitor can often be making the same base 75K salary that a conductor does. School lawyers getting multiple salaries. Exxon, Chase bank bringing in billions quarterly. Stock brokers living high on the hog. Really, choose your battles & focus on the real greed. And here on LI, why is a 75K base salary even argued about? It's one of a handful of very high cost living areas.
You are not living in the real world if you think JANITORS on LI are getting a $75K base salary. Please see what the average FAMILY income is on LI and then tell me with a straight face that people who make little holes in pieces of paper for a living as their primary job duty should be making $75K base because its a "very high cost living area." Frankly, the private sector is SICK AND TIRED of being the "gravy train" for public employees on LI.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 AM

87 posts, read 174,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Well she did it again!! Headphones on, reading the paper she walks up and taps me on the shoulder. She says "are you doing this on purpose"? I said what, she says "listening to your headphones so loud?" So I tell her lady I'm here everyday same time same volume and I've never had a problem. She then goes on to tell me about hearing loss and "IF" someone complains she has to say something.

Which means to me she took it upon herself to say something. Nobody complained.

I say ok no prob, I turn it down and she taps me again. So I say "Lady, don't touch me" She flips out starts looking at another passenger saying"Let me say something, you are nasty and I feel bad for your wife." She then storms off.
Maybe the answer could be in one word: menopause ???

Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,579 times
I guess nothing came of this.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:33 AM

No I haven't seen her lately. But the fact that NOBODY else has said anything to me about them proves to me she had some sort of issue.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
No I haven't seen her lately. But the fact that NOBODY else has said anything to me about them proves to me she had some sort of issue.
Maybe she thought you'd fall in love with her when using her nag the man until he relents theory.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Maybe she thought you'd fall in love with her when using her nag the man until he relents theory.
Well it's been bulletproof so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island