U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 07:23 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,728,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I am up there quite often. Most of the homes for sale are not FSBO; there is a village law forbidding Realtor advertising signs. The signs have phone numbers only.

That written:

A few of the homes for sale up there are flips; I nearly bought the one just north of Old Field Woods Rd on the west side of Old Field Road prior to the flipper who is currently trying to sell it.

As someone else posted, there is a house or two whose owners bought beyond their means -- Old Field isn't as old money as it used to be. A few of my old time Old Field acquaintances bemoan the changes which have been brought about by new money.

One of my friends is relocating (husband's job moved) and is trying to sell her house. A few homes for sale over there are the same thing.
Thats a shame
It used to be major old money back in the day.
Still beautiful.

The weird signs now make sense.
Is something up with Conscience Bay?
It seems theyre all on the bay side.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 09:12 PM

13,759 posts, read 15,745,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats a shame
It used to be major old money back in the day.
Still beautiful.

The weird signs now make sense.
Is something up with Conscience Bay?
It seems theyre all on the bay side.

Crooks
Nothing all with the bay that I know about. The old Old Fielder I mentioned in my previous post lives on the bay side and would be the first one to make it known if there were an issue with the bay/bay side.

Some of what is happening up there is the result of the new slate of village trustees (new money) and what I've noted previously. Another thing I failed to note was there are a couple of homes up for sale where totally insane renovations have been done on adjacent properties.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Its not just Old Field. I was on the Island last weekend for the first time in years! We stayed in Old Stony Brook. Took a drive through Head of the Harbor and noticed the same thing. An above average amount of houses for sale. If I could afford one I would be buying one!

I think we have some people trying to make a few bucks on their homes before the market bottoms out, too. There are several homes on Christian Ave for sale -- one is a flip that has been sitting for a long time as it is overpriced. Another came on the market recently. Yet another has been on the market a while; it's an older home by the 3VI which is another flip that someone is pricing too high. Another house on Christian (north side, east of Sand St) is up for sale for a while -- again, overpriced. That owner recently retired and is relocating. Someone else on Cedar St put their home on the market recently -- another flip which they worked on for way too long.

On Erland, my friend's house is for sale for $1.4 million. I wish I had the $ for that one -- it is a spectacular older home on the bluff with a fabulous water view. There's a smaller home on Erland up for sale at $399K -- I think that one is going to sell fast.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:09 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,412,614 times
Quote:
There are several homes on Christian Ave for sale ...
If there was going to be a Young Israel of Old Field, it's highly unlikely it would be on Christian Avenue!

Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 PM

LOL @ Walter!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 AM

4,193 posts, read 68,335 times
The higher priced houses will probably sit. My friends house in Head of the harbor sat for about 2 years before it sold for 1m less than it was priced originally. Yes, i said 1m.

And then you should hear the taxes!!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:51 AM

7,658 posts, read 10,728,421 times
Quote:
Nothing all with the bay that I know about. The old Old Fielder I mentioned in my previous post lives on the bay side and would be the first one to make it known if there were an issue with the bay/bay side.

Some of what is happening up there is the result of the new slate of village trustees (new money) and what I've noted previously. Another thing I failed to note was there are a couple of homes up for sale where totally insane renovations have been done on adjacent properties.
Thanks Bee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island