Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 22,849 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have recently sold our home and are looking at two houses on the market. One is in greenlawn, in the college section. The other is in the point of woods section in south huntington. The house in south huntington is much nicer, but the school district is not as reputable. What do people think of Walt Whitman HS? Also, can anyone tell me about the college section of greenlawn (just south of Pulaski)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,038,312 times
If you're looking at the Point of Woods ranches, there are a couple on the market in the Elwood SD on a nice, quiet street...

Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,725,629 times
Personally, I would go with S. Huntington, although the college section of Greenlawn is also nice.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,570,849 times
3boysunder6, when you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks. The house in point of woods is definitely in the south huntington school district. Would that sway any one's decision?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM

22,618 posts, read 36,545,747 times
I wouldn't be swayed by the school district so much. You're really talking about comparing apples and applesfor the most part when you're talking about LI school districts. My nephew was going to go to Whitman before they moved away and she was fine with it and she's a teacher (he was going into 9th grade when they moved).

Also - if your kids are all really under 6, a lot can change. Plus not to scare you but there are things you never hear about until your kids are actually in the school and no one is going to tell you about them because they don't want it to affect re-sale. I know of one VERY highly rated school district on LI where there is a small but growing heroin problem at the HS. It's becoming quite serious but no one, not even the HS parents, will acknowledge or talk about it.

I have a friend who lives in the college section of Greenlawn. Very nice area. She's lived there for 15 years and wouldn't consider moving.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:50 AM

405 posts, read 1,765,698 times
We're looking to buy in the college section of Greenlawn too. I love that neighborhood. I have 2 boys under 5. FWIW, we've essentially crossed S. Huntington off our list due to schools--not b/c there's really anything wrong with them, per se (because I think ALL of the systems around here are great), but we'd just rather stay in SD6 if we can. Greenlawn is also just a little more centrally located and closer to the beach! Good luck!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 AM

175 posts, read 655,452 times
If you have kids in school, Harborfields and S. Huntington aren't remotely on the same level, and this is coming from someone that has lived in both districts. In the local area, S. Huntington is universally considered the worst district and Harborfields is considered the best with the exceptions of Half Hollow Hills (basically a push) and Cold Spring Harbor (completely different economic base.) If you have kids going to public school, go for Greenlawn and don't think twice.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the responses. I would prefer to be in Harborfields but the house needs alot of work. The house in South Huntington is in beautiful condition, on a beautiful piece of property, BUT I recently learned, backs up to St. Anthony's HS. I have concerns about the noise level, athletic fields, etc. My husband really wants the south huntington house. Any thoughts about living next to a high school? My realtor thinks this house in south huntington is a good deal, but I don't know......

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 AM

175 posts, read 655,452 times
FYI, according to School Digger, S. Huntington SD is ranked 2 stars out of 5 and is ranked 387th in the state. Harborfields is ranked 5 stars out of 5 and 36th in the entire state. I'd rather do the work on the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island