Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 AM

270 posts, read 969,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
i guess non-white people tend to look for a diverse area so they dont have to worry about themselves and their children having problems "fitting in". most people wouldnt want to be the only black or hispanic family living in an all white neighborhood, just like most white families wouldnt want to be the only white family living in an all black neighborhood
I think this is pretty accurate. That being said, I'm in a mixed family myself and decided to choose a neighborhood based on school district and relative convenience to what we wanted to be near to. We ended up in a relatively non-diverse area and have fit in just fine.

I and many others have said it before - Long Island seems to care more about your financial standing than the color of your skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default You're Kidding, Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
I and many others have said it before - Long Island seems to care more about your financial standing than the color of your skin.
That's certainly not what the actual facts of the matter show for LI. Things are more diverse in suburbs EVERYWHERE else in the USA than here, including the deep south.

''African-Americans have faced isolation far more than any other group, especially on Long Island,'' said David Rusk, an international consultant on urban and suburban issues who analyzed the segregation patterns.

The central finding is that 74 percent of Long Island's blacks would have to move to be evenly dispersed across the population.

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb - The New York Times

Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 PM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's certainly not what the actual facts of the matter show for LI. Things are more diverse in suburbs EVERYWHERE else in the USA than here, including the deep south.

''African-Americans have faced isolation far more than any other group, especially on Long Island,'' said David Rusk, an international consultant on urban and suburban issues who analyzed the segregation patterns.

The central finding is that 74 percent of Long Island's blacks would have to move to be evenly dispersed across the population.

Study Calls L.I. Most Segregated Suburb - The New York Times
I'm not disputing that Long Island is racially segregated. That fact doesn't negate what I said about being treated as an equal despite being of dark skin color, simply because I fall within the same socioeconomic status.

Don't get me wrong, we should all be considered equals regardless of sex, color, creed, education, occupation, or wealth - but I do know that reality doesn't equal idealsm, just as correlation doesn't imply causation.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyguns View Post
How many white neighborhoods are violent how many white gangs are out there.
Whether it's a neighborhood in New York City or a neighborhood in a city, village or hamlet on Long Island, myself and other Jews almost always give a wide berth to predominantly blue-collar white Roman Catholic areas.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
I'm not disputing that Long Island is racially segregated. That fact doesn't negate what I said about being treated as an equal despite being of dark skin color, simply because I fall within the same socioeconomic status.

Don't get me wrong, we should all be considered equals regardless of sex, color, creed, education, occupation, or wealth - but I do know that reality doesn't equal idealsm, just as correlation doesn't imply causation.
See how you and yours are treated if several more black families move in and it "threatens" the rest of the neighborhood with being considered a "diverse area."

In another post, I mentioned a black couple that moved in on the next block and they are certainly not inner city types and paid a price for the home that does not reflect that either ($505K, $515K asking price). They improved the home and drive luxury cars and SUVs (Lexus and BMW). What more does the white middle class want from them to consider them "equal?"

Yet all I can see on these boards when it comes to Valley Stream is no matter how well off or how nicely they keep their home, the black residents that have moved to Valley Stream are viewed by the rest of LI as a LIABILITY that will definitely wreck the town.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyguns View Post
How many white neighborhoods are violent how many white gangs are out there.I just left Brooklyn .And moved to a lily white state no shootings no metal detectors in the schools All diverse really means is more crime.
Watch TV. Get cable. For starters, watch "Lock Up," "Gang Nation," and "Gangland." You will see how many whites are in jail ("Lock Up") and in gangs ("Gangland") all over the country and all over the world ("Gang Nation").

Old 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Whether it's a neighborhood in New York City or a neighborhood in a city, village or hamlet on Long Island, myself and other Jews almost always give a wide berth to predominantly blue-collar white Roman Catholic areas.
they also almost always give wide berth to white-collar white roman cathlic areas, black areas, hispanic areas, and the majority of the united states.

your point?

Old 07-22-2009, 11:39 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
LI isnt really a diverse place when you think about it. There's either mainstream supermarkets or bodegas. Where is there an asian or indian supermarket?
Things have improved enormously in the past few years! There's Patel Brothers in Hicksville (and tons of other South Asian stores and restaurants on 107 and some of the surrounding streets) H&Y in Plainview (Korean), more South Asian stores in the NHP/Bellerose area, H-Mart and I think some other Korean/Chinese stores (I can't remember!) in Great Neck. Iranian groceries in Great Neck/Kings Point and Roslyn. Hispanic foods, of course, and not just bodegas. Caribbean. Giant kosher supermarkets in the Five Towns. Italian delis and stores. Fairway, which has lots of gourmet and specialty items.

NJ does have more of the big warehouse stores, but that holds true for more than just ethnic groceries.

LI has come a long way from the days when you had to venture into NYC for any "ethnic" (ie not white) foods. It really is changing. The problem is that our tiny school districts and segregation patterns mask it. Look at the ethnic breakdowns for LI districts, then go to Montgomery County (MD) or Fairfax County (VA). Very different. (I'm using DC because the suburbs there use unified county districts.)

Old 07-23-2009, 06:12 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
While I agree that racism isn't a mindset that should be encouraged, I don't think that all racists can fairly be classified as 'jaded.'

The term 'jaded' implies an individual has become negative as a result of their own experiences.

Some people are racists as a result of less-than-ideal experiences with people of diverse backgrounds. In my opinion, those people are 'jaded.'

Other people, however, are racist because because they have been taught as much (i.e. due to upbringing/having a racist mentor). These individuals, in my opinion, are not jaded.

As far as everyone on this board that extolls the virtues of the Three Village area as overly progressive, I have to respectfully disagree. I like to think that there are strong (and growing stronger) bastions of fiscal (and slightly less-so social) conservatism here.

In other news, why don't you just concentrate on finding a nice house in a town as close to the water as you can afford. What's with all of these recent threads about race/diversity? I still haven't heard a convincing argument as to why diversity is better than a lack thereof.
I think that the problem here and I dont care what race you are because we all do it and it IS A PROBLEM is that everyone likes to place everything and everyone into little groups. there should only be two groups, Human and non human. Every man and woman should be judged only as an individual and with no preconceptions. Color shouldnt mean anything to anyone. We have the wrong set of values in place. people need to lose the pride also. proud to be black..proud to be white...blah blah blah.. you should be proud to be american...proud to be a father...a mother....proud of your accomplishments. Putting so much energy and emphasis into a petty thing like skin color... rediculous! I am White and my wife is half black half white. I was standing right next to her in Northport when someone yelled out of a car window to go back where you came from, I said she is from Huntington! I pity these people who live a slave to theyre fear. I moved to Mastic beach. A very diverse neigborhood. I have white neigbors , black neigbors and spanish neigbors. and my first week here I saw something I never saw before in Northport. I saw a black man and a white man on a porch talking and laughing....amazing. I have heard mixed reviews on the school district but what I gathered from it is if your kid wants to learn...they will do just fine.
Everyone told me not to move here...they said it was a horrible place to live, crime...drugs...gangs...I havent seen any of that. I ride my bike through all the neigborhoods all the time. Everyone is friendly white and Black people alike. They all mow theyre lawns, paint theyre fences. I get alot of waves when I ride by. Alot of mixed couples like my wife and I.
I love it here.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,025 times
Rocky point is a decent place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island