U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:29 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,444,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
For the most part, Cicada killers don't go after people. I've known people who have handled them without getting stung (I worked for an environmental research org). I think they are pretty cool. The flying at you thing is to scare you off so you don't eat them. Remember, every insect is something tasty to something larger than it so they are more scared of you than you are of them.

Yessss...totally agree! I think they are cool as well!
Lucky you having worked for an enviro research org!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 08:22 PM

35 posts, read 74,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
I'm in Centereach and noticed that the nights are unuaually quiet for summer. Anyone else notice this?
I also noticed that there aren't as many fire flies - but from another thread, I see that they are in abundance elsewhere on the island; I guess they moved away (?).
I'm also in Centereach...south of 25 behind L I Panel..plenty of fire flies....haven't noticed the cricket thing...I guess the kids are too noisy..

Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 PM

7,089 posts, read 7,794,169 times
Where are all the crickets?

I have a very specific type of hearing loss resultant upon proximity to a lot of gunfire and explosions, I hear crickets all the time, there is something just a bit strange when looking out over a large pasture after about 9 inches of snow, and I hear all the crickets.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:43 PM

7,459 posts, read 9,625,256 times
Crickets/cicadas are here! Last night, when I got out of my car, I couldn't believe the noise! Sounded like there were thousands in my oak trees

Old Today, 06:50 AM

1 posts
For the last 6 years, I've had lots in my Farmingdale basement apt. Probably about 1 or 2 per day and they are very hard to catch. Usually between May and September. But this year, I've seen none so far. WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island