U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,487,015 times
Reputation: 505

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
So why then did you guy's do it for unique whips and his $300 dollar loss and not my multiple vehicle over $3200 loss.

Hammer i know the patrol officer doesn't do it... know one wanted to do anything.... Just another half assed job letting the criminal start his carreer and get a head start onto better crimes...

Im done talking with you officer and your higher then thou comments....maybe the alky on your end...
What are you talking about? This post is totally incoherent.

 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: home...finally, home .
8,074 posts, read 17,164,397 times
Reputation: 17226
Again, I will have to say that the local patrol officers here in Babylon Village are wonderful. We do have many emotionally disturbed teenagers , as well as homeless guys who hang out at the train station as well as in North Babylon's Sunset Plaza & the police officers treat them with care and do not allow them to disturb the peace of the village. I believe that the local patrols are the best thing about the SCPD.
It would be devastating they were moved to another location.
__________________
******************


People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
 
Old 07-24-2009, 10:22 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,487,015 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Again, I will have to say that the local patrol officers here in Babylon Village are wonderful. We do have many emotionally disturbed teenagers , as well as homeless guys who hang out at the train station as well as in North Babylon's Sunset Plaza & the police officers treat them with care and do not allow them to disturb the peace of the village. I believe that the local patrols are the best thing about the SCPD.
It would be devastating they were moved to another location.
One of the most important aspects of policing is regular contact with the public. A good cop knows the people and the happenings on his post. That makes it a whole lot easier to know when things aren't right and to take care of problems early. The idea of bouncing patrol cops from precinct to precinct defeats this basic precept of policing. If it's done to send a "message" to the union, it will eventually backfire and the public will suffer.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 06:43 AM
 
1,615 posts, read 2,961,716 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
So why then did you guy's do it for unique whips and his $300 dollar loss and not my multiple vehicle over $3200 loss.

Hammer i know the patrol officer doesn't do it... know one wanted to do anything.... Just another half assed job letting the criminal start his carreer and get a head start onto better crimes...

Im done talking with you officer and your higher then thou comments....maybe the alky on your end...
Lima looking at your posts you seem to have had a lot of run ins with the law...none good.

5dollar made his account here to just do some cop bashing.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 06:47 AM
 
1,615 posts, read 2,961,716 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Again, I will have to say that the local patrol officers here in Babylon Village are wonderful. We do have many emotionally disturbed teenagers , as well as homeless guys who hang out at the train station as well as in North Babylon's Sunset Plaza & the police officers treat them with care and do not allow them to disturb the peace of the village. I believe that the local patrols are the best thing about the SCPD.
It would be devastating they were moved to another location.
And that is exactly what is happening. And as response times go up and people, including police get hurt, Levy is going to point his finger and defame, slander, and accuse them of incompetence to further his agenda.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
874 posts, read 2,308,634 times
Reputation: 452
Moderator cut: orphaned quote

How much money do you think a police officer should make? I am not asking this out of anger or anything like that I am just curious what people writing in this thread feel police officers in Suffolk County (or even Nassau) should make on a yearly basis.

Last edited by Keeper; 07-25-2009 at 05:12 PM..
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Nassau County, Long Island
240 posts, read 157,424 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
How much money do you think a police officer should make? I am not asking this out of anger or anything like that I am just curious what people writing in this thread feel police officers in Suffolk County (or even Nassau) should make on a daily basis.
I think police officers should have a salary and benefits that is in line with county income and benefits. If the top salary were $70k, then a cop who works some OT can get to $100k pretty easily. With the amount of days off a cop gets and their benefits package, I believe this is fair. The sick/vacation payouts at retirement should end as well. Cops should take their vacation days so they are fresh at work. Retiring at 20 years is too early - increase that to 25 and now it's more fair.

The days of cops earning $135k after OT with free healthcare, retirement, lots of vacation, and the sick/vacation payout have to end.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Suffolk County, NY
874 posts, read 2,308,634 times
Reputation: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
I think police officers should have a salary and benefits that is in line with county income and benefits. If the top salary were $70k, then a cop who works some OT can get to $100k pretty easily. With the amount of days off a cop gets and their benefits package, I believe this is fair. The sick/vacation payouts at retirement should end as well. Cops should take their vacation days so they are fresh at work. Retiring at 20 years is too early - increase that to 25 and now it's more fair.

The days of cops earning $135k after OT with free healthcare, retirement, lots of vacation, and the sick/vacation payout have to end.
One of the reasons some of the things you write about occur (such as 20 year retirement, good pay, good benefits, etc.) is due to the fact that some of these things are needed to keep a police department's officers honest. If you remember in the early 70's when there was a large amount of corruption found in the NYPD one of the reasons the commission found as to the cause was the low pay. I personally do not condone any corruption by a police officer regardless of pay but it has actually been shown in studies that good pay does cut down on corruption. I think it also has to do with the people the job attracts.

The NYPD was having a hard time getting people to apply for the police job due to the low salary (starting pay was below $30,000 a year with small increments each year until the fifth year when they get to full salary). This caused the department to drop the requirements on applicants. For example, they made it that people can have the lowest class of felony on their record and become a police officer. Would you really want something such as this to happen to the Suffolk or Nassau police departments? I honestly do not believe that $135,000 per year is an extraordinary amount of money to pay officers whom CAN BE put in a life or death situation at any time.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:33 PM
 
939 posts, read 1,487,015 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
One of the reasons some of the things you write about occur (such as 20 year retirement, good pay, good benefits, etc.) is due to the fact that some of these things are needed to keep a police department's officers honest. If you remember in the early 70's when there was a large amount of corruption found in the NYPD one of the reasons the commission found as to the cause was the low pay. I personally do not condone any corruption by a police officer regardless of pay but it has actually been shown in studies that good pay does cut down on corruption. I think it also has to do with the people the job attracts.

The NYPD was having a hard time getting people to apply for the police job due to the low salary (starting pay was below $30,000 a year with small increments each year until the fifth year when they get to full salary). This caused the department to drop the requirements on applicants. For example, they made it that people can have the lowest class of felony on their record and become a police officer. Would you really want something such as this to happen to the Suffolk or Nassau police departments? I honestly do not believe that $135,000 per year is an extraordinary amount of money to pay officers whom CAN BE put in a life or death situation at any time.
Good post. But you're wasting your breath. This individual only wants to bash cops. He has no interest in hearing a reasonable explanation for police compensation.
 
Old 07-25-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Nassau County, Long Island
240 posts, read 157,424 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
One of the reasons some of the things you write about occur (such as 20 year retirement, good pay, good benefits, etc.) is due to the fact that some of these things are needed to keep a police department's officers honest. If you remember in the early 70's when there was a large amount of corruption found in the NYPD one of the reasons the commission found as to the cause was the low pay. I personally do not condone any corruption by a police officer regardless of pay but it has actually been shown in studies that good pay does cut down on corruption. I think it also has to do with the people the job attracts.

The NYPD was having a hard time getting people to apply for the police job due to the low salary (starting pay was below $30,000 a year with small increments each year until the fifth year when they get to full salary). This caused the department to drop the requirements on applicants. For example, they made it that people can have the lowest class of felony on their record and become a police officer. Would you really want something such as this to happen to the Suffolk or Nassau police departments? I honestly do not believe that $135,000 per year is an extraordinary amount of money to pay officers whom CAN BE put in a life or death situation at any time.
$135k by itself isn't crazy... but add in the number of days off, the free healthcare, the free pension that is inflated with OT, and you get a ridiculous compensation package. The median household income of Suffolk is around $80k, so with benefits a cop makes double what the median household makes - I'm sorry but that's nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top