U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 AM

137 posts, read 123,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Fireflies -- yes.
Crickets -- yes.
Gnarly cicada skins on the siding and trees -- yes and blech!
Double blech!! I keep sweeping/hosing them off of the siding and patio, but every morning there's more.

A memorable cicada encounter

I was visiting family in Ohio when one of the 17 year broods did a mass hatching. In a moment of insanity, we decided to pack up the kids and head to a park along the river in Cinci. to catch the show. It was billed as "Bug Tour '04" and it was...interesting.

Of course, the little boys had a blast with their appreciation of all things yucky. My SIL & I had our hands full surreptitiously removing the clinging cicadas from each other and trying very hard not to scream. I'm quite proud of us both, we kept our revulsion contained to panicked stage whispers and frantic arm waving. There were a few people standing like statues, arms spread wide, letting the cicadas cover them. Communing with nature, I suppose. Braver folk than I.

Pro Tip:
Do not drive into a cicada hatching area at 70mph. Takes a long time to scrub the 'memories' off of the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM

498 posts, read 487,968 times
Default Cicadas

I've got cicada killers in my front lawn! They look like huge bees or wasps, they emerge from the ground and fly around looking for the cicadas. If you walk near them they fly towards you, kinda scary.

Very hard to kill them. I think I'd rather have the cicadas!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
I've got cicada killers in my front lawn! They look like huge bees or wasps, they emerge from the ground and fly around looking for the cicadas. If you walk near them they fly towards you, kinda scary.

Very hard to kill them. I think I'd rather have the cicadas!
Eastern cicada killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I seem to have a few myself, living in my neighbor's garage eaves. Huge creatures, they never cease patrolling. Being allergic to bees/etc., they really worry me.

Quote:
This ground-burrowing wasp may be found in well-drained, sandy soils to loose clay in bare or grass-covered banks
I guess they don't live under the eaves then, though that's where I see them. Must be in the ground somewhere nearby.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM

1,813 posts, read 3,361,764 times
For the most part, Cicada killers don't go after people. I've known people who have handled them without getting stung (I worked for an environmental research org). I think they are pretty cool. The flying at you thing is to scare you off so you don't eat them. Remember, every insect is something tasty to something larger than it so they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:58 PM

1,034 posts, read 531,113 times
Default The crickets

couldn't afford the property taxes and relocated to North Carolina.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:10 PM

939 posts, read 1,240,481 times
an adequate description of these camel crickets...

(don't click on link if you're offended by bad words)

A Case of the Crickets - City Desk - Washington City Paper

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM

939 posts, read 1,240,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
they are more scared of you than you are of them.
no, not true...

Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
For the most part, Cicada killers don't go after people. I've known people who have handled them without getting stung (I worked for an environmental research org). I think they are pretty cool. The flying at you thing is to scare you off so you don't eat them. Remember, every insect is something tasty to something larger than it so they are more scared of you than you are of them.
That's good to know. They've buzzed me in their attempts at intimidation (which works well!), but that's all they've done. I wouldn't truly do anything about them unless I absolutely must, everything has a purpose. Apparently, their purpose is to keep cicadas in check... and to scare the bejeebus outta me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
an adequate description of these camel crickets...

(don't click on link if you're offended by bad words)

A Case of the Crickets - City Desk - Washington City Paper
Oh! that's the bestest description yet of my reaction to these insect mammoths.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,532,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
they're tasty actually, don't knock em until you try.

Still no crickets.
Actually I heard that the Larva tastes like potato

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,532,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyriel View Post
Eastern cicada killer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I seem to have a few myself, living in my neighbor's garage eaves. Huge creatures, they never cease patrolling. Being allergic to bees/etc., they really worry me.

I guess they don't live under the eaves then, though that's where I see them. Must be in the ground somewhere nearby.
I think they are pretty cool (I like entomology though so all these creatures fascinate me). They really aren't very aggressive and they bite rather than sting.
Prof. Chuck Holliday's www page at Lafayette College Biology of cicada killer wasps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island