Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,724 times

Advertisements

Conclusion:

There are numerous defectives and problem areas that should be addressed or corrected in order to preserve the integrity of the structure:

1. The roofing surface appeared to be outdated with cracked shingles, blisters, buckling and exposed roof nails. There is mold growth and mildrew found inside the attic along the roof sheathing due to inadequate ventilation. Provide additional soffit vents to facilitate cross ventilation and eliminate any source of mold growth.

2. Repair and secure the vertical support post for the rafters inside the attic.

3. There is evidence of live termite infestation detected inside the garage near the wall. Have a licensed exterminator treated the entire premise.

4. Replace the two defective electrical outlets inside the rear bedroom at the top floor.

5. The drainages at both the tub and sink are slow and sluggish where strong odor is detected from the sewer trap. Have a plumber cleaned the system accordingly.

6. Owner should provide documents indicating that the rear wood deck was constructed as per local building department rules and regulation.

7. There is a buried oil tank inside the premise. The tank must be inspected for leakage and contamination to the adjacent soil.

8. The boiler appeared to be corroded along the base and the heating exchanger shows sign of severe corrosion and leakage. The unit should be replaced immediately.

9. Repair the cracked and crumbling cement crown around the masonry chimney at the roof top.

10. Repair the buckled and craked support for the rear wood deck.

Here are the seller's reponse to the above problems:

Seller will give $2500 to fix problems listed in 1,2, 4, 9, 10. And he will schedule a chemical treatment for termite problem listed in No.3. Seller is willing to abandon the underground oil tank at his expense and we (the buyer) are willing to pay for the new above ground oil tank (cost of new tank plus installation). In the disclosure form, the seller's agent did mention the roof needs to be replaced in 3-4 years and the boiler needs to be replaced soon, so we are willing to buy a new boiler after closing at our expense.

My questions is : Can $2500 cover all the cost to fix 1,2,4,9,10? Is there anything we can negociate or the seller has to fix before closing?

We are first time home buyer and appreciate any comments from you guys! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 03:01 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,122 times
How big is the house? I'm thinking this $2500 wouldn't even cover the cost of a new roof.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Hi Limama4,

No, it won't cover the cost of a new roof, which usually cost 8k to 10k. $2500 covers the cost to put on another vent in the attic. I just don't know how much it would cost to repair defective electrical outlets, cracks etc which are listed in 1,2, 4,9,10?

Thanks for reply!

Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times
That won't even come close to covering half the price of the roof. I am no expert, but you could easily be looking at over $30,000 in repairs depending on the size of the property.

Thw roof will definately be around or over $10,000 and buying an oil tank and boiler could run you another $15,000 +.

even taking those out of consideration #1,2, 4,9,10 will definately be over $2500. (make sure to get estimates)

If it was me, I would run far away from this home or have the seller reduce the price by quite a lot (meaning $30,000+)

Mold and termite damage are also scary to have in a home and very hard to get rid of. No inspection is perfect, but those are major issues.

Good luck. With the current market, you shouldn't have to settle for this deal and you can easily break contract with no penalty because of the bad inspection.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
That won't even come close to covering half the price of the roof. I am no expert, but you could easily be looking at over $30,000 in repairs depending on the size of the property.

Thw roof will definately be around or over $10,000 and buying an oil tank and boiler could run you another $15,000 +.

even taking those out of consideration #1,2, 4,9,10 will definately be over $2500. (make sure to get estimates)

If it was me, I would run far away from this home or have the seller reduce the price by quite a lot (meaning $30,000+)

Mold and termite damage are also scary to have in a home and very hard to get rid of.

Good luck. With the current market, you shouldn't have to settle for this deal and you can easily break contract with no penalty because of the bad inspection.
I agree. Please post the asking price and what you are currently offering so any out-of-town lurkers can gasp, "OMG! They are paying that for such a wreck? Where we live for that we could buy a brand new McMansion with a 5 car garage!"

Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Wow, I am scared! The seller got an estimate of a new oil tank plus installation for around $1200. Does that sound reasonable? If that is the case, then a new boiler will cost more than 10k? Wow, that is a lot! Can anyone tell me how much would it cost to replace a boiler? Is furnace the same thing as boiler?

The agreed price on this property is 335k after $2500 credit from seller. Its lot size is 50x100 with 4beds and 2bath and 1.5car garage.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:04 PM

Btw, the seller was asking 350k for this property.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:08 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
I think the house has major issues.... as someone suggested, get 2 estimates for each job that needs to be fixed.... I can tell you that $2500 is not going to get you anywhere as some of the things (like No. 2) are vague and may cost you more than you think....
Do not sign the contract before you have a ballpark number for your expenses if the seller is not going to fix anything.... You can keep looking at other houses meanwhile, maybe you will find another house you like that may not have so many issues.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:16 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,122 times
Lilyanna

I would forget this house. I'm sorry, but I'm just telling you the truth. There are MAJOR issues with this house and could become a real money pit for you. Keep looking. Good Luck to you!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:29 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,390 times
I agree with many of the others in this thread. Keep looking for another house. There are way too many problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island